Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groovenut

Hey all!

Here's one I'll lead off with. It's a Klone. I kept reworking the layout until I got the self noise lower than the original and figured that was good enough. Someone asked me about using the MLCC and how it affected the tone. I can measure no appreciable difference and I defenitely dont hear or feel one. Kind of hard to tell from the pics, but the top is polished and the graphics are acid etched.

More to come

http://lawrencepetrossdesign.weebly.com/newsblog/lpd-solaris-mini-finished

Thanks,

Law
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

deadastronaut

^ nice build..

love the flush dc socket too.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

noobamp

nothing like the smell of hot Bovie in the morning....

Caboverde

Wow, guys! These are seriously some awesome builds :)

Groovenut, what did you use to drill the hole for the flush DC jack?!

Just prepped the enclosure today...holes and labeling. Still have the nightmare of wiring to look forward to  -_-

By any chance does anyone know how Fairfield blackens the lettering on his pedals? I've tried shoe polish and sharpie to no avail.

Groovenut

^ very nice build! sooooo many controls! I cant wait to see the guts all done up :)

For the DC jack I drill it just undersize and use a file  :icon_eek: I have been working on a jig so I can mill it, but that's a whole other can of worms because of the jack location and the interior boss locations... the good news is I'm good and fast with a file  :icon_mrgreen:
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

alanp

Quote from: Caboverde on March 12, 2015, 05:53:44 PM
By any chance does anyone know how Fairfield blackens the lettering on his pedals? I've tried shoe polish and sharpie to no avail.

Don't know what Fairfield does, but Indian Ink worked well for me when I did a bit of engraving once.

Luke51411

I like the stamped enclosure look! And those knobs are great, I just used them an a build, they just look pro.

Caboverde

Quote from: alanp on March 12, 2015, 09:01:03 PM
Quote from: Caboverde on March 12, 2015, 05:53:44 PM

Don't know what Fairfield does, but Indian Ink worked well for me when I did a bit of engraving once.

Thanks for the suggestion! Did you just wipe off the excess or is there some special procedure for cleaning it up?

Grovenut: Im seriously dreading the whole wiring ordeal...Im still at the "painting-by-numbers" phase with pedal building. Drill and measuring is easy enough, but all the circuitry/wiring is still a big mystery to me. Right now Im just following a very and some notes I took for the mods. Crossing my fingers that they work the first time through...I REALLY don't relish the thought of troubleshooting.

Luke: Where did you buy these knobs? I love em, but I borrowed them from my Iron Ether Sub-T pedal, not from a store.

alanp

Just wipe it off. I used a fine brush to paint it into my engraving.

italianguy63

Law-- that looks great!  Glad to see that project has worked out for you.  That is a nice piece of engineering!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Pettol

maxkracht

I wouldn't want to play tetris against anyone on this forum. You guys are insanely good.  This is my first attempt at something with more than one transistor in a 1590a.  Big muff with a sloppy screen print. 

Caboverde

Maxkracht, that looks awesome! Great job, and nice enclosure--I really like the cookies-n-creme finish  8)

To ALL:
I've hit a small snag with my build and I'm hoping someone here can help me. As I've said before, I'm at the "painting by numbers" level of building at the moment, so my level of knowledge of how everything works together is fairly low. I've figuratively run into a wall with the treble-cut switch. My notes show that the capacitors connect to the outer posts of the switch and then to ground, but the notes do not show where the middle post of the switch connects to. I'll include a pic of what I have if it helps. I'm guessing it should ho somewhere on the volume pot or output jack, but I'm totally clueless. Help, pretty please  ???

maxkracht

Thanks Caboverde!  What are you building?  I could probably help if I knew what circuit you were working off of.  Or you could poke around with that switch and some alligator clips and try stuff out until you find what you like.  You shouldn't hurt anything that way.  You can use that switch setup to trade between any two parts you like.  Swapping out different values for input and/or output caps is a pretty easy way to change the overall EQ.

Caboverde

I'm building an overdrive pedal for use on bass (Greedtone) and wanted to mod it with an added treble cut switch. I also have a bass boost switch, but I know that it goes with the input cap. However, this one has me stumped.

Unfortunately, I can't really try to find the spot after everything is wired in because Im using some ptp wiring along with the vero board. Everything fits inside a bit like a puzzle and will be a bit difficult to take apart once I do find where the switch should be connected :/  But I'll try it, if that's my only hope.

maxkracht

Unless you have a definitive schematic for what you want to do, you are going to have to experiment to see what you like.  A simple low-pass filter is just a resister in series with the audio path and a capacitor to ground. You could put one in a few places in that circuit that would work, but all of them will sound different.  Try stuff out on a breadboard, that's half the fun. 

Caboverde

I hear you bro! I should have bought a breadboard and fooled around on that first before trying to just throw everything together. I'll see what I come up with...keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to show a working pedal by next week!

noobamp

do you have any pics of your notes/schematics? or of a similar build?
nothing like the smell of hot Bovie in the morning....

Caboverde

Yes...and no. Either way I think I'm up the creek without a paddle here. The notes I have are a drawing I made of the insides of a very similar pedal, with indications of how it was wired--well at least what I could see. This is why I was missing the connection for the middle post of this switch. As far a schematics go, I still have to learn how to do that. I have a vero of the pedal that I'm building, but this was provided through the "request" thread on this forum, so I have no idea how to convert it back to a schematic.