MXR Distortion+ running on 12 volts question

Started by frequencycentral, June 25, 2008, 02:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

I decided to notch my pedalboard power supply up to 12 volts the other day - because I know my Valvecaster sounds crunchier that way. However, at 12 volts my DIY MXR D+ didn't want to play - no sound. I know my Boss pedals don't mind 12 volts, and certain other applications I am considering would run better at 12 volts. I didn't fry the D+, it still works just fine from 9 volts.

So enlighten me - why won't it work on 12 volts?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Mark Hammer

Dumb question but is there a difference in the the polarity of the 12v and 9v supplies at the jack?  Are the plugs different diameters possibly?  Do you have any 6.3v caps in there?

frequencycentral

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 25, 2008, 09:47:20 PM
Dumb question but is there a difference in the the polarity of the 12v and 9v supplies at the jack?  Are the plugs different diameters possibly?  Do you have any 6.3v caps in there?

Same jack - just switched voltage on the wallwart - the stompbox's LED still lights up. I don't think the cap was too low voltage - will check later - at work now!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

petemoore

See how much voltage is getting into the box through the DC jack.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JasonG

I messed up a boss delay with a 12v adaptor make sure it uses the ACA (12v) adaptor not the PSA (9v).
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

GibsonGM

Check the voltages at the D+ and then audio probe, I'd suggest...might have popped a cap or something...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...