News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

What OD?

Started by Shawbrook, August 16, 2012, 07:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawbrook

Hi. I'm currently using a Bad Monkey for my overdrive needs (when I'm not using the drive on my Vox AC15C1), which is okay if a bit mid-y. I want to try something else though, something more transparent, more bluesy. Maybe something like this. It should fit into a B enclosure. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

rockhorst

Well, since the Bad Monkey is a Tube Screamer (IIRC), and you obviously like it, and this is a DIY forum...Build a tube screamer and tweak it to your liking! Madbean just released the Green Bean a while ago, lots of modability. For a more open, transparent sound, cut of the buffers so you get a Son of Screamer type setup. Madbean's Neutrino has been discontinued, but you can still get boards over at his forums. Personally I love that one (Eternity clone). The midrange is easily overcome with a cap change in the feedback loop, or by adding a pot (as in the ZenDrive)

Happy hunting!
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Shawbrook

That's probably a good idea, I'll look into it. Thanks! :)

By the way, what about the Valvecaster? I've been meaning to build one, just because of the idea of having a pedal with a tube sticking out of it, but does it sound like what I want?

Earthscum

From what you describe, you might try the ZenDrive with normal clipping diodes and a 4558 op amp. I think you would dig on the versatility.

eta: ZenDrive = TubeScreamer with Rat Tone Control and method of controlling that heavy mid tone of the TS. 4 knobs.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

asatbluesboy

I'd build a Dirty Little Secret or a D+ -- the latter if you don't mind some extra grit.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

tubelectron

QuoteI want to try something else though, something more transparent, more bluesy

DOD Overdrive Preamp 250, the "yellow RI" version. Settings at 50/50 or close, and played quite loud. You won't have "the sound, but...", you will have "the sound, period.", that is to say smoothness and transparency. I mean that the guitar tone and the player's touch are respected, unlike on the Tube Screamer which "format" the sound irremediably.

You can also take the "grey" version schematic and replace the resistor before the clipper from 10K to 100K, and you have closely the "Yellow RI" model.

Have a quick look to my Tri-Ang VB 449 thread, for an idea...

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

jafo

Lotta options... I've gotten very pleasing results out of a fetzer valve (revised) followed by a volume control then a minibooster, all J201 JFETs, but I think that two fezters in series would be more of what you're looking for. Either configuration offers a great deal of potential gain, but with a volume control between stages you should be able to tame things very nicely -- some nice bluesy color and sustain.

I also like the soft distortion you get by putting diodes in a feedback loop -- just connect some diodes between output and input. Add diodes in the feedback loop of an op-amp gain stage with a small cap to tame the highs, add some fairly aggressive filtering to get a nasty midrange hump and you've pretty much got a tube screamer. Ick... but fear not, we can do much better! If you use two different diodes, you'll get asymmetrical clipping, which has even-order harmonics and a different tone. Play with the filters; add or cut more bass or more treble. After all, who says you have to have a honking, squeaky, greasy, squawking tone? Google "Cook Your Own Distortion" for more variants.
I know that mojo in electronics comes from design, but JFETs make me wonder...

rockhorst

Quote from: jafo
unlike  on the Tube Screamer which "format" the sound irremediably.

I found that bufferless screamers are a lot more open sounding, what some might call transparent. Definitely take the time to rweak it though...
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

AudioEcstasy

removing the buffers in your bad monkey will really open it up. Try the easy drive. it sounds great!