Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

kurtlives

Looks pretty lame, for $140 I would expect it as least painted. The description is pretty funny.

Wonder who's vero layout he used ::)
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zben3129

I like the fact that that pedal wont work for half the people considering he put in a 12v reg and is saying to use a 12v supply. Anyone who tries to use a 12v regulated supply is gonna get nothing  :icon_eek:

Zach

drk

Quote from: Zben3129 on November 29, 2008, 12:20:24 PM
I like the fact that that pedal wont work for half the people considering he put in a 12v reg and is saying to use a 12v supply. Anyone who tries to use a 12v regulated supply is gonna get nothing  :icon_eek:

Zach

though exactly the same when i read it :)

Jered

Quote from: kurtlives on November 28, 2008, 10:11:17 PM
Looks pretty lame, for $140 I would expect it as least painted. The description is pretty funny.

Wonder who's vero layout he used ::)

This is from his website.

Many thanks and respect to Andrew Carrell for providing such good layouts which some of these pedals are based on.

If you want to know more about making your own guitar pedals please visit www.diystompboxes.com

kurtlives

Andy never made a vero layout for the Valvy though.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Jered

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 28, 2008, 07:34:54 AM
Another experiment report for the records...
I tried to put in a 6021 (submini dual triode tube) powering the heaters thru a 7806 (it must receive 6.3 V)
The pins follow the 6111 schematic you can find in the first pages

It works but the sound it's not good at all...Guess I have to breadboard it and find the mandatory tweakings that could make this tube shine!!! Not for now, though...

Here you go Adriano. The first schem is straight high gain. The second is med/high gain with over the top gain switching. Also added an EQ by-pass switch to allow the full tone without any loss.
  Sounds good at 18 volts but increase the voltage and it becomes more amp like, especially above 24 volts. With some minor tweaks it works at 12 volts, but at 12 volts it is hard to get the palm muting chunk you want with high gain.

kurtlives

Can you explain the 470pF caps going from plate to cathode on some tubes? Shave off some highs?

Also whats the point of the 2M2 and that cap (cant read value) from the plate to grid? Seen this before in some Dumble designs, some form of NFB?

I like your use of filters throughout, original design?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

Jered, you're the man!  :icon_wink: Guess I'll have to send you some more Rome souvenirs...
THX again for the tubes and for your kindness. And  for those schems too! I'll try the first next week!!!

guitarman89

scusa renegadrian io sono di carpineto romano e vengo tutti i giorni a roma perchè studio alla sapienza, ma queste mini valvole le posso trovare anche nella capitale??  :icon_lol:
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

Renegadrian

Check this out,it should be correct...I'll try it for sure, Jered, I surely look for high gain and got a 6021 handy waiting to be heated...
EDIT: I inverted the order of the 2 res at the input (pulldown comes after) - I believe it's the same thing, isn't it?

Renegadrian

BUILD REPORT
Unfortunately this thing doesn't seem to work...Gotta check it better tomorrow, maybe I went wrong on the soldering or the layout has something wrong (pls check it!)
The tube lights on, and that's ok...it gets its 6v thru the 7806...But no sound at all... :icon_cry:
I run it at 12V, I know 18 or 24 would give more headroom, but only got a regular wall wart around, so I put 12V
I guess it should give some sound anyway...

squallc

Quote from: kurtlives on November 25, 2008, 04:03:26 PM
Quote from: squallc on November 25, 2008, 10:29:42 AM
:icon_lol: Hi guys,
I have built this matsumin valve caster, it's sound good for me. But, i want to add more Gain, how to do that. And i feel some compressed sound if i turn the gain pot to max. I want to increased the gain to get a "picking: sound.
Need your help, thanks.
You could try a bypass cap on the gain pot. Try 0.68mF for a bit more bite and gain or 22mF for a nice linear boost.
Thanks, bypass Cap will add some gain, but it is on the first stage, how about the second stage of 12 AU7? i'm sure it will generate more harsh/fuzz sound?not an overdrive. Actually, i need some bite sound/ more picking sound with a super sensitive.

Jered

Layout looks ok. Maybe it won't work at 12 volts. I'll put it back on the breadboard and give it a try at 12 volts. I'll report back.

Jered

OK just breadboarded it at 12 volts and it works fine. Loses a little headroom at 12 volts but still sounds real good.

Renegadrian

Jered, I checked my vero again - The layout is correct, I just made a late night error at building, I soldered a cap in the wrong tracks...obviously the signal path was broken and then...NO SOUND!!!
Made the right connection and VOILA' IT WORKS!
I get a Valvecaster-like gain at 12V, I believe 18 or 24 surely give more headroom.
A good power filtering is MANDATORY.

THX again for your work.   :icon_wink:

Renegadrian

Renegadrian

Back on the standard Valvy - a friend reported me the following mods he made...

R2 (orig. 220k) 56k to avoid distortion at min gain.
R3 (orig. 100k) 560k he gets a nicer gain, in his words...

gotta try them...just two res. swap...

He also puts a 1µF cap at the 7812 between ground and Vout, in place of the 100µF between Vin and ground.

served

Some how, i cant find the power regulator anymore... Im using 2 transistors one for 12V and the other one for 9V. There are punch on caps and that all. I got a schematic somewhere, but i cant find it anymore. Some one?