Started by 5thumbs, January 29, 2008, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondDog

Quote from: 5thumbs on March 20, 2008, 02:36:17 AM
Quote from: DiamondDog on March 19, 2008, 10:22:46 PM
Great work, Brett and Miqbal!

Thanks. :)

Quote from: DiamondDog on March 19, 2008, 10:22:46 PM
Can I make one suggestion regarding the 'straight' DS-1 layout, though. The way it is set up at the moment, you have to heat up a pretty substantial area of the gound poor to solder effectively, and when you do it's a messy result. If your design program allows it, it is easier if you have a solder pad in and isolated from the pour, which is then connected to that pour. Confused?

Well, a little confused.  When you refer to the 'straight' DS-1 layout, are you referring to the Stock DS-1 layout or the True-Bypass layout?  Muhammad designed the Stock DS-1 schematic and layout on Eagle CAD.  I did the True-Bypass DS-1 schematic and layout using Microsoft Visio 2007.

The traces in the Stock DS-1 layout are, on average, bigger than those on the True-Bypass DS-1 layout.  Muhammad tried to match the trace shape and size of the original BOSS traces as possible.  (You can reference a solder-side image of the BOSS PCB here: http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/overdrivespider/step03_05.jpg.)  One possible solution to excessive solder flow would be to apply a solder mask, as BOSS did with similar-sized traces on the post-1994 DS-1.

Sorry, "Stock" was the word I was lookign for, not "straight". I get confused at my age. Too many things in the 70s. No, I 'm not joking.

Muhammed mentioned somewhere else here on a DS-1 thread that he was having a bit of an issue with the soldering, and this could be why. It's not a matter of solder flow- it's a matter of trying to heat up the whole ground pour area.

If he's happy, then that's cool. Just thought I'd mention it.

It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

5thumbs

Howdy, everyone!

I added a new mod to the 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc.  It's called the VR-MIJ.  You can read about it when you download the latest version of the doc: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.

Here's the introductory text for the VR-MIJ:

"This mod started with Jack Orman's "Fat mod for the Boss DS-1" article. My initial tests with this mod resulted in an increase in perceived bass and mid frequencies, due to the cut in treble boost from this mod. I wasn't happy with it at first, as it reminded me of a fuzz pedal, which wasn't on my pedal "to do" list at the time.

So after thinking about it more over the next day, I wanted to try combining the Mondo-MIJ mods (minus the clipping network), Jack's "Fat mod" and MOSFET clippers in an attempt to increase the note articulation and cut the fuzz-like qualities of the pedal. I was VERY pleased with the result, which is why I'm presenting it to you here. Please meet the "VR-MIJ" Mod. (The "VR" stands for "Vintage Ripper", while "MIJ" shows that it's still part of the MIJ-Mod family in terms of other component replacements.)"
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

Jered

All I can say is WOW!! You guys did some stellar work. Very inspiring. Great work guys.
  Jered

5thumbs

Quote from: Jered on May 17, 2008, 06:19:01 PM
  All I can say is WOW!! You guys did some stellar work. Very inspiring. Great work guys.
  Jered

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.  Muhammad got the ball rolling by creating that exquisite stock DS-1 schematic and layout.  I got inspired by his work and did the true-bypass schem and layout.  Everything else came along in bits and pieces after that initial inspired outburst.
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

amessiah

Hey there. I'm thinking to build one too, TRUE-BYPASS DS-1 DISTORTION one, with mods. But original author email not exist already... And in pdf is picture of layout, while i need a layout file, to order pcb... Maybe anybody have one? Ty