Digital Reverb, what to go for ?

Started by Krinor, October 01, 2007, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krinor

Hi,

I realize that I need a versatile reverb pedal, and since I don't have time (or space) to build a real plate reverb I guess I'll have to do with a digital emulation. But the question is: Which one should I go for, and why ? Does anyone here have some objective suggestions ?

MetalGuy

If we're talking real digital reverbs currently only the Femtoverb project is available /search the forum/.
The other interesting chip is Spinsemi's FV-1 - checkout their site for demo projects schematics and PCBs.
I'm currently working on a FV-1 project but it will take at least one more month before it's test ready.

Krinor

Thanks for the input.
After having read some of the threads about the Femtoverb I realize that this project is way to complicated for me at present.
Guess I'll just have to buy a commercially available pedal. Any suggestions ?

cheeb

I love my E~H Holy Grail. I don't really use the Flerb very often, but my Grail is almost always on. The spring function is pretty darn convincing and the hall is just beautiful. Besides, with all the pedals and all the knobs on my pedalboard, anything that sounds good with just one knob and that has a knob big enough that I can adjust it with my foot is a very good thing.

anchovie

If you want a simpler option for building your own, Profusion in the UK offer a couple of PCB assemblies based around the same chip as the Femtoverb.

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/prodGen.html?prdtyp=reverb#
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Krinor

Thanks for the link James.
The EH Holy Grail sounds great.
Has anyone tried the Marshall Reflector reverb ?

MetalGuy

QuoteAfter having read some of the threads about the Femtoverb I realize that this project is way to complicated for me at present.

Only two complications with this projects are possible:
1/ If you don't have experience with soldering SMDs /like most of us/
2/ To get the right encoder

QuoteIf you want a simpler option for building your own, Profusion in the UK offer a couple of PCB assemblies based around the same chip as the Femtoverb.

This is also a good idea.
There was actually no real reverb  DIY project before Femtoverb because it wasn't  easy to reproduce the reverb sound with the usual analog parts.

Processaurus

I had an EH Holier grail, and ended up liking the Line 6 verbzilla a lot more, in spite of the inferior name.  It's really great.  It doesn't have any of the perceived volume drop issues of the HG, plus it has a knob for pre delay, decay, and a tone knob, which is a nice option on a reverb, to get it to sit back in the mix.  I don't know if it was my particular holier grail had something wrong with it, or if the signal going in wasn't the right level, but the actual reverb sound always sounded kind of grainy and degraded/distorted somehow.

ItZaLLgOOd

QuoteIf you want a simpler option for building your own, Profusion in the UK offer a couple of PCB assemblies based around the same chip as the Femtoverb.

Is it really as easy as it looks??  Solder up some in/output jacks and some sort of switching for the presets?
Lifes to short for cheap beer

anchovie

Quote from: ItZaLLgOOd on November 10, 2007, 07:57:18 PM
Is it really as easy as it looks??  Solder up some in/output jacks and some sort of switching for the presets?

Yes, the complete audio circuit is on the board.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

AM

Quote from: Processaurus on October 04, 2007, 09:15:51 PM
I had an EH Holier grail, and ended up liking the Line 6 verbzilla a lot more, in spite of the inferior name.  It's really great.

Hi. I just checked some samples of the Verbzilla after reading  Ben's post. +1 on the Verbzilla. It really sounds very very good.

I also have another suggestion and a question at the same time. I've got one of those Korg Toneworks AX3G units. I initially got it only for practicing  when traveling. Upon closer inspection I found out a pretty nice delay/reverb section. It offers hi AND low dump parameters on top of the usual mix and delay parameters for the reverbs. Also tone control for the delays section. There is a plate reverb simulation there that with the right tweaking gave me a nice servicable reverb. There are also room and hall settings which are cool and a spring type simulation which sounds crap. It's around 50 smackers and if you also consider that the unit can double as a tuner offering silent tunning and some other bells and whistles it could easily replace two or even more pedals on your board. It's on my board under trial period. As I said, although I purchased to use for practicing when traveling, I'm flirting with the idea of leaving it on my board as a reverb/tuner unit. On the downside, the thing is made out of plastic. As a reverb though I can't imegine it being stomped too much. It's also one of the very few mass produced items made in Japan and not China.....whatever that's worth.....
Does anybody else tried it as a reverb? Any opinions?