Has everybody given up on the FV-1?

Started by MR COFFEE, July 31, 2007, 12:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR COFFEE

Seems the thread has kinda fizzled out, and I wondered if that meant people hadn't found these chips as promising as they initially seemed.

Anybody buy a development board and pitched it in their junk pile?

mr coffee
Bart

Geoff Hunter

Spinsemi website is down atm.  Been down a few days..

That chip has been on my "to look at" list for a while, just never got round to it.  Hope its nothing serious.

octfrank

Site's going through a redesign, should be up now.

Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

SeanCostello

I haven't given up on it. As far as stompbox digital effects go, it seems like the best solution by far for small-scale production (i.e. if you aren't the size of Line 6). I haven't been able to play with it in the past several months, as work has been really busy - and since work is designing digital audio effects, I don't have much mental energy to dedicate to DIY stuff in my spare time.

The FV-1 is certainly not an "all-in-one" chip. Amp modeling, for instance, would be difficult. However, the size and cost should allow it to be used alongside analog components that can do some of the heavy lifting. Bandlimited distortion, for example: difficult in digital (more expensive function needed for smooth transition to soft clipping, oversampling usually required), really easy in analog (op amp + 2 diodes).

The redesigned site looks good. I wonder what the DV-1 is...

Sean Costello

MetalGuy

I'm not very much into digital but I'm wondering since Flanger+Reverb or Corus+Reverb is possible in a single chip then is it possible to expect in the near future a chip that will have for example Chorus, Flanger, Delay and Reverb which can be used chained together and used simultaneously with independently adjustable parameters? Something like a simplified guitar processor less the Overdrive/Distortion module?

octfrank

While possible to make a single chip to do all in parallel (chorus/reverb/flange/delay), one of the big problems is the memory (ignoring many other factors). All those programs require quite a bit of delay memory to sound nice, so that means more memory on the chip but that means a bigger die which will lead to lower yield and as a result a higher price.  Things like DRAM chips used in computers are done using a special, dedicated memory process that allows for very high bit density, things like an FV-1 which contain standard logic and memory cannot take advantage of those special processes.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

MetalGuy

I don't mind adding couple of more chips at all as long as it does what I described.

puretube

the first ones hit NAMM in Austin recently, if I`m not mistaken...  :icon_wink: ( :icon_question:)

octfrank

Quote from: puretube on August 08, 2007, 12:39:28 PM
the first ones hit NAMM in Austin recently, if I`m not mistaken...  :icon_wink: ( :icon_question:)

If you mean the first products to show & ship with FV-1s... that happened at winter NAMM back in January. FV-1s have been shipping since September '06.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

puretube

Ooops: hadn`t noticed that in winter-namm,
but that fact even more underlines the virtues of this great chip.

Even without the use of the development board,
the chip can very successfully be used as a powerful building block
like Keith Barr rightfully states in his application notes!
(I loaned out my dev-board for better use to a more experienced programmer in fall last year
right away, and concentrated on unusual "hardware only"-implementations this spring).

Highly recommended!
:icon_wink:

octfrank

Quote from: puretube on August 09, 2007, 06:01:14 AM
Ooops: hadn`t noticed that in winter-namm

Yeah, the companies showing at winter NAMM asked us not to say who they were and they kept their products closed so people couldn't see the circuit board.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

SeanCostello

Holy Stain? This is my guess, as it is at a different price point than the Stereo Memory Man, and the other DSP pedals released around this time (my guess is that the higher end pedals are based around the DSP56364 platform that David %^&*erell worked on).

I have DSPs on the brain today.

Sean Costello

MetalGuy

I haven't given up either. A programmable FX module is coming up soon.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: SeanCostello on April 10, 2008, 02:31:34 PM

Holy Stain? This is my guess, as it is at a different price point than the Stereo Memory Man, and the other DSP pedals released around this time (my guess is that the higher end pedals are based around the DSP56364 platform that David %^&*erell worked on).

I have DSPs on the brain today.

Sean Costello
I naively thought the Holy Stain was based on the same Cirrus chip as the Holy Grail, because of the name and inclusion of reverb.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com