Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forsakenrider

Quote from: tranceracer on March 29, 2008, 12:31:51 AM
I used the C1, C2, D2 from this power filter and still get the 60 Hz hum from my small wall wart.

Maybe there's a better filter out there.  Any other recommendations?

http://www.dxing.info/equipment/wall_warts_bryant.dx

Renegadrian

Quote from: tranceracer on March 29, 2008, 12:31:51 AM
Glad you got the problems resolved!   :D
Did you place the 100uF across the +/- of the power leads?

Yes, man, that was recomended some pages ago...
put a 100uF cap across the DC jack (positive leg to positive rail, neg. leg to neg. rail), then, instead of connecting the positive rail directly to the circuit, connect it to the regulator's pin1, ground to pin2, and the circuit to pin3. Then screw it on the enclosure. It is a 7812.

The caps legs are soldered directly to the dc jack lugs...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

tranceracer

Thanks Renegadrian, I'm going to try Forsakenrider's link using the 470uF and .1uF filter next.

tranceracer

Well here's my little contribution to this awesome thread.   :D
Here's a smaller PC board for this cool little pre.  I've used it and verified that it works.  Haven't hooked up the voltage divider section but it should work too. 

The trace and components are exactly mirrored so, fold on the line and  iron the trace and components on the PC at the same time.
This is 300dpi image.

Enjoy!!

Renegadrian

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 20, 2008, 12:15:39 PM

* 12AU7 = the main choice, good. The one I liked the most was a RCA.
* 12AT7 = not bad, try one and see if you like the result...They sound good stock and I believe they could be even better with minor tweakings...
* 12BH7 = Didn't know that kind of tube...They are great to use on this project!!! They give a little more gain too, to my ears...

After the insertion of the 7812 in the circuit, which makes it very silent (Hell, dead silent!!!  :icon_eek:), I tried again 12BH7 - well, they hum...Maybe they'd work with some tweaking, but not this way...6BQ7A seem to act the same way (and they do light a lot!!!).
Waitin' my breadboard to arrive, I believe those two types can give a lot more...

Got my Valvy 002 completed, up and running...I used...
- my Vero layout <---(insert PROUD smiley here...)
- 2.7M for R1 instead of 1M
- 470k for R2 instead of 220k
- 7812 and 100uF DC filter
- NO tone

It seems to have some more gain...Not a high gain box, but worth this lil' change...

Here's a pic...

Guess who inspired me in this second version?!  :icon_wink:

andrew_k

Nice work, love that sparkle paint!

I'm not surprised you've left out the tone control, I have grown to hate it :( I just leave it at full all the time so it doesn't suck treble. Next mods for mine are adding an output buffer and finding a replacement for the tone control. Maybe Jack's variation of the SWTC will do the trick.

Renegadrian

Glad you liked it, Andrew!  :icon_wink:
Yeah, I went toneless for this second Valvy - my first Valvy still has the tone control, I think it is not so useful...Maybe I'll put a on/off switch for a fixed rate booster (mosfet maybe, or Stratoblaster) so with a trimmer instead of the pot that controls gain...Or just a resistor...
That shoud go AFTER the tube, in my lil' experience...

Now it's time to go TWIN!!!  8)

andrew_k

Quote from: Renegadrian on April 03, 2008, 09:26:52 PM

I still disagree  :P  :P  :P

I'm currently playing with a greedtone OD/dist absoluytely cranked, running into the valvecaster with gain on about 3.
Holy crap. Seriously heavy!

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

man, you should read some previous post,in this very same page... :icon_wink:

put a 100uF cap across the DC jack (positive leg to positive rail, neg. leg to neg. rail), then, instead of connecting the positive rail directly to the circuit, connect it to the regulator's pin1, ground to pin2, and the circuit to pin3. Then screw it on the enclosure. It is a 7812.

Renegadrian

Quote from: andrew_k on April 03, 2008, 09:48:19 PM
Quote from: Renegadrian on April 03, 2008, 09:26:52 PM

I still disagree  :P  :P  :P

I'm currently playing with a greedtone OD/dist absoluytely cranked, running into the valvecaster with gain on about 3.
Holy crap. Seriously heavy!

Well, I tried a Mosfet booster before and after...While the first solution overloads the tube, and the sound is just too "boomy", the second option boost the already distorted sound, leaving the tube to work at its best.
That in my lil' personal experience...Maybe the greedtone you have sounds best the way you use it... :icon_wink:

And now...I started to put the components in the vero for the Twinny...Got everything to hook up but the pots...damn...

brad

Hey folks!  I don't see the point of running 12AX7's at low voltage when space charge tubes were designed for that purpose and sound freakin' great while they're at it.  Run a few of these in series and you can get anything from buffer to boost to overdrive.  See ya!

"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

Renegadrian

Hey Brad, that seems so interesting...Does it work well??? Gotta add it to the "gotta build it soon" list... :icon_wink:

Renegadrian

http://www.matsumin.net/diy/jisaku2/Valve_Caster/index.html

I'd really love to say ARIGATO to this man...Tht's the original page...Again, thx to Dano for his rendition...

frequencycentral

I just ordered a 6111, and am thinking of powering a Subcaster from two 9v batteries in series - anyone know what difference this will make to the sound and any changes I may have to make to the circuit?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Krinor

Tranceracer: That's a very nice layout. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone: I made a valvecaster for a guy, and he complained about getting in russian radio (those radiowaves really travel far) when using it with certain amps (but not his Boogie). Not that russian radio is such a bad thing, but it's not cool when combined with guitars... Is this an example of microphonics or is it something else ? Should there be some sort of RF filtering in this circuit to prevent this kind of thing happening, or would putting the tube INSIDE the box make all the difference ?

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Krinor

tranceracer

Quote from: Krinor on April 06, 2008, 03:08:50 PM
Tranceracer: That's a very nice layout. Thanks for sharing.

No problemo my pleasure!   :D

Quote from: Krinor on April 06, 2008, 03:08:50 PM
getting in russian radio (those radiowaves really travel far) when using it with certain amps (but not his Boogie). Not that russian radio is such a bad thing, but it's not cool when combined with guitars... Is this an example of microphonics or is it something else ? Should there be some sort of RF filtering in this circuit to prevent this kind of thing happening, or would putting the tube INSIDE the box make all the difference ?

Does the radio interference still happen when the box is bypassed?
Does it still happen when you turn the box 90 degrees?

Renegadrian