Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 07, 2008, 06:00:58 PM
Here's my 8th Valvy - I found this little box, actually designed to hold coins, and I went - Would it be crazy to build a Valvy inside one of those? Hell yeah - ok, I have to do it!!!

So here it is!!! I dedicated it to my gone too soon daddy, who left us ten years ago. It was a rainy november day, just like today...
I know he'd appreciate...

Man that makes me sad - but 8 >>> you are the Valvecaster Master!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

robizz

anyone has made a mod increasing the beavis audio valvecaster gain?

(my valvecaster runs with 12 volt power supply!)
Sorry for my very bad english but i'm italian! (and i think you've understood that!)

frequencycentral

Quote from: robizz on November 08, 2008, 03:54:17 AM
anyone has made a mod increasing the beavis audio valvecaster gain?

(my valvecaster runs with 12 volt power supply!)

Have a look at this: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=71864.0

frequencycentral

mitzrecords

hhmmm I just built one. but there is a little radio frequencies. other than that, it sounds really good.

I checked GEO debugging page and followed the instruction and mine is true bypass with 3pdt switch,

sorry dumb question but for the shielding, mine enclosure have some vents like little holes. does this effect?

sorry i dunno what else to do..

mth5044

Well, I'm finally getting around to building the damn thing (two valvecasters and a 5672 boost in one box), and the design I'm going to implement has room for a bunch of switches, probably 6 TOPS! Reading the PDF, there are a lot of mods, so I thought I'd ask.

What is your favorite mod(s)?

Smiler

Quote from: mitzrecords on November 11, 2008, 08:01:03 PM
hhmmm I just built one. but there is a little radio frequencies. other than that, it sounds really good.

I checked GEO debugging page and followed the instruction and mine is true bypass with 3pdt switch,

sorry dumb question but for the shielding, mine enclosure have some vents like little holes. does this effect?

sorry i dunno what else to do..

I don't think that the holes have a big influence... Try to connect all ground wires to a single point (input or output jack) if you don't have already. Another thing you can try is to connect the case to ground (some signal and DC jacks are isolated and maybe there is no connection from ground to the case).

Cursor

I realised I still hadn't used the NOS American (CBS) 12U7 that Brett kindly hooked me up with about 18 months ago.

So last night I threw together a Valvecaster - and WOW. I can see what everyone's raving about. A definate "authority" to the sound, with gorgeous breakup when I crank the gain. My stock Tele loves it, but a hot Dimarzio humbucker really brings out the best. A Shin Ei FY-2 in front of it sounds b*****d heavy but removes the dynamics completely.

Now to breadboard LPB-1, Sparkle Boost (any other boost suggestions?) and a few others and find the best booster to put in the box.

I'm using a decent 12V wallwart and have no noise issues. I used a 100Kb pot for the gain control but otherwise built stock. The caps in the diagram are perfect for me (I used green beasties), not too bright or dark.

Love it!

frequencycentral

Quote from: Cursor on November 15, 2008, 09:07:17 AM
Now to breadboard LPB-1, Sparkle Boost (any other boost suggestions?) and a few others and find the best booster to put in the box.

PentaBoost - keep it all tube!

Cursor

Quote from: frequencycentral on November 15, 2008, 09:10:46 AM
PentaBoost - keep it all tube!

- Hmm, there's a thought. If only I had subminis. I could trawl through the tubes box for other space charge pentodes, but I believe I'm completely out of sockets now.

I'm tempted to nick the ECH83 triode-heptode preamp and PSU out of my hybrid amp. I wonder how the 12U7 Valvecaster would handle a B+ of 20V. Datasheet suggests it'd be OK, but I'm not sure I even want the headroom; I really like the sound as is.

Also, solid-state would definately fit in the box  ;D

Br4d13y

i was wondering if it could be easily changed to run a 12at7? i don't have time to read through all the pages, so i just want to see if it is posible as this is the only of the 12a*7 series tubes i have now.
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

Zben3129

It will probably run just like it is with a 12at7. The only thing is you migght get massive ugly distortion, but maybe not. You will definitely get more gain, as 1t7 is higher gain than au7, but IIRC it has higher Ip, I don't know if that will affect this circuit or not.

Might as well try it for now and then just put in the 12au7 later.

Zach

Br4d13y

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

Renegadrian

I did try a 12at7 in it in the past - no big differences...but I'd stay with the u's...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

kurtlives

Cant find it now... What are the "clean" mods? I remeber it involved the plate resistors.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

andrew_k

Quote from: kurtlives on November 17, 2008, 10:11:44 PM
Cant find it now... What are the "clean" mods? I remeber it involved the plate resistors.

Halve them.

squallc

:icon_lol: Hi guys,
I have built this matsumin valve caster, it's sound good for me. But, i want to add more Gain, how to do that. And i feel some compressed sound if i turn the gain pot to max. I want to increased the gain to get a "picking: sound.
Need your help, thanks.

frequencycentral

Quote from: squallc on November 25, 2008, 10:29:42 AM
I have built this matsumin valve caster, it's sound good for me. But, i want to add more Gain, how to do that. And i feel some compressed sound if i turn the gain pot to max. I want to increased the gain to get a "picking: sound.
Need your help, thanks.

Have a look at this: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=71864.0

It's not quite a Valvecaster, but based on it. And it needs verifying.

kurtlives

Quote from: squallc on November 25, 2008, 10:29:42 AM
Need your help, thanks.
You could try a bypass cap on the gain pot. Try 0.68mF for a bit more bite and gain or 22mF for a nice linear boost.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

Another experiment report for the records...
I tried to put in a 6021 (submini dual triode tube) powering the heaters thru a 7806 (it must receive 6.3 V)
The pins follow the 6111 schematic you can find in the first pages

It works but the sound it's not good at all...Guess I have to breadboard it and find the mandatory tweakings that could make this tube shine!!! Not for now, though...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!