Question about etching PCB using laser printer

Started by Fender56, November 01, 2007, 03:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fender56

Warning, dumb questions ahead!  ;D

I'm planning to create my own PCB soon using the paper/press'n'peel method. However, I don't have a laser printer at home, but I have access to one at my job.

Does the time between the printout and the transfer (with the hot iron) matters? What if I print the layout in the morning and transfer it in the evening, or even the next day? Am I increasing my chance of failure?  ;)

And does the time between the transfer and the etching matters? Can I wait a couple of days before I etch my transfered board?

I just can't do everything at the same time and at the same place....

Thanks!

$uperpuma

I've gone a long as a couple months before transferring a printout... no problem.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Mark Hammer

I have a big envelope of patterns I've printed out, often in duplicate or triplicate.  When I need a pattern to make a board, I reach into the envelope and pull one out.  Time since printed only matters in one way, and that is whether the specific piece of paper of PnP might have been bent in some way that caused the toner to fracture off a bit.

What matters far more is the length of time between you've ironed the pattern onto a piece of copper board and when you etch it.  Depending on handling and local climatic conditions and ambient chemicals, the board may tarnish and impede etching.  If the board is tarnished before ironing, the tarnish may impede pattern transfer.

The best strategy is to buff the board to a good smooth shine just before ironing the pattern, and stick the board into the etchant as soon after ironing as you can arrange for (though I've placed ironed boards into envelopes to leave for etching a day or two later with success), making sure to keep your grubby little hands off the surface in the interim.  As long as the patterns themselves are kept flat and away from heat or water, you can safely use them months and probably years later.