Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtlives

Did you use the "full" layout I posted?

How does it sound? Sound-clips?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Krinor

No I put a simple on/off switch in it. I wanted to hear it before installing a true bypass switch.
It sounds very good. Being absolutely subjective and esoteric I can tell you that it adds warmth, character and a vintage vibe to your tone. This tells you nothing of course, but you probably get the picture anyhow. Build it yourself. You won't be dissapointed. With some frequenzy tweaking I hope to get some of the rather abundant bass content to behave a bit.

dano12

Quote from: Krinor on January 10, 2008, 07:28:00 PM
Here's mine:

I built it in one of those gorgeous boxes from Pedalenclosures.
This is the point-to-point version. Did anyone else build from that layout ? Well now it's verified by me at least.
What a great little circuit. Thanks for posting this Dano!
I can see many applications for this one. It would probably be a nice building block for more complicated projects.
It is a bit "dark" sounding, meaning it has a lot of bass content (at least with my SG). How could this be fixed ?

Wow, that is marvelous! What a nice look.

For lowering bass, you could try lowering the value of either the input cap, or the coupling cap between the two tube stages.

Again, really nice job!

niopren

hi.. i worked more...

this is my version... dual overdrive
  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

evolution!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtpB10U8FM (whit my cell phone)

kurtlives

Is that just two of the original ones together? Or is it something new?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Timebutt

Quote from: Krinor on January 10, 2008, 07:28:00 PM
Here's mine:

I built it in one of those gorgeous boxes from Pedalenclosures.
This is the point-to-point version. Did anyone else build from that layout ? Well now it's verified by me at least.
What a great little circuit. Thanks for posting this Dano!
I can see many applications for this one. It would probably be a nice building block for more complicated projects.
It is a bit "dark" sounding, meaning it has a lot of bass content (at least with my SG). How could this be fixed ?

Now all we need is a picture with that gorgeous tube lit in the dark!
What tube did you use and just how much does it light up? :)
Lot of bass content, seems usable for bass maybe?

All in all, very nice build, congrats ;)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

andrew_k

Wow, both of those pedals look awesome, great work!

What did you use to cut a hole large enough for the tube in the enclosure?

Krinor

Quote from: Timebutt on January 11, 2008, 01:23:46 AM
Now all we need is a picture with that gorgeous tube lit in the dark!
What tube did you use and just how much does it light up? :)
Lot of bass content, seems usable for bass maybe?

All in all, very nice build, congrats ;)

Thank you. I used a 12AU7.
12xx7's don't really light up much no matter what circuit they're in. But if you like to play in the dark, then you will be able to see a tiny little glow in there. But seriously, it's the sound of these things that matter. My best 6L6's (NOS RCA's) has black glass housings. Can't see anything in there no, but the sound! Simply amazing.
I haven't tried it with a bass yet. Will do. good idea.  :icon_wink:

Quote from: andrew_k on January 11, 2008, 03:28:06 AM
Wow, both of those pedals look awesome, great work!

What did you use to cut a hole large enough for the tube in the enclosure?

I used a reamer to cut the hole. Reamers are excellent if you have a steady hand. You just bore a little pilot hole and then off you go. Just be sure to stop and check from time to time so that you don't go to far.

Nice build Niopren. Care to share your layout with us ?

Edit: I've done some tests running the circuit at 12V.
Disclaimer: These are my subjective opinions!  :icon_wink:

12AU7: Brand, Tube Amp Doctor. Nice muddy overdrive and sparkling clean tones. Lots of bass content. Has some nice compression.

12AT7: Brand, Tube Amp Doctor. Very nice overdrive. More distorted. A bit more sparkle on clean tones. Less bass content.A little bit more "open" sound with some more midrange. This particular tube sound better than the AU7 in terms of the quality of the overdrive. Where the AU7 sounds like a perfect tube for a blues horn this particular AT7 seems like a better choice for guitar.

12AX7: Brand, Electro Harmonix. Low output. Less gain than the AT7. This tube has been used for about a year. Probably time to discard it.

Conclusion: For that warm and cozy fireside jam, I'd go for the 12AU7. This one drips of honey and makes me want to grab a beer and play harmonica! For everything else I'd use a 12AT7. But that's just me.  :icon_lol:

niopren

Quote from: kurtlives on January 10, 2008, 10:33:50 PM

only two of the original ones together...
one for boost (distortion)

Krinor

Quote from: niopren on January 11, 2008, 08:03:07 AM
Quote from: kurtlives on January 10, 2008, 10:33:50 PM

only two of the original ones together...
one for boost (distortion)

Do you have some AT7's around ?
Maybe you could run a test with that double version of yours?
I'd be happy to hear your opinions on the following setups: a) 2 AT7's, b) One AU7 and one AT7 and c) vice versa.

bancika

Quote from: Krinor on January 11, 2008, 06:44:28 AM
12AX7: Brand, Electro Harmonix. Low output. Less gain than the AT7. This tube has been used for about a year. Probably time to discard it.

preamp tubes usually live much longer than one year...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

niopren

Quote from: Krinor on January 11, 2008, 08:20:00 AM
Do you have some AT7's around ?
Maybe you could run a test with that double version of yours?
I'd be happy to hear your opinions on the following setups: a) 2 AT7's, b) One AU7 and one AT7 and c) vice versa.

i test the 12at7 in my pedal, and sound take more distortion, but dont like the saturation.
i use 2 12au7, better works in my case

Krinor

Quote from: bancika on January 11, 2008, 08:50:24 AM
Quote from: Krinor on January 11, 2008, 06:44:28 AM

preamp tubes usually live much longer than one year...
My mistake. I have played it for one year. But it was not new when I got it. I have another one in my champ. I'll try that one this evening.

RLBJR65

If you want longer battery life use 2 - 9 v in parallel.
More head room with 18v ? Try 2 - 9V in series using a center tap for the heater.

Richard Boop

bancika

Quote from: RLBJR65 on January 11, 2008, 11:10:29 AM
If you want longer battery life use 2 - 9 v in parallel.
More head room with 18v ? Try 2 - 9V in series using a center tap for the heater.

but make sure you run heaters with one battery only, 18V on heaters is no good.

Krinor

Or use a battery for heater power and an 18 Volt power supply for the rest ?

Dano: How about a high voltage version ?

bancika

in that case it would be better to use a 12V regulator for heaters and ditch the battery all together

Faber

Sweet!  A tube pedal that won't kill a noob (me).  Can't wait to start the build!

A question for niopren, did you duplicate the circuit to make the dual overdrive?  That's what it looks like, I just want to make sure.

Krinor

Quote from: Faber on January 11, 2008, 05:31:28 PM
Sweet!  A tube pedal that won't kill a noob (me).  Can't wait to start the build!

A question for niopren, did you duplicate the circuit to make the dual overdrive?  That's what it looks like, I just want to make sure.

He probably used this one:

Quote from: dano12 on January 10, 2008, 08:48:15 PM

For lowering bass, you could try lowering the value of either the input cap, or the coupling cap between the two tube stages.

I tried changing the 0,47uF input cap to 0,22uF. This cut into to the midrange as well as the bass content and rendered the tone control pretty much useless. I've left it stock now and I've ended up liking it that way.

A footnote though; Wouldn't it be possible to bleed some bass to ground by putting a cap over two of the lugs of the volume control without loosing too much of the mids ?

niopren

Quote from: Faber on January 11, 2008, 05:31:28 PM

yes, i build two identical circuit... and wiring the DPDT for one circuit only boost the first circuit.