Quick and easy diode sorting questions

Started by Rodgre, October 22, 2007, 12:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I was doing my centennial parts drawer organization over the weekend.

I've been using 1N914 and 1N4148 diodes interchangeably since I don't know when. Are they in fact essentially the same diode?

I also found an assortment of 1N400X series silicon diodes and I always assumed that for DIY pedal use, they were all the same, just with different voltage handling capabilities. Is this correct?

I found a few assorted germanium diodes as well: 1N34, 1N260, 1N949. Is there any reason why these wouldn't react identically when used as clipping diodes?

Last but not least, is it my eyes, or is it nearly impossible to read the printing on some of those diodes without an electron microscope!? :)

Thanks.
Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Rodgre on October 22, 2007, 12:22:15 PM
I've been using 1N914 and 1N4148 diodes interchangeably since I don't know when. Are they in fact essentially the same diode?
....yes.

I also found an assortment of 1N400X series silicon diodes and I always assumed that for DIY pedal use, they were all the same, just with different voltage handling capabilities. Is this correct?
....yes

I found a few assorted germanium diodes as well: 1N34, 1N260, 1N949. Is there any reason why these wouldn't react identically when used as clipping diodes?
....close, but not identical. Hear the difference? Maybe, maybe not. My money is on 'not'.

Last but not least, is it my eyes, or is it nearly impossible to read the printing on some of those diodes without an electron microscope!? :)
....these days, even the electron microscope is hard to see.....