Thanks
Mich P.

Dragonfly

Also, you can get similar results using  inkjet "dark t-shirt iron on" paper

Mich P

Thanks Dragonfly
Mich P.

Solidhex

Found this tutorial a while back for some cheap screen printing never tried it...

http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html

--Brad

modsquad

Some observations on silkscreening from my experience with stompboxes:

1.  Small lettering is a bitch.  Hard to get enough paint through the screen without runs.
2.  Multicolor is a pain.
3.  Adhesion of the screen to the box.   I used spray adhesive like they say and the screen sits on the adhesive and lets paint under the edges.

After doing all that.   Unless you have a "professional" type setup.  Its really not as easy as it looks for stompboxes.   I would suggest the waterslide route.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

Mich P

I think you 're right mod squad
i gonna try waterslide
Does it exist translucent ?
to have an effect like the "zvex box of rock"
vexter serie ?
Mich P.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: modsquad on January 08, 2008, 02:40:02 PM
Some observations on silkscreening from my experience with stompboxes:
3.  Adhesion of the screen to the box.   I used spray adhesive like they say and the screen sits on the adhesive and lets paint under the edges.

That's not how traditional screenprinting is done.
In screenprinting, the screen is held a mm or so off the surface of the object that you are printing on.
Then you run a squeegee along the screen, pressing down as you do so, so that the squeegee forces the screen (which is very slightly elastic) into contact with the target surface in a sharp line. As the squeegee passes a point on the target surface, the screen "snaps back".

I agree entirely that it is NOT EASY to successfully screen onto metal. Plus you need special paint, with a catalyst, and you need to bake it as well, for a robust finish. I have seen it done - at several different places - but I don't want to do it myself. It IS doable, though.

modsquad

The main reason I tried it was to try and find some easier way to get white lettering.  Based on what I have heard it takes some technique and the right equipment.  But I concur that doing it yourself on metal is not very easy.   Worked like a charm on my daughters volleyball team shirts.  But then again cloth absorbs the paint somewhat.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

jonse

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on January 09, 2008, 08:04:25 AM
Plus you need special paint, with a catalyst, and you need to bake it as well, for a robust finish. I have seen it done - at several different places - but I don't want to do it myself. It IS doable, though.

Actually you can get an air dried ink from Nazdar called AED series which has two parts: the ink and an activation catalyst. I am still experimenting with trying to get a good print.