Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gluedtogether

Ahh. okay. slowly learning. the direction I was looking at took it from clean boost to tube distortion. sorry for taking the thread off in a different direction. Always in the process of learning. thanks for explanations on all of this.

Zben3129

Hmmmm

Just got an 12ax7 in today for a tube driver or maybe an amp, and decided to try this out just because i couldn't look at the tube any longer without doing SOMETHING with it. I was expecting horrible sounds to come out of this. Unfortunately, no sounds :(   I get absolutely no noise, and the tube doesn't light up at all, and I know I have heard people talk of the tubes lighting up. Any thoughts? Are there any things that I may have done wrong as a first timer with tubes? (Such as the first time on an opamp when you dont connect 8 to v+ because it is ohmitted( ;D) from the schematic)

Thanks!

tranceracer

This thread was talking about lighting a 12AX7 tube...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63582.msg501595#msg501595

According to the thread you need to power the heaters it up to 12V.

-tR

niopren

THANKS!!

i build this in a few minutes today and sound great... 8)    more than expected for runnig at only 9 volts. :o

Aren

niopren

i record this from my cell phone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcORgmfPl4

the noise is my old amp not the pedal

ATENTION
The Tone Control works in wrong way,  change the wiring on the layout.!!!

SidSeizure

I've lurked here on and off for about a year and a half and I guess it's about time I asked a (possibly) stupid question.

Dano's (and Matsumin's) schematic reminds me a little of a Fuzz Face. So what I'd like to know is, would it be possible to make a sort of Fuzz Face using this tube instead of a pair of transistors? I searched the archives a little and found a couple of brief mentions of people wanting to use a tube (or two) in a Fuzz Face, but there weren't any details. (And sorry if this is a derail in Dano's thread.)

dano12

Quote from: SidSeizure on December 18, 2007, 11:37:34 AM
I've lurked here on and off for about a year and a half and I guess it's about time I asked a (possibly) stupid question.

Dano's (and Matsumin's) schematic reminds me a little of a Fuzz Face. So what I'd like to know is, would it be possible to make a sort of Fuzz Face using this tube instead of a pair of transistors? I searched the archives a little and found a couple of brief mentions of people wanting to use a tube (or two) in a Fuzz Face, but there weren't any details. (And sorry if this is a derail in Dano's thread.)

There are possibly a couple of things you could do to make this distort more, along the lines of a fuzz. The first would be to add a pair of diode clippers at the end, before the tone control. Don't know if that would work with a tube, but it would be easy to try.

Another possible thing is to make two of them. Duplicate each tube stage where one feeds into another, that's four gain stages.

I wish there were 36 hours in a day, so many things to tinker with, so little time :)

Papa_lazerous

if you want more distortion then really its time to leave this circuit behind....Its not really meant for that its just a boost.  Try the matchless hotbox thats a great build and not too hard I made one Banika who has made the layout software for us has a build report on his site.  Worth a look

suprleed

So many projects, so little time...

This looks very interesting.  I always wondered if there was a tube design that would run on only 9v.  Looks like this might be my first foray into the world of tubes (after I complete  3 other projects)!!!  :)
"That's the way I play" ~EC

Jered

Finally had time to try this circuit out today. Decent sound, not to bad. After checking out some tube data, the mini 6111 looked like a good candidate. Its a medium mu twin triode tube. Different pinout, so after changing a few things on the breadboard, popped the tube in the socket and fired it up.
  Wow, this sounds really good without having to tweak anything. As Dano stated, it chews through batteries quickly. I then hooked it up to an adjustable power supply to try higher and lower voltages. Using a 6111 tube run at 7 VDC, I would go as far as to say, this thing sounds great! A fat tone, decent sustain, and a nice, gritty, break up when the gain is cranked. A super simple, great sounding, one tube project.
  Thanks for posting this Dano.
  Jered

Aren

Any samples?
Thanks for the info. I  was going to order some tubes and wondered which ones would be best.

dano12

Quote from: Jered on December 26, 2007, 12:40:07 AM
  Finally had time to try this circuit out today. Decent sound, not to bad. After checking out some tube data, the mini 6111 looked like a good candidate. Its a medium mu twin triode tube. Different pinout, so after changing a few things on the breadboard, popped the tube in the socket and fired it up.
  Wow, this sounds really good without having to tweak anything. As Dano stated, it chews through batteries quickly. I then hooked it up to an adjustable power supply to try higher and lower voltages. Using a 6111 tube run at 7 VDC, I would go as far as to say, this thing sounds great! A fat tone, decent sustain, and a nice, gritty, break up when the gain is cranked. A super simple, great sounding, one tube project.
  Thanks for posting this Dano.
  Jered

For the 6111, did you have have to change anything other than the pinout? I'd like to try this....

Jered

No, I didn't change anything except the pinout and voltage. I thought it sounded best at 7 volts, but the difference between 7 and 9 volts was marginal. I didn't have time to really mess around with components so you might be able to bring out the best with some tweaks. It sounded great as is, two of these together might give you a gain monster of a circuit.
  Please let me know if you find improvements for this, I still have it on the breadboard and plan on trying a few things when I have time.
  Thanks, Jered

Jered

Dano, I forgot to add, I tried 6112 and 6021 tubes and the sounded horrible. That's all.
  Jered

bancika

give those 6021 to me if they are horrible ;)
just kidding, I'm looking to get them for a while
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Papa_lazerous

bancika

he said they are horrible, so you too should give me yours :)

Papa_lazerous

Why would I go and do that Bane? I will breadboard it for soemthing to do and tweak it a little for kicks, I have 8 MOS 6021A's dated 6-1958 Muhaha they are for my nano clone ;)

bancika