total sonic annihilation

Started by 1878, December 04, 2007, 06:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Rodgre on December 05, 2007, 12:02:03 PM
Layout seems fine to me too.

Saying that a Total Sonic Annihilation should cost $20 instead of $150 is pretty unfair. We sometimes forget that just because most everyone here knows how to solder and can understand a schematic, we are in the minority. Most musicians can't and won't bother repairing their own broken guitar cables, let alone build a pedal. If someone devises an interesting and unique pedal, and builds it into a sellable pedal that people want to buy, it is worth a hell of a lot more than what the parts themselves cost.

That's sort of like saying that a Strat is only worth $50 because wood grows on trees.

Roger

i was saying that 150 for something that is so incredibly simple, no circuit board or anything required, just some jacks, a pot and a switch, priced at 150 is ridiculous
"If someone devises an interesting and unique pedal..." but its not an interesting and unique pedal, just makes your pedals osciallate and make random noises, nothing ground breaking. Some people might find them interesting the first time they use it, but there not gonna call it the greatest thing they have on there rig
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Krinor

Agree on the price thing. $150 for this one is a bit high. But if the paintjob is cool or it's got an array of pink, blue and, while we're at it, maybe even black LED's then why not ?  :icon_biggrin:
IMO the feedback feature is just a bonus to this thing really. It's first and foremost an effects loop, and that can be very usefull on stage when you want to throw some additional sounds in and out of the general mayhem.

I seem to have started a bit of a debate here !!

I am a TOTAL beginner with a lot of this stuff so I do need things explaining thouroughly. But, the more you do, the more you learn... hopefully  ;)

Thanks again !!

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Krinor on December 05, 2007, 06:26:37 PM
Agree on the price thing. $150 for this one is a bit high. But if the paintjob is cool or it's got an array of pink, blue and, while we're at it, maybe even black LED's then why not ?  :icon_biggrin:
IMO the feedback feature is just a bonus to this thing really. It's first and foremost an effects loop, and that can be very usefull on stage when you want to throw some additional sounds in and out of the general mayhem.

they dont have paint jobs, just a label, at least i think they do
and yes, they can be usefull, but they dont really produce amazingly wild and dramatic zvooks (unless you stuff a shitload of distortions and modulation effects in there), there more like a little trinket to have a filly around with and make some weird noises
Colins Buffered Death Loop would be a real horrorshow feedback loop IMO, it uses LPB boost at the input (before the send) and in bettween the feedback loop itself (bettween the send and return jacks), the 2 LPB's act not only as boosts (cause some effects dont even produce enough output power to even drive the feedback loop) but they also act as buffers for the signal (hence the name)

Krinor

Cool idea.  :icon_cool:
Another way to go about something like that would be to put in some more jacks in between - so that you could easily swap different boosters or buffers etc in there. Sort of like an extra effects loop within the feedback loop...or ??

ambulancevoice

a loop with in a loop

like this????

2 return------|                                   |------send 2                                 
                    |                                   |
1 return------|-------buffer/boost-------|------send 1

djwackfriz

Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 05, 2007, 06:53:11 PM
Colins Buffered Death Loop would be a real horrorshow feedback loop IMO, it uses LPB boost at the input (before the send) and in bettween the feedback loop itself (bettween the send and return jacks), the 2 LPB's act not only as boosts (cause some effects dont even produce enough output power to even drive the feedback loop) but they also act as buffers for the signal (hence the name)

Totally on board with this...

ambulancevoice

Quote from: djwackfriz on December 05, 2007, 11:00:29 PM

Totally on board with this...

yeah, i know what you mean  :icon_biggrin:

dano12

Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 05, 2007, 06:03:10 PM
yes! thank you, some one understands! (no offence!)
i was trying not to confuse 1878 but having him wire the ground to the tip, and the signal to the sleeve
because the layout is MARKED/POSITIONED wrong, the connections are correct
where the tip thingy is located on the diagram is where the sleeve should be, visa versa
which i what its like on a real jack, and if 1878 got his jacks are from the layout saw that the tip lug was sleeve, he would have ended up wiring it wrong
just looking out for the beginners!

Got it, thanks for explaining.

Will correct...

Krinor

Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 05, 2007, 07:52:42 PM
a loop with in a loop

like this????

If we take Dano's illustration of the Feedback Looper as an example I was thinking more in terms of putting another effects loop between the feedback loop pot and the tip of the effect send jack. Thus you could swap different effects (boosters and whatnot) in there. Or maybe it should be placed between the spdt switch and the pot  ??? As I am still a schoolboy in terms of effects building I don't really "see" how to wire this, and I'm too lazy to experiment right now. :icon_redface: Maybe you can come up with something Alex ?

MikeH

A boost (or at least a buffer) is a very good idea in a feedback looper.  Not only can it help mitigate signal loss, but it can also provide more textures.  I wired mine up with a juggler so I can put the boost before the loop to hit it harder, or after to boost the output.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Krinor on December 06, 2007, 11:25:07 AM
Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 05, 2007, 07:52:42 PM
a loop with in a loop

like this????

If we take Dano's illustration of the Feedback Looper as an example I was thinking more in terms of putting another effects loop between the feedback loop pot and the tip of the effect send jack. Thus you could swap different effects (boosters and whatnot) in there. Or maybe it should be placed between the spdt switch and the pot  ??? As I am still a schoolboy in terms of effects building I don't really "see" how to wire this, and I'm too lazy to experiment right now. :icon_redface: Maybe you can come up with something Alex ?

i like that idea
it could provide all new nuances and stuff like that
hmm
like this maybe

Krinor

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess this is a pretty flexible solution ? Anyway, I feel my lazyness is giving way to renewed enthusiasm now, so I will put in some more jacks in my feedback looper tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for spending time to make that drawing Alex.  :icon_cool:

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Krinor on December 06, 2007, 07:26:39 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. I guess this is a pretty flexible solution ? Anyway, I feel my lazyness is giving way to renewed enthusiasm now, so I will put in some more jacks in my feedback looper tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for spending time to make that drawing Alex.  :icon_cool:

haha time, took me about 5 minootas! max!
hahahahha
still,  i think its a really good idea

Krinor

Yes, but the stuff I call my brain isn't always engaged.  And 5 minutes can in theory be a long time depending on how you spend them :icon_lol:

I'll put in those jacks this afternoon and post my findings here afterwards if they are worth mentioning.

ambulancevoice

yeah, post your findings!!!
or like maybe, another topic is needed, cause we are going off this one