noisy cricket tone problem

Started by Valoosj, November 02, 2007, 07:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

I built the noisy cricket, but my tone knob does nothing. Could somebody help me out?

This last one is a video, just click on it
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

anchovie

Have you tried replacing the pot?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

slacker

How have you attached lug 1 of the tone pot to the circuit?
It doesn't look like you've got the jumper going from e1 to d1, without that the tone pot isn't connected to the circuit. If you haven't got room for the jumper and the wires on the board just connect lug 1 of the tone pot directly to lug 2 of the volume pot.

Valoosj

I soldered those wires together when they came through the board. I'll check if they really make contact, by checking the resistance, but they should make good contact, since the solder covers both wires at once.

The Tone changes a bit in the first 30° when I turn it, but after that it does nothing
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

captntasty

Weird, I was just working on my Noisy Cricket/Ruby trying to isolate an annoying and unwanted distortion... but that's another story.
I have the tone pot in mine and in fact it does very little for most of the pots' rotation then at the end some of the upper frequencies are attenuated.  I'm not surprised it does this because it's really just a low pass filter or treble bleed or high frequency rolloff or... you get the picture.  I have the same type of tone control on my diy Fender Champ clone and it behaves the same way - doesn't do much until it's dialed back to 1 o'clockthen it lops off the highs.  I've always considered changing this configuration to a switch in the amp and now the Cricket - make it a bright switch or something.  So, anyhow, I think it's working correctly - perhaps tweaking the value of the pot or the cap off to ground will make it behave a little better.  Of course it is possible to hack a complete tonestack into the circuit!

ps nice artwork on the enclosure
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Valoosj

Thanks. I don't care to much to add a complete tonestack. Getting a good speaker is more important. This is just my amp to use at home from now on.

Valoosj

I checked the circuit, replaced the 0,1 uF cap, and still it barely does a thing. when I turn it down to zero it even makes my volume drop  :o

demonstar

I built the noisy cricket and mine does exactly the same. I found it doesn't do much if anything. Just roles of the treble a bit when turning the pot anticlockwise between 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock. I was slightly dissapointed with this considering I'd chased that extra silver knob for the the amp all over the local area to find another. If I was to recommend the build, I'd say leave it out or change it to a different one.

When I realised mine didn't work (the position your in now) I decided not to risk spoiling my small amp head I'd made by trying to alter a small thing.

Just another thing I found it doesn't get very dirty unless I put a dist unit before it. Do you find the same?

I love my little noisy cricket I made (Or greenfly as I call it. If you look in my gallery you'll soon see why. ;) ). I run it into my marshall cab and i use it for testing pedals and old shcool crunch tones where volumes just gotta be full which I can't do with a 100 watter for social reasons.  :icon_cool:

Anyway I hope this helps put your mind to rest thats you have most likely done everything correct and that it's a problem in the design. Well thats my opinion.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. HAVE FUN!!!

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Valoosj

maybe I should add the wonderfully stupid tonestack or something like that, and remove this one

Thanks for the reassurance

nico13

Did you try to use an audio taper one ? Also a 25K may be OK.