Passive tremolo video. Let me know what you think?

Started by darron, October 07, 2007, 04:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Quote from: foxfire on December 13, 2007, 07:13:26 PM
i tried oe of AMZ's basic jfet buffers in front and behind the trem and, the trem ticked in both places. with the buffer in front it lessened the trem effect and ticked. and with the trem in front of the buffer it increased the trem's effect, almost too much though. it all but cut the signal to a mute and, rendered most of the depth pot useless and it ticked. i wired the buffer and trem so that they shared the battery so i'm guessing thats why it ticked. i'm out of battery clips.

hey firefox. thanks for that report. did you try adding that extra cap? that may very well sort you out for ticks. i know the design isn't perfect. originally i just posted a video of something that i thought was cool, but now it's almost a project.

it's in ALPHA people (:

still... i might use it for some clean recordings, since I think when it works it works supremely well. it's just not a practical design yet hehe
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

foxfire

if you mean the 10uf from pin7 to ground then yes i had that in there and it still ticked unfortunately. 

darron

here's a video for two led's going out of phase.

this should make a proper voltage divider huh? i guess i'll find out....

link

darron

Quote from: darron on December 15, 2007, 12:20:33 AM
here's a video for two led's going out of phase.

this should make a proper voltage divider huh? i guess i'll find out....

link

no go. went for an active design.

here's the active version. pcb completed. jfet buffered input. lfo switches off in bypass mode.

please ignore my curtains, my mother got them for me when i was young for a space-themed room haha :P

http://www.dazatronyx.com/temp/active-optical-tremolo.mov

jakenold

AWESOME CURTAINS!

Don't care much about the tremolo....  ;D

darron

andrew_k

Quote from: darron on January 13, 2008, 06:27:40 AM
here's the active version. pcb completed. jfet buffered input. lfo switches off in bypass mode.
Any chance of you sharing the schematic of this version? Pleeeaaase?

darron

Quote from: andrew_k on April 20, 2008, 04:54:59 AM
Quote from: darron on January 13, 2008, 06:27:40 AM
Any chance of you sharing the schematic of this version? Pleeeaaase?

oh man. that was a whole version ago... :P here's what it's looking like now:

two PCBs :S

i'm pretty unhappy to say that the project STILL isn't satisfactory. i boxed that last version up and everything was working great. i played around and loved it. then i plugged it in and started using a power supply and it threw everything out of whack. those few millivolts seem to make a difference. the next version's going to need a regulator i guess, which couldn't hurt. then i'd need to work out all of the values for the components again around the new system. my schematic is hand draw, not TOO badly but a bit messy. i can give you the pcb layout with component values for this or the previous version, but you'd probably be better off waiting of building a tremulus lune. it's my first try at designing an effect from scratch and i've almost reached too far. i'll get there in the end but i think i'll make some booster layouts and stuff along the way.

thanks for giving me a nudge (:

edit: the small pcb mounted to the pots is for all of the LFO circuity. the main one is just for the bypass and opamps.

trendyironicname

do you think we could use the out of phase one as a stereo pan?  Each side going to a separate output.   
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

darron

Quote from: trendyironicname on April 21, 2008, 04:02:23 PM
do you think we could use the out of phase one as a stereo pan?  Each side going to a separate output.   

yep. that's one idea. then it wouldn't be too difficult to add a switch for in phase and out of phase which would add a lot of versatility.

DougH

I love your passive tremolo idea. I love ideas like this.:icon_wink:  I'll have to try it out.

Thanks for sharing!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

arma61

hi there

a short question

that cap beween pins 1&2 is a:

a) 22uF non electro (?!)

b) 22 uF electro

c) .22 uF non electro

it seems I cannot find any 22uF non electro, do they exist?

Thx 4 help
Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

foxfire

Quote from: arma61 on April 24, 2008, 03:24:11 PM
hi there

a short question

that cap beween pins 1&2 is a:

a) 22uF non electro (?!)

b) 22 uF electro

c) .22 uF non electro

it seems I cannot find any 22uF non electro, do they exist?

Thx 4 help
Armando

the answer is B. rylan

arma61

Quote from: foxfire on April 24, 2008, 03:31:06 PM

the answer is B. rylan

Thx rylan,  there's no polarity showed on the PDF file. I could have give a try but I'm always reluctant to put an electro instead of a non electro, always scared it blow up!

I just put a 33uf electro in my breaboard and it's  working fine (at list the LEDs are blinking!), need to learn now what the 3 pots are really doing!

thx again
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

darron

i put a non-polarized electro in there. polarized seemed alright though. you can put a 33uf in there. that capacitor, in relation to the 'rate' pot will set the speed. 33uf will make it all run a little bit slower, which could be more useful. if you change the value of the resistor that's in series with the rate pot it will adjust the maximum speed that you can reach. smaller resistance is for faster max speed.

don't get too excited about building it. it sounded really cool but it's not very compatible with a lot of setups. the active version works really well, but it just need to add a power regulator into the mix in the next layout, when i can find the time.

arma61

Quote from: darron on April 24, 2008, 09:28:01 PM

don't get too excited about building it. it sounded really cool but it's not very compatible with a lot of setups. the active version works really well, but it just need to add a power regulator into the mix in the next layout, when i can find the time.

yes Darron, that's what we are all waiting for!, but in the mean time I'm enjoying it.

good job so far!

Cheers
Armando