Tonecore Development Kit Introduction

Started by vettaville, January 21, 2008, 03:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanCostello

Also, it looks like the example code is in Symphony DSP assembler (i.e. Freescale 563xx assembly language). This will be a "little" harder than C to write in, but it is also an honest overview of what you need to do to get things running on these boxes.

Sean Costello

SeanCostello

I got a phone call yesterday from Line 6, saying that the Tonecore Development Kit was not shipping until mid August, and that I could cancel if that was too late. Personally, I stil think that counts as August, and for those of us that have been waiting for a working Development Kit since late 2005, what is an extra 2 weeks?

I am impressed that they called to tell me that, though. I've certainly had worse customer service before.

Sean Costello

joelap

I took a programming course in Assembly language unsing one of Motorola's microprocessors, as well as a Simulink-based DSP course using a TI chip.  Its probably an apples-oranges type comparison, but if the langauge for this DSP is anything similar to the assembly on the 68HC11 (albeit probably much more complex for dealing with DSP), I'd sign myself up for one.  I just want to make sure I wont be in over my head out the box.
- witty sig -

vettaville

Sorry, guys, I didn't have the oppertunity earlier to get the video out but here's a first part.
Marcus Ryle introducing and showing the TCDK with doc and module.
http://www.vettaville.nl/news.php#752
Other ones will follow shortly

SeanCostello

Thanks for the video, vettaville. I am looking forward to the next entries.

I wonder when a support forum will pop up for the developers. I know that the first example code will be a "tone control," which is probably either a biquad or state-variable based. It would be useful to have a delay line as example code, as well, or at least some tips on how to access the off-chip RAM in the dock.

Sean Costello

SeanCostello

Anyone know if there will be a support forum for this platform?

Sean Costello

defzeppardica

I was at Guitar Center and I asked the manager if she knew anything about the dev kit for line 6 and what not and she said they should get it i the beginning of september and it will cost 125. Anyone else hear this?

vettaville

Quote from: defzeppardica on July 30, 2008, 12:09:27 AM
I was at Guitar Center and I asked the manager if she knew anything about the dev kit for line 6 and what not and she said they should get it i the beginning of september and it will cost 125. Anyone else hear this?

The Tonecore Developemt Kit wil only sell through Line 6's website. A.F.A.I.K. there won't be a dedicated forum/help.

How much does it cost?
The complete ToneCore DSP Developer's Kit will be $199.99 and the additional modules will be $34.99 each. They will be available exclusively from our on-line store.

see here
http://line6.com/tcddk/

vettaville

Quote from: SeanCostello on July 25, 2008, 12:57:07 PM
Thanks for the video, vettaville. I am looking forward to the next entries.

I wonder when a support forum will pop up for the developers. I know that the first example code will be a "tone control," which is probably either a biquad or state-variable based. It would be useful to have a delay line as example code, as well, or at least some tips on how to access the off-chip RAM in the dock.

Sean Costello

Thanks Sean,

I've just uploaded part two
http://www.vettaville.nl/news.php

Mark Hammer

Dumb and embarassing question, but I believe I fried several of my modules a month or two back (the Verbzilla module I have never worked at all).  Is it possible to "repair" existing modules with the TCDK?

vettaville

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 01, 2008, 09:25:18 AM
Dumb and embarassing question, but I believe I fried several of my modules a month or two back (the Verbzilla module I have never worked at all).  Is it possible to "repair" existing modules with the TCDK?

Not that I know, you may want to issue an support ticket over at the Line 6 website, to see if they would extend their service and peplace it for you. You need to explain what you did to fry them of course...

Mark Hammer

I suspect it was a foolish error in terms of plugging in the wallwart before plugging the power jack in.  The modules themselves were freebies as a gesture of thanks from Jeorge for beta-testing.  I don't expect any sort of obligation on Line 6's part with respect to support or replacement, but I sure do miss those pedals.

Mark Hammer

I have to say that these 3 videos are one of the more refreshing examples of promotional/introduction chats I've seen.  Marcus is clearly comfortable with the product, and confident that it will fill a given niche to the best of its capability.  There is precious little hype or bombast coming out of his mouth.  Would that videos from other manufacturers were all like this.

Spinoo

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 06, 2008, 01:57:47 PM
Marcus is clearly [...] confident that it will fill a given niche

Well he can, as they seem to limit themselves to Continental US ; I sent them an email warning that I'm living in Europe and that I can't preorder the kit with no answer  :icon_cry:
Has anyone managed to do so with an address outside US  :icon_question:

vettaville

Thanks for the nice comments on the videos.

The TCDK will be available worldwide once they becomeavailable so don't worry. Yes at present it's set up for pre-order in the us only, but once thety're availabe you can order from anywhere in the world.

Regards Hans

ConanB

Nice, I really would love to get one of these down in the land of oz.

SeanCostello

Anyone received their Tonecore Developer Kit yet? I'm still waiting...

Mark Hammer