DIY Overdrive Suggestions?

Started by Arn C., November 01, 2007, 10:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Howdy All

I want to build an overdrive that can smooth out (cleaner) and go to full out od with some feedback.  I will be using a gibson with humbuckers.   Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Arn C.

foxfire

there was a nice little thread about the colorsound overdrive not too long ago. here it is,  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61763.0. i haven't gotten to build it yet but, it definitely caught my attention.

Marcos - Munky

They aren't high gain ODs, but I use the MXR Wylde OD and the Golden Dragon OD. They both clean pretty well with the volume and have some gain to play rhythm and some leads. Also, I use the BSIAB2, which I think will fit in your needs too.

DougH

Build a Gainster. It is very cool.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Idiot

depending on what amp you are using ie:tube or solid state is a huge part of making an OD.the easiest & cleanest I can think of is ROG's Grace/Big daddy.The grace overdrives tubes & the BD works well at bedroom levels.For straight SS amps, nothing sounds better than two tube screamers in series.This is a simulated tube sound w/great harmonic response.the problem w/this set upis that on tube amps the impedence is so large that it muddies up the sound.The grace by itself(w/out the BD switch) will give any amp that 1978 Joe Walsh sound.

soulsonic

I like things based on multiple MiniBoosters like the Booster 2.5 and the Sweet Thing.
I built one based on that concept a few months back and it sounded great! Thick and tube-y!
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Arn C.

Thank you all for your suggestions!   Much appreciated!
I will probably breadboard most of these and give them all a shot.
One can never have too many pedals :icon_biggrin:

Thanks again and Peace!
Arn C.

MartyMart

Arn, take a look at my "Mr Drive" in my gallery, a very pleasing and simple OD with a good gain range :D
MM>
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Arn C.

Thanks Marty, I will....

Peace!
Arn C.

george

nothing cleans up from the guitar volume like a fuzz face ...

The shaka tube cleans up quite well too.

Just my $AUD0.02 ....

frokost

Breadboarding is a good idea to find what suits you best. Every OD in existence will eventually be recommended if this thread goes on long enough  ;). It all depends on what sound you like, your gear, your playing style, everything. So try out a few, and try them out in the setting your going to use them. The overdrives I've tried sound very differerent at bedroom level compared to rehearsal level. Don't trust your ears at home if you're planning to gig with it.

I'll throw in my two recommendations: Marshall Blues Breaker and the Red Llama. I've settled with these now after a period where I almost haven't used the same overdrive from gig to gig. Quite frustrating - overdrive is so simple and yet so complicated.

cheeb

I gotta second what Idiot (I just don't feel right using that handle) said about the amp. The amp choice is crucial when choosing an overdrive.

With that said, Mr. Drive, Beavis Audio Trostkydrive, and almost all of the Runoffgroove projects.

--Cory