Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Altough I like to go TUBE all the way, I did find a Tillman a good addition to the Valvy - It stays quite clear and doesn't add too much gain. So it boosts the tube in a "natural" way.
Rick finds a LPB a good addition, I tried but didn't like it, as Valvy is on the bass side and LPB too...
Try some booster and see what suits best for your ears. I'd suggest you Tillman - DOD 210 (labelled wrong in the gallery 201) - EA booster (first stage of the tremolo)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Kaffeetrinker

Yeah alright...maybe gotta fatten the signal a bit for my like...
but:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album14/album143/DOD_201_JFET_PREAMP_VERO_001.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1 what does the red square with the red dot mean? its a cut connection line I guess?

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

svstee

Can anyone take a look at my layout? I tried building it last night without success and I want to make sure I'm working off a correct layout.

frequencycentral

Quote from: svstee on March 28, 2009, 11:37:38 AM
Can anyone take a look at my layout? I tried building it last night without success and I want to make sure I'm working off a correct layout.

Your revised layout looks ok. But check that your breaks in the strips are actually 100% breaks - electrons only need a tiny connection too small for you to see with the naked eye. It's a common problem with stripboard, one reason I don't like the stuff. Use a continuity tester to determine this.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

svstee

I do, and I also use a jeweler's loupe to check.

I found my mistake, I messed up on parts positioning. Thats what happens when you build at 1:30a.m. I guess.

Glad to know the layout looks good, I'll report back if I can get this working.

svstee

Well I fixed it (C3 was going from 10a to 10b instead of from 10a to 10c) but now I am running into quite an interesting problem. The 10 ohm resistor does nothing. I'm getting the full 9.16v on pin 3, and that probably killed my tube as well. I've tested the resistor, 10.2 ohms, I replaced the resistor and it still does the same thing.

What is going on?

Ripthorn

Sounds like it isn't drawing the current you think it is.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

svstee

Bu its the exact same voltage as my power supply, so I doubt it. It seems like I have a short somewhere, but I measured with my DMM, and there is 10r between the 9.16v and pin three, which also reads 9.16v.

frequencycentral

Quote from: svstee on March 28, 2009, 02:21:00 PM
Bu its the exact same voltage as my power supply, so I doubt it. It seems like I have a short somewhere, but I measured with my DMM, and there is 10r between the 9.16v and pin three, which also reads 9.16v.

Mystifying. I'm sure my calculation for the voltage drop resistor is correct. It could be a short. Have you any other way to derive the heater voltage? Like a LM317? I wonder if it would be possible to use a number of 1n4148 in series to drop the voltage........each one has a voltage drop of 0.7v if I recall. So four in series would drop 2.8 volts. Never tried it..........I wonder if it would work?

svstee

Hmmm, I like the 1n4148 idea. Do you think I destroyed my tube by running it with 9v on pin 3?

frequencycentral

Quote from: svstee on March 28, 2009, 02:31:43 PM
Do you think I destroyed my tube by running it with 9v on pin 3?

Probably not. They are tough little @#$%ers. You may have reduced it's life a little though. I once accidentally ran 12 volts through a 6111 heater without destroying it.

svstee

Wow, good to know. I'm going to go try that diode thing, I'll let you know if it works.

snap

svstee

Hey Rick, can you link to the datsheet for the 6111 and 5672? I can't seem to find them.

Edit: Nevermind, I found them.

Altec

Got a  5672, and two 12AU7's on order.  :icon_biggrin: If I like it enough, I may build a power amp, and build myself a practice amp!  :icon_biggrin:

KorovaMilkBar

i just ordered the parts yesterday and hopefully i will get what i need, although i think i might have gotten a couple things wrong, i guess we will find out. it sucks since i cant find a decent components store anywhere in San Diego. anyone have any suggestions?

biggy boy

Quote from: KorovaMilkBar on March 28, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
i just ordered the parts yesterday and hopefully i will get what i need, although i think i might have gotten a couple things wrong, i guess we will find out. it sucks since i cant find a decent components store anywhere in San Diego. anyone have any suggestions?

EBay is a good source for parts, I get stuff all the time from Canadian dealers.

Glen

KorovaMilkBar

thanks for the advice, fortunately i went to Fry's electronics today and they had just about everything i need. i just need the mono audio jacks and some sort of ac jack. i did get a universal ac adapter that has a connector that resembles a 9v battery so i might just throw in a battery jack instead. the radioshack by my house should have some mono jacks in by tuesday so i just need to grab that and the battery jack and the tube i ordered should be in by then. so ya! hopefully i will have all the parts and get started by next weekend. once im done and if it turns out good i will definitely post pictures!

svstee

Alright, I got my layout working.

A couple problems with it, however.

1: Heater voltage is 5.96v, datasheet says 6.0v to 6.6v. Am I close enough? All I had were 10.7 Ohm 7 watt resistors.
2: Gain control does nothing.
3: I have less gain and slightly less treble with this than I do with my 12AU7 Valvecaster (no tone control version).

Any help would be appreciated.