Question for Mark Hammer

Started by Carlos Best, September 18, 2003, 09:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlos Best

Mark:
I found the Jon Gaines noise gate at your site and i want to know if I could use it with a 17v single power supply and a voltage divider.

Here it is the schematic for what I'm planning to do.
www.geocities.com/cfb_ar2000/noisegate.zip

Mark Hammer

In principle you can, but bear in mind that the operating characteristics of the FET and the functioning of the threshold circuit will function differently as you change the supply voltage.  The detector circuit is essentially a comparator that asks the musical question "Is it louder than *this*?" in order to determine whether action is taken.  The "this" is a reference voltage tapped from the supply.  So, if you used a different supply voltage with the identical circuit that is posted, your reference points would be off.  This means that the relevant component values need to be changed.

Make sense?

The zip-file you linked to comes up here as an invalid zip-file, so I can't open it to check it.

Arno van der Heijden

QuoteThe zip-file you linked to comes up here as an invalid zip-file, so I can't open it to check it.

Hmm... Works for me  :roll:

Marcos - Munky

To use direct links in Geocities, you need to put a ? after the address, like this:
//www.geocities.com/cfb_ar2000/noisegate.zip?

Carlos Best

Guys:
Thank you very much for your responses.

I thought it will be the same 'cause 17/2 is pretty close to +/- 9 volts.
Well...

Try with this links
http://ar.geocities.com/cfb_ar2000/