stocking your bench

Started by JIG, March 14, 2005, 01:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

I got a couple of bulk packs of resistors, pots, transistors and capacitors very cheaply off e-bay but you have to be careful what you are bidding on, I have seen 1000 items of one value of cap for sale. I have got stuff that I will never use but the rest has kept me going. Most components are only a few pence so it's worth spending £5 to £10 and building up a reserve of the most popular items which I have found to be 1K, 10K, 22K, 47K, 100K, 470K and 1M resistors. Caps I'd say are 1n, 10n, 100n, 1u, 10u and some of the in between 4.7s and 47s. NPN transistors are probably 2N3904s and ICs TL071, TL072.
Col

rubberlips

I agree, a nice supply of 1K, 10K, 47K, 100K and 1M resistors never go astray. Same as 10nF, 100nF, 1uF and 10uF caps.

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

littlegreiger

Anyone know where to buy pots in bulk?

harmonic

For those in the UK, you might find these packs useful:
- Rapid Online E12 Resistor pack
- Rapid 224-piece ceramic cap kit
- Rapid 120-piece Electrolytic Radial caps kit

Lots of nice stuff on that site!

Anyone got a good place for stuff from the UK?

rebelred

Found this through the wiki. Has anyone purchased the 1000+ piece grab bag from jameco? Is it worth while to order or would I get a bunch of stuff I'm likely to not use?

mikemaddux

Quote from: JIG on March 16, 2005, 01:23:42 AM
What is in the IC pack? Are there any SIP's. Dual op amps? Looking for the ones most often used in effects,JRC4558, TL072, NE5532, LF353 etc.?

And how about the IC sockets? Can you split the 16 pinner into a long 8 pinner for an SIP? Same goes for transistor sockets.

I just don't want to spend money for stuff I won't find a use for. :roll:

JIG

Just got the Transistor Pack and IC pack from Futurlec and it came with:
6- 78L05
1- HA17555
5- CN012
5- 2N2907
5- 2SC1815
5- C9013
6- NE555P
1- L7915CV
5- BC107
10- BC337
4- LM358
6- UA741CN
4- LM324N
4 - LM339N
1- LM311P
10- 2N2222
10- BC327
10- BC548
5- BC549
10- BC338
10- BC547
1- 7905CT
5- L7812CV
1- HA17458
1- NE556N
1- 78L12
1- L7806CV
1- L7815CV
6- L7805CV

:)
Completed Builds: A lot...

smallbearelec

Quote from: dosmun on March 16, 2005, 08:48:46 AM
It would be cool if Small Bear would have some IC, Cap, Resistor packs with things that are more geared toward the DIY FX thang.  Hint Hint :D

Note that I do offer some resistor and cap assortments at reasonable prices, as well as bulk-packed individual values and blank storage boxes. There is nothing to stop the buyer from "rolling-his-own" assortment by buying a jewel box or compartmented storage box for a few bucks and having us stuff it to spec.

I have also considered getting 16-drawer plastic "organizers" like the ones made by Akro-Mills and marketing component assortments around those. But I found the domestic versions too expensive to buy wholesale in less than Wal-Mart-size quantities, so stocking enough would take too much of my floor space. This is one of those times when I  question my original choice to build the Cave in an urban setting. Again, however, this is another opportunity for the individual customer to get creative. If you watch for organizers on sale at Lowes, Home Depot or Container Store, you can get some pretty good deals. Have at it, and come to the Cave (or any of many other sources) to fill 'er up!

syndromet

Here is a little something that might help you when it comes to drill sizes and transistor swapping.
www.syndromet.com/drill.pdf
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

studiostud

Quote from: syndromet on February 26, 2009, 06:02:20 AM
Here is a little something that might help you when it comes to drill sizes and transistor swapping.
www.syndromet.com/drill.pdf

Great article, syndromet!  The only downside was that the drill sizes were in metric which doesn't play well with us American folk.  I noticed the file is on your server.  Did you make it?  If so, it would be really useful to have both metric and standard hole sizes listed.  How 'bout it?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

defaced

I just did a massive stock up order from Tayda electronics - mainly caps, IC sockets, ICs, LEDs and pots.  Best prices on pots I've seen (0.40 cents each) and really good prices on most everything else we need.  I have been very pleased in the quality of everything by their 1/4" jacks.  I wouldn't use them for a "real" build, but for prototyping/breadboarding they're fine.  If you pop Tayda into the search you can see all of the discussions about them. 
-Mike

Electron Tornado

As some have already mentioned, when you order online, always buy extra. Every time I get ready to order something, I also check to see if I'm running low on anything and add it to the order.

If you're looking for a cheap source of spare parts, have a look at this article: http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/content/spare-parts-save-more-money
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

wormfooduk

Good way of getting LEDs on the cheap, in the uk halfords sell a magnetic led light with 24 super bright LEDs in for £5.99. It's very easy to remove them. It's a shame because it's a nice little light but when it £6 for 5 super brights in maplin it makes it a easy choice.

Scruffie

Quote from: wormfooduk on December 18, 2010, 08:38:06 AM
Good way of getting LEDs on the cheap, in the uk halfords sell a magnetic led light with 24 super bright LEDs in for £5.99. It's very easy to remove them. It's a shame because it's a nice little light but when it £6 for 5 super brights in maplin it makes it a easy choice.
For £7.20 you can get 24 Super Brights From Bitsbox, On Ebay Alot More so aslong as you stay away from Rapid & Maplin...

goulashnakov

I had good luck at Radio Shack with both their 1/4W resistor assortments, and their 20-pack assorted LED's (not any super-brights, but usually at least a couple that work well enough as indicators, and a few pairs of decent choices for when LED clippers are needed). 

Also, I found a good clearance deal at a local Hobby-Lobby for a dandy little 12-drawer organizer.  Most craft stores like HL, Michaels, etc. will have various sorts of multi-compartment storage containers for craft beads and what have you.  I'd look there for ideal small parts organizers before hitting up that massive department-store atrocity whose name rhymes with "Ball-Mart."    :P ;D
"[It] ain't about 'Booty.'  It's about Tranzzistahs... ya dig?"

twabelljr

I have aquired ALOT (hundreds) of capacitors of different types and values from old electronics as recommended above. So far they have all been good. Also some good IC's and transistors. I just spread the word to friends and family that if they have any equipment they don't use and want to get rid of I will throw it away for them. You will be suprised how much stuff people will give you. Most of the film and disc types have plenty of lead length to work with and are easy to remove just by pinching them and gently pulling while you move your iron from lead to lead. Electrolytics with 16v ratings or higher are plentiful. Double sided through hole boards are difficult to de-solder. Resistors, and diodes are best to buy in bulk. 500 count resistor assortment from Rat Shack right around the corner was only $5.99. Their 1N914 and 400x diode and LED packs are reasonable. The things hard to scavenge and are best bought new are pots, audio jacks and power jacks. You will need enclosures and stomp swithces. I order those from Aron or Small Bear and get pots, jacks, sockets, IC's and trannies in the same order. You will also find a good transformer in most used electronics to hang on to if ever needed. One friend gave me a "broken" DVD recorder with a hard drive that I was able to fix by replacing two caps in the HDD power supply and use to this day. And the caps I fixed it with were scavenged! If you don't want to be bothered with the dis-assembly and de-soldering (I enjoy the "treasure hunt") then use the mail order suppliers that have been mentioned. Making your shopping list is the hardest part.
Shine On !!!

deadastronaut

superbright blues?...

6 lighters with blue led 5mm's in for a £1.00...poundshops...

1 led in maplins is £1.89...ripoff or what....

i always look out for cheapo kids toys...with leds in too....

or theres always ebay...finger lights...8 fora £1.00.  2XRED 2X AMBER 2X GREEN 2XBLUE..superbrights too.....the amber and green are very nice...from hong kong/china.

i just bought some battery xmas lights 25 bright leds..with a flat top....for 75p...they all run off 4.5v..all colours too...amazing...so ive cut them up  :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jefe

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 18, 2010, 11:52:34 AM
i just bought some battery xmas lights 25 bright leds..with a flat top....for 75p...they all run off 4.5v..all colours too...amazing...so ive cut them up  :icon_mrgreen:

That sounds interesting! I was just wondering the other day if anyone sells flat top LEDs for cheap, but didn't bother doing a search (it was just kind of a passing thought). I'm getting a bit bored with the standard dome-topped LEDs.

deadastronaut

yeah they are getting more popular now, ive seen them in a few things lately...these are 3mm...green blue red yellow.

just tried taking a photo, but my phone needs charging... :icon_rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

rousejeremy

FWIW, if you want to secure your pots by drilling a small hole for those little knubs the hole will be 1/8". I'm writing this more for me as a reference.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com