Please need help with this idea, dim LEDs and volume with a stereo pot

Started by arma61, November 28, 2007, 05:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arma61

Hi

I've built this Buff 'n blend http://www.geocities.com/jrtookmyfalseteeth/buffblnd.gif

what I would like to do, if possible, is using a stereo pot, to let 2 LEDs dim or increase while you turn the pot, I've succeeded with one LED, but when I connect the other LED I don't get what I want I've connected in this way

+ -------/\/\/\---- LED ------- 3 !
- -------------------------------2 !pot's leg
                                         1 !
and the LED dims, but if I connect another LED in the same way to legs 2 and one, either both LEDs are on or off or dim together. I don't seem to be able to understand this why, and IF this can be done.

Do could you plse help me out with this, I would like to use a transparent plastic case with the two LEDs mounted on the 2 side of a plastic hose inside the box, so the result should be a "tube of light" (big word!!!), that dim and grow on each side turning the pot.

Thanks guys.
Ciao
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

big bustle

i'm guessing the LEDs are in series and not parallel? try wiring in parallel.

Are the the same color? different LED colors need different voltages

Sock Puppet

Would connecting the second LED with its own resistor between pin 1 of the pot and positive be what you're looking for?

S.

arma61

Hi, just reading what I wrote and find it's not really clear, what I want is

this box is blending the clear signal with the FXed signal, so what I want is that turning the pot, one LED's light dim while the other grow, and the other way round, that's why I also want to use two different colours of LEDs.

I think it's more clear now.

thx for help
Ciao
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Ozymandias

And you are using a stereo pot ? Than my guess is you would have to wire up the upper three lugs as you've written down, and the lower three mirrored from what you have (ie lugs 1&2), but sure, I am not :).

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

arma61

thx everybody, yes ambulancevoice that's what I mean, I've tried yesterday but directly with iron and components without drawing any schematic!, so I'm almost sure something was wrong! though being the pot 100K I think it would be hard to have bright led completely on or off, I've the feeling that a more complex circiut is needed to achieve something like that.

Ciao
Armando