How can I get rid of distortion in wah circuit?

Started by josahasa, May 04, 2010, 05:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josahasa

Hi!

I've built a McCoy wah-clone from the schematic at fuzz-central. It also incorporates the suggested output buffer. Everything is working, but I can't get the sound not to distort at heel-down position. With bc109b's and bc109c's there is somewhat more bass than with "modern"-type high-gain 5884 etc. transistors, but no matter what transistor I try it with, I can't get it clean in the lower register. I've matched the gains on all of the applicable transistors. It seems as if the lower mids are getting boosted quite a bit, and therefore causing distortion.

Is this typical, and is there a way for getting rid of the unwanted distortion?

Thanks!

-Jonah

earthtonesaudio

I don't know if it's typical, but a frequency-dependent gain problem seems to beg for a frequency-dependent attenuation solution.

I would start with decreasing the value of the input cap.

Quackzed

do you know if the distortion is coming from the output buffer or the pedal itself? i'd tap an output from before the buffer and see if its still distorted. 
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

R.G.

Quote from: Quackzed on May 04, 2010, 09:08:45 AM
do you know if the distortion is coming from the output buffer or the pedal itself? i'd tap an output from before the buffer and see if its still distorted. 
Ding! A correct answer! Divide and conquer.

And another one snatches the pebble!  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

josahasa

Unfortunately it is coming from the pedal itself...

Quackzed

check out r.g.'s excellect 'technology of wah pedals' article for a close look at what does what in a wah...
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm
i'd start at the transistor gains and bias first, see if you can't dial out the distortion by adjusting the collector resistors.

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Paul Marossy

Quote from: josahasa on May 04, 2010, 10:17:18 AM
Unfortunately it is coming from the pedal itself...

That can happen in a wah circuit. I think I have at least a couple of wah pedals that have a little distortion being created by the circuit itself. It's not enough to be unacceptable, though.

Quote from: Quackzed on May 04, 2010, 02:33:28 PM
i'd start at the transistor gains and bias first, see if you can't dial out the distortion by adjusting the collector resistors.

Yeah, that is probably exactly what I would do, too.

jacobyjd

I was under the impression that distortion at the peak of resonance was exactly what is desired in a wah (for the most part). I generally find that if there's no distortion present whatsoever, it sounds bland.

Not to question what your preferences are, but are you SURE you want it to be completely distortion-free?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

josahasa

No no, not distortion-free. It's just that usually in a funky comp one likes to hit the chord at the bass end of the wah and open it up in mid chord for the actual "wah". This phenomenon is somewhat interrupted and disturbed by muddy and loud, peaky distortion at the the heel down position. Actually there's no real (audible) distortion at the treble end, where it actually could be kind of nice. (Think "Shaft")   

Are there any basic guidelines for optimal transistor gain for bc109b ? How about the bias?

Thanks again!

-Jonah

joegagan

jacobyd, i agree, some distortion at low-mid peak is what makes a wah cool in my opinion. i have a theory that commercial companies try to engineer this feature out of their wahs so that people don't complain.( factor in the difference between  HBs and single coils, it gets even harder to please the public.)

i call it a 'pop',  that gives it the 'wow'

even with clean tones, this 'pop' in mid sweep adds a lot of character, as in the cool wah part in everlast's 'what it's like'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWhdz5svvQ

similar to a wah i modded for a similar pop  - (my elec. guit. track on a new age music project that the artist never finished)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=669714&songID=

even the snarling dogs mold spore has a pronounced pop (0:32 thru 1:15 or so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMo-ynOFh4

for a smooth, 'popless' wah, try a shin ei, or other transformer based wah.

the internet rumors say that shaft guitar part was played with a maestro boomerang. i never tried one. do they pop?

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

oh , jonah, i get what you're saying, you have a pop too far at the bass end. not sure how to alter where the pop happens.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.