AMZ MINIBOOSTER BUILD REPORT !

Started by Dragonfly, January 24, 2008, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

OK...I've built a few Miniboosters in my time, but this was the first time I've built one using the original AMZ PCB ( www.muzique.com)...so I thought I'd give it a "proper review" !

First, let me explain the ratings. I'll rate on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the absolute highest (best) rating.

OK, now that's settled....

========================================================================================

EASE OF BUILD... 9 ...It's hard to imagine TOO much easier of a build...maybe an LPB or similar circuit... and with the AMZ PCB, it was even easier than my normal perf or vero builds ! Seriously, the instructions were crystal clear, and stuffing the board was dead easy. The fact that I opted to build it without any mods made it even simpler. (more on this in a moment !)

TONE... 9.5 ...ALMOST a "10", but I just can't see giving ANYTHING a 10 with regards to "tone"...every amp and player is different, but the Minibooster is truly a fantastic circuit for adding fat, creamy richness to your sound, with just a touch of "grit" at higher gain settings. I opted to build this one with no mods, including no tone control...just pure volume. IMO, the Minibooster doesn't need a tone control, and having one just detracts from the overall sound of it. I built this one using 2N5457 JFETs, and IMO, these sound far better than the J201's and NTE458's that I've previously used in this circuit.

BUILD TIME VS. USEFULNESS...10... ABSOLUTE "10". Seriously. It doesn't take long to build, and it's one of the most useful pedals you're likely to make. This, a Rangemaster, and a AMZ Mosfet Booster and all your boosting needs are covered.

OVERALL...9.5... Would I build it again ? Absolutely. Heck, I've already built 4 or 5 over the past few years. Every time I build one, a friend "borrows" it, and I never see it again !

========================================================================================

OK...on to the pictures !!!!

AMZ MINIBOOSTER PCB after "stuffing it" !

Lately I've been into "swirl painting" enclosures, and I've come up with my own method of doing it....so I did a "EZ Swirl" finish on the enclosure !

And here are the "guts"...not as tidy as usual for me, but not too bad !

John Lyons

Nice Build and review there Andy!
I'll give it a 9.5, just needs a metal washer instead of that white nylon one. (I make joke)

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dragonfly

Quote from: John Lyons on January 24, 2008, 10:43:21 PM
Nice Build and review there Andy!
I'll give it a 9.5, just needs a metal washer instead of that white nylon one. (I make joke)

John

I used the white because there was white on the pedal ! I almost used a black one though...  ;)

PS...did the package arrive today ?

petemoore

Yupp +1.
  I use one a Lot !
  My Fuzz, and OD, and my other distorter certainly are thinner and harsher without it, now that that's what I know and use, it'd be back to the drawing board without it. A favorite for sure.
  Thanks AMZ // Jack Orman !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jpm83

Nice looking build. How do you do those swirls? I'm currently working on a AMZ Muffmaster. It's now on testing phase, but it sounds great. I have a 50k linear pot in there right now in the place of an original 100k audio pot (because I don't have one on my hands right now). And I'm using 2N1711 as a tranny in it.

Janne

joegagan

i love the swirl paint.
even the bottom look like a work of art. very nice.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Timebutt

Very nice build, congrats.
I bet there are a lot of people wanting to spend money to buy one of these pedals :)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

amz-fx

Excellent build report!  Nice paint job! My builds look dull by comparison  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time to post this.  The pedal turned out very well and I hope you enjoy it!

Best regards, Jack

cpnyc23

Dragonfly

Is there a post where you have previously posted how you pull off that swirl paint job?  Not normally my thing, but that looks so smooth (especially the bottom!) that i've got to give it a shot.

big props on the work!

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

RDV

That one's so pretty I don't think I could step on it with my size 13W.

I love mine as well. It was probably my 3rd or 4th build and I used all the mods mentioned in R.G.'s "Mod Your Mu-Amp" article. It's a fire breather as configured.

RDV

Dragonfly

Quote from: cpnyc23 on January 25, 2008, 02:43:54 PM
Dragonfly

Is there a post where you have previously posted how you pull off that swirl paint job?  Not normally my thing, but that looks so smooth (especially the bottom!) that i've got to give it a shot.

big props on the work!

-chris

Thanks...I'm working on a tutorial for it...

:)

snoof

yep, I agree on the 5457's.  I found that they work the best in this crkt.  I always use a gain control ala the Stratoblaster on my MB's, it's way more versatile that way.

cpnyc23

"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

amz-fx

I like those blue caps in the first pic. What are they?

regards, Jack

bean

They look like some "multi-layered ceramics" I've seen before. I've never used them, but since they are blue I bet they are cool  :D

bluesdevil

Real cool to see the mini-booster brought to attention again. I've been meaning to put one together since I started building stuff, but just never got to it. Thanks for the tip on the JFET and teasing us with a swirl paint tutorial!! Looks better than the results I got when I tried a few using instructions from a guitar site a while ago.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

dta74

Nice looking pedal... be a shame to ruin that paint job by actually using the thing.

Couple hints regarding the swirl finish:  oil and water don't mix; oil floats on water; the actual technique may vary.

Another suggestion (which reminds me that I have to populate some more boards):  daisy chain 2 MBs together; max the volume knob on the 1st pedal (which overloads the circuitry of the 2nd pedal quite nicely); use the volume knob on the 2nd pedal for your output volume; roll off the tone knob on your guitar: nice creamy saturated almost-square wave (to my ears) fuzz tone!

Jack, what gauge wire do you recommend for your PCBs?  I hate having to drill out the pads to use the wire I have in stock...

Ben N

Quote from: dta74 on January 30, 2008, 09:18:08 PMAnother suggestion (which reminds me that I have to populate some more boards):  daisy chain 2 MBs together; max the volume knob on the 1st pedal (which overloads the circuitry of the 2nd pedal quite nicely); use the volume knob on the 2nd pedal for your output volume; roll off the tone knob on your guitar: nice creamy saturated almost-square wave (to my ears) fuzz tone!
Like this?
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/booster25.JPG
:D
  • SUPPORTER

amz-fx

Quote from: dta74 on January 30, 2008, 09:18:08 PM
Jack, what gauge wire do you recommend for your PCBs?  I hate having to drill out the pads to use the wire I have in stock...

I use the pre-bonded 24ga. from Small Bear but 22ga. should fit through the holes. There are pads on both the top and bottom of the holes for extra mechanical support, and the holes are plated-through.

Quote from: Ben N on January 30, 2008, 09:59:04 PM
Like this? http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/booster25.JPG

Hey, I like that design :icon_biggrin:  It was derived from the Mini-Tubes preamp on my CD, which is a jfet mini-booster amp-sim.   

regards, Jack

Caferacernoc

"Hey, I like that design   It was derived from the Mini-Tubes preamp on my CD, which is a jfet mini-booster amp-sim.   

regards, Jack"

And that design became Doug Hammonds Sweet Thing, which became the BSIAB, which became the ......

:-)