News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

shocktave ??

Started by 1878, November 21, 2007, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

I'm hoping to build an 'octave down' unit, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or pointers as to which one ?? I've heard the Shocktave samples (and was quite impressed) but I'm open to suggestions. Any layouts, parts lists or samples etc will be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I've recently completed my first build (UglyFace with 3PDT, status LED and 9v 2.1mm dc jack) and I was amazed at how easy it is to go wrong !! As a first timer, I didn't have the experience to realise that I'd built the UglyFace correctly first time, but the Vactrol's I bought weren't up to the job. After making and fitting my own Vactrol, the sense of achievement at that first note was unbelievable !!

I couldn't have done it without people from this forum, so, I thought I'd ask for your invaluable advice once again.

Thanks in advance. Matty.

oldrocker

The Shocktave is the one I built.  I use it all the time for a fuzzed out octave down.  Believe it or not the Crash Sync by John Hollis can achieve an octave down but not as pronounced as the Shocktave.  The Crash Sync reminds me alot of the Ugly Face though.

ambulancevoice

yeah
where are the samples of this thing, i really wanna hear it!
also, only thing ive ever seen of the shocktave is the schematic
here http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/shocktave.html
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

oldrocker

There is a sample of it on my old website.  It doesnt do it justice though.  I have some new samples being made soon.
http://randallbarnett.homestead.com/SoundSamples.html

ambulancevoice

how come like, 60% of the samples on those pages (distortion one to) dont work???
also, shocktave isnt bad! not as pronouced and dirty as i thought it would be, but good!

Cardboard Tube Samurai

None of them work if you don't have Windows Media Player installed

ambulancevoice

the ones on the first page worked

Does anyone know of a perfboard layout for the Shocktave ??

smnm

Slacker came up something he called the Slacktave - I remenber seeing a vero layout , but not sure if it's in this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=55644.0

oldrocker

Yes you need Media Player to play them.  On the first page they all shouild work but the Hysteresis and RNG.  On the distortion page they're not there yet.  I have all new samples being made now that are a much better quality and better guitar playing and they're MP3's and Windows Media both.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: oldrocker on November 22, 2007, 10:00:34 AM
Yes you need Media Player to play them.  On the first page they all shouild work but the Hysteresis and RNG.  On the distortion page they're not there yet.  I have all new samples being made now that are a much better quality and better guitar playing and they're MP3's and Windows Media both.

yeah that explains it

Shocktave or Slacktave ?? Ooooh... dilemma !!

Has anyone built both ??

oldrocker

Well the Slacktave is more synthy than the Shocktave I believe.  If you're looking for more of an octave down then I would build the Shocktave.  It has easier to find parts and is a fairly simple build.  I haven't built the Slacktave yet so I can't make more of a comparison.

Mark Hammer

One of the nice things about the Shocktave, as a project for beginners, is that it is an all-discrete circuit.  That means the novice can completely rule out static damage to a CMOS flip-flop chip as a source of nonfunctionality, and concentrate on whatever else may have gone wrong during the building.  That may sound glib, but for a great many people being able to say "I know it's not this" can be a real convenience and time saver.