Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

panterica

Is there any news on the infamous Promiscuous Girlfriend yet?

bassmannate

Hello! This is my first time posting here.

This thing sounds fantastic on guitar! My question is whether anyone has tried it on bass? Anyone have some sound clips of it on bass? I'm wanting to build an overdrive but I really don't like the jagged sounding nature of transistors for overdrive. You guys say that the stock Valvecaster is somewhat bassy sounding but would it need some larger value caps to let a bit more bass through anyway? I'm also guessing the tone stack would need a different cap to bring the response range down a bit.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm fairly new at pedal making and I've NEVER worked with tubes before.

Ripthorn

Look on the previous page, Adriano and someone else were talking about how good this sounds with a bass.  You could try it stock first and see if you like it.  If not, you can change in/out caps and tonestack values to get what you want.  You can use Duncan's tone stack calculator to make sure you get the right tone stack range.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

biggy boy

Quote from: bassmannate on May 07, 2009, 09:42:13 AM
  My question is whether anyone has tried it on bass? 

Hi bassmanate welcome to the forum.
Yes it does sound good when used with a bass.
Especially if it is a lefthanded bass :icon_lol:
I have no sound clips to offer at this time though.
I roll back the gain to clean up the sound.

Glen

Salvatore

Quote from: kristoffereide on May 01, 2009, 04:35:30 AM
I just finished mine last night, and it sounds great!!! Full warm tone. A little hiss way way in the back, but I'll get to that. (any ideas what it could be?) I built mine in a BB, so I have the option for a twin. I like the look of a glowing tube, so I put a orange LED in the middle whole in the socket (i just jammed a 3mm in there). Looks amateurish, since I lost my socket screwes, but it works! I also keep the voltage to the tube on constantly, I just bypass the signal. Don't know it this is a good idea, but I guess off-ing and on-ing the DC to the tube isn't best for the tube...

Nice going, I only think putting that tube beside the stomp switch is creepy.
In the heat of playing, and suddenly wanting to stomp valvy, I would certainly kick that tube out of commission fast.
Personally I would have put the tube above the pots to give the footswitch a little more space.
In this case you might consider putting around the tube some sort of cage, which also would provide extra protection when carrying it around..
(Ore you just want it lying on the same spot all the time, always engaged, in that case,, never mind.  :icon_wink: )

Renegadrian

It surely helps to be lefthanded!  :icon_razz:
Well, I play both guitar and bass and I really enjoy my Valvy. I use the toneless version, and use the amp EQ for small adjustments, but it works just fine for my ears, I just plug and play! As the other southpaw wrote, you can get nice "fat" tone with the gain rolled down a little, to get a full but undistorted sound.
I got a good sound to play in a queensryche cover band (second reharsal for now...)

Wanna know the way it works with bass?! I uploaded a couple of samples I did some time ago.
hope that helps.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Renegadrian/bass-a.mp3.html
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Renegadrian/bass-b.mp3.html

bassmannate

Very nice. Sounds like it will be capable of producing more than enough overdrive for me. Of course, I have a little dilemma now. My next project WAS slated to be an Orange Squeezer but after hearing this, I'm not sure which I want to do first. I really NEED a compressor for my rig but I really WANT a Valvecaster. Decisions, decisions...   :icon_mrgreen:

Renegadrian

bassmannate

Does the Valvy really provide that much compression to the signal? I don't have much experience with tubes (heck, all the bass amps I've ever owned have been good ole' reliable Hartke combos!) so I don't have much insight into how they alter the sound.

Renegadrian

I think I can say it acts like a compressor in its way...The sound on the bass is actually tight and round, very full...It boosts the signal in the best way! And I love to keep it as a booster with the gain at mid run or just add some grit turning it up...

bassmannate

Ok, I think you just about have me convinced.

Hmmm...I saw MUCH earlier in the thread someone mention using a 12au7 in place of the 4558 in the Orange Squeezer...Perhaps this could be reversed and a switchable feedback compressor could be integrated into the Valvy...I'll have to think about this for a bit...

bassmannate

Alright, I think I've decided that I'm going to build the Valvecaster. I just have a few questions for you guys.

First, what brand tubes are you guys using? I don't want to go bottom of the barrel but I don't really want to spend more than $10-$15 on a tube.

Second, what all do I need to mount the tube? Obviously I need a socket. Will any 8 pin tube socket do? Looks like there's quite a selection at tubedepot.com. Is there anything else I need to secure the tube like a base or retainer since the tube will be sticking quite proudly out of the enclosure? Like I said before, I've never even owned anything with tubes in it much less built anything with tubes.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

bassmannate

Doh. That's right. I'm confusing myself because we're only USING 8 pins on the tube. So, any of the 9 pin sockets will work?

Renegadrian

Quote from: bassmannate on May 08, 2009, 10:41:58 AM
Alright, I think I've decided that I'm going to build the Valvecaster. I just have a few questions for you guys.

First, what brand tubes are you guys using? I don't want to go bottom of the barrel but I don't really want to spend more than $10-$15 on a tube.

Second, what all do I need to mount the tube? Obviously I need a socket. Will any 8 pin tube socket do? Looks like there's quite a selection at tubedepot.com. Is there anything else I need to secure the tube like a base or retainer since the tube will be sticking quite proudly out of the enclosure? Like I said before, I've never even owned anything with tubes in it much less built anything with tubes.

There is no specific brand to use...You can buy a new tube (EH are about 7 euros) or go shopping thru EvilBay, you can get some vintage tubes for even less (I usually paid no more than 4 euros each)
You also need a 9pin socket, with or without its shield.
Have a look HERE and HERE
The tube will be firmly secured by its pins in the socket.

bassmannate

Awsome. Ordered some parts today. I'm going to make the gain switchable with a second footswitch. That way, I can use it as a boost unless I want a bit more overdrive. I'm going to put a 50k resistor in along with the 50k pot and switch back and forth with a dpdt footswitch. I even got a bi-color led that will change color depending on what's on.

KorovaMilkBar

well after about a month of being broke and having to put this project off, i finally ordered some tube sockets the other day and i am hoping to see them in the mail today (not likely but who knows) i just wanted to know how well is the wiring layout on page 1 drawn? any revisions i need to note before putting things together?  i cant wait to start building this one! i will post a picture of my finished project when i can get it to work. man, cant wait!

KorovaMilkBar

alright so i am about halfway through and thoroughly drunk  :icon_biggrin:

i have decided to postpone the completion until tomorrow. i will take pictures of the finished project (i will try to add some circuit shots, however ugly they are) and gives some a little backstory as too how i got it done. see you all tomorrow, hopefully i will have an awesome pedal!

bassmannate

Yeah, I can't imagine that soldering irons and alcohol mix too well.