Here's one I just built, a "meathead" one knob fuzzer

Started by monkeyxx, April 27, 2011, 02:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyxx

Here's my latest build.  Quality is going up but it's still not perfect.  That would take decals and a little more care in offboard wiring and painting.  Anyway this thing sounds balls out nasty.  Like Led Zeppelin gone Sabbath or something.  I'm experimenting with transistors, currently there's an occasional sub-octave pitch shift (which is really cool) and at certain guitar settings sounds like an AM radio when picked very softly.  The decay is a little gate-y toward the end of a long sustain, but not really a big deal unless you're playing Doom maybe...but then, the feedback would probably sustain you to infinity.  Cool pedal recommended!

think I might give the Rouge Sound brother a try..

rockhorst

Actually like the graphics a lot. I was considering just getting a felt marker out for a box that's on my bench, but I chickened out...This makes me doubt again  ;D I know: I'll just make two!
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

monkeyxx

thanks!  the hand painted or drawn thing is what I do a lot of with my pedals.  I do like the vibe.  kind of homey like Z Vex or something.  I would, however, like to experiment with silk screening, printed graphics, swirls, etching, things like that, maybe even a stencil or two.  Getting some good ideas from the mega "pictures" thread

monkeyxx

I've updated the graphics a bit, and also experimented with transistors

the recommended 2N3904 provided a nice mid gain crisp distortion sound, pretty standard yet with good tone, but the Central 2N5306 gave a nice saturated over the top sound with lots of weird octavey synthy sounding overtones and strange decay that just makes me want to riff really hard and play crazy solos.  Needless to say that's the option I went with.  The 2N5089 was ok but unexciting.  maybe a little less bright than the 3904

blooze_man

You could add a 3PDT toggle to switch between transistors.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

monkeyxx

that is a brilliant idea (!), thank you.

might do that on this one or do a second with that option footswitchable