News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

RS232 Woes

Started by trendyironicname, December 06, 2007, 10:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trendyironicname

I really need to communicate with a pic and I don't have ready access to a max232 chip.  I have an old 1488 and 1489 that I'm trying my best to work with.  Anyone have any experience with em?  Electronics are hard to come by right now so it'll be great if I can wind up using them.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Papa_lazerous

Sorry mate cant help you but I had to post about your signature.

Laughed my ass off there!  :D

trendyironicname

Wish I came up with it.  My friend's mom sent me an email asking me to explain it one day. An aim conversation and two back and forth emails and still no luck.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rob Strand

They should be dead simple to get going.  Get the data sheets.

The receiver 1489 is run from 5V.  You just connect the chip output to the pic input and the chip input to the RS232 RX.

The transmitter 1488 is run from a dual supply +/-12.  You just connect the pic output to the chip input and the chp output to the RS232 TX.

If you need handshaking then you need use the same connections for the handshake inputs and outputs respectively.

The MAX232 effectively removed the need for the +/- supplies.

(There must be some examples on the web)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Andre

In case you do have some transistors, resistors and diodes lying around, you could try this:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardSerialSingleSided

André

trendyironicname

thank you guys.  did the early christmas thing so I was out for a little bit.  I'll give it another good stand.