would it be dumb to have an inductor on a buffer?

Started by kvb, December 18, 2007, 03:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kvb

I've been working on a little something for too long. I am now trying to finalize it on perfboard.

It is a fuzz with an input buffer followed by an inductor - see deluxe bazz fuss, etc. Jack Orman, et. al.
The buffer is part of the circuit, not external.

This buffer also has the phase reversal circuit attached.  edit: Maybe I should mention that the phase reverser is discrete (diode compression circuit) so the final output impedance would not be that of an op amp but rather a 2n5089.

So what this means is that when I am done, instead of making the pedal true bypass, I could make it buffered bypass with a phase selector.

And since it is explained by others that some circuits such as fuzzes may need to have that inductor in the path . . .

---- the question is, should I leave the inductor as part of the circuit's bypass mode?  And thus put an inductor in front of another subsequent fuzz or wah, etc?

Has anyone else used this?  Does it sound like a decent idea?  Any potential problems with this?

Thanks

Processaurus

I don't know, if it were my thing my instinct would be to true bypass the whole mess, I wouldn't trust a pickup simulator (inductor) not to mess with the way things sound.  Some fuzzes leak distortion back to the input too. 

I'd like to try this some rainy day with my clone of a popular oscillating Ge fuzz, so that I can split before it and blend other effects with it (a la the DOD punkifier, which blends OD with gnarly fuzz), and put synthesizers into it and still be able to get the broader range of sounds you do with a guitar plugged straight in. 

kvb

Quote from: Processaurus on December 19, 2007, 06:48:47 AM
can split before it and blend other effects with it
yup, that is the reason for the input buffer. (I'm not trying to sound smart, but I learned this while working on the bread-board)

Well, I'm hoping to complete this project soon. It won't be easy for me but I'll be getting the scheme and clips posted eventually - so, I guess I'll let others know what I learn, unless someone beats me to it.