Differernce between A and D taper?

Started by jpm83, January 16, 2008, 11:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

I just "salvaged" a couple of 50k D taper pots from radio cassette recorder. I have understood that D is some sor of audio taper, but what kind.

Janne

John Lyons

I don't think I've heard or a "D" taper.
Put a knob on the shaft and mount it in a box or cardboard so it wont slip.
Mark the rotations %.
Measure the resistance at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% (or smaller increments) and make a graph of the taper curve.
Then you will know what the taper is.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dai H.

I've read of them and one source describes it as an accentuated audio taper

http://part.freelab.jp/image/VRcave.gif

John Lyons

Whaddaya know...?
Cool little graph there. Thanks Dai.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dai H.

sure, no problem. I just happened to have that link because I was searching for info on the (apparently slightly unusual) "D" taper to see if I could find some connection between that and old wah pot tapers.

jpm83

Thanks for the replies. So it's even more logarithmic than A taper.

Janne

d95err

Just remember that different manufacturers use different ways to label their pots. Sometimes "A" is for Audio, sometimes its A(linear) B(log) and C(rev log). To know the taper of a pot, you need to read the datasheet from the manufacturer or measure it (as suggested above).

Michael Weidenauer

Maybe there are exeptions, but normally American and Japanese manufacturers use b for linear and a for log tapers, European companies use a for linear and b for log.

Dai H.

the other little bit of info I found here:

http://www.rane.com/par-p.html

audio taper (aka A-taper): Usually 15% resistance at the 50% rotation point.

log taper (aka D-taper): Often used as an audio taper since its 50% rotation point has 10% resistance.

and as far as the wah pot stuff this is what I was looking at:

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kazuhee/wahpots.htm

pawleep

will a D taper (dournes D250K) work ok for a guitar or bass volume and/or tone?

buck1107

I was looking for a replacement mini potentiometer "D500K" and looked everywhere, but couldn't locate any D tapers.
However, when I contacted Bourns, they knew what it was. 
Apparently, they call the "D taper" an "A2 taper," and it is 10% output at 50% rotation, so just about 5 or 10% less output than the standard audio taper (or "A").

jfrabat

Well, learned something today.  Had never heard of D taper before reading this!
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

Rob Strand

buck1107's post got it.

D = log  taper ;     10%               (of total resistance at mid position)
A = audio taper;   15% to 20% (of total resistance at mid position)

In the old days there were a lot of D's.   Perhaps around the late 70's  A's started to become the norm.
Both were always available.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.