Easyvibe depth control reduces bass

Started by Mick Bailey, January 17, 2008, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Bailey

I'm really happy with the sound of my newly built Easyvibe. It has a .1uf input cap to help with the bass response and the 47k feedback resistor on the input stage increased to 100k to slightly increase volume. No other mods.

Its really deep, rich and lush sounding on maximum depth. Trouble is, the bass pretty much disappears when the depth is reduced. Can anyone assist me with this?

The build is on Veroboard to the layout http://aronnelson.com/gallery/d/4929-2/easyvibeboard_final.jpg using all new components individually tested before use. I've checked the tracks and solder joints under a magnifying glass and can't see anything wrong.

Is this a feature of the Easyvibe? How does anyone else find the depth control?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I've stared at this for hours without success.

Mick

nooneknows

have you already tried to bias?
Mine still doesn't sound how I wanted but I've noticed that bias influences the overall tone shaping too, not just the swirl.

Mick Bailey

Think you have something there; I originally set the bias when it was finished and was very happy with the swirl and didn't think of readjusting it. the bias does alter the tone and it looks like a compromise between swirl and tone with the current build. Have just played around with the bias and it improves things quite a bit (though at the cost of the best swirl)

I wonder if this can be got round by removing the depth pot and setting it to maximum depth with a fixed resistor - could the depth then be controlled another way, perhaps at the mixer stage? Someone must have played around with this.

The design is excellent and very close to what I'm looking for.