Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricDruid

Quote from: mtk on October 25, 2020, 07:19:10 AM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 24, 2020, 07:27:00 PM
While that does look fantastic, the two different woods sets my OCD off. And if they were the same, I'd feel like I needed to line the grains up, so I'd only have one setting!

I'd better stick to paint and plastic knobs, right?!?

lol Damn, that's some sensitive OCD level. Are all your pedals symmetrical?

While I was mostly joking, yes, all my pedals are symmetrical. And all my resistors are soldered in the same way around, too ;)

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 25, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
And all my resistors are soldered in the same way around, too ;)
I always orient my resistors the same way. Vertical resistors have the first value band towards the "top side". Horizontal resistors usually have the first value band towards the left side, but sometimes I put them towards the right side (but then all resistors have the same orientation). Standing resistors have this same orientation, and when there are multiple standing resistors all of them have the same terminal raised. I use ceramics for any caps up to 100nF, and I put all of them with the value code facing the same direction, I pick a random direction when I put in the first cap and the other ones follows the same orientation.

But I usually don't bother too much on wire colors.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

davent

Quote from: bluebunny on October 25, 2020, 12:34:07 PM

Also guilty.

Really ticks me off when i mess one up, where was my head...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

duck_arse

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on October 25, 2020, 05:15:14 PM
I always orient my resistors the same way. Vertical resistors have the first value band towards the "top side". Horizontal resistors usually have the first value band towards the left side, but sometimes I put them towards the right side (but then all resistors have the same orientation). Standing resistors have this same orientation, and when there are multiple standing resistors all of them have the same terminal raised. I use ceramics for any caps up to 100nF, and I put all of them with the value code facing the same direction, I pick a random direction when I put in the first cap and the other ones follows the same orientation.

But I usually don't bother too much on wire colors.

"standing resistors"? what madness is this in ocd land? as for caps, I always face that dilemma of having a value obscured if all are faced same direction.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

amptramp

I am also guilty of installing capacitors that do not use colour bands in an orientation where I can read the value and voltage markings.  This makes it easy to figure out what you did later and in fact is part of a MIL handbook:

http://everyspec.com/MIL-HDBK/MIL-HDBK-0300-0499/MIL-HDBK-454_9165/

which is Standard general Requirements for Electronic Equipment.  This book is worth a read to see how the big boys do reliable and maintainable manufacturing.

kraal

Also guilty... But I also try to use components that all have the same color  :icon_redface:

Current build in progress (still have to clean the PCB and to drill the enclosure.) Unfortunately there is ONE dark blue electrolytic cap, and I have to admit that the 3PDT toggle switch on the other side of the board is red...  :icon_sad:

bluebunny

Quote from: kraal on October 26, 2020, 11:50:09 AM
. . . and I have to admit that the 3PDT toggle switch on the other side of the board is red...  :icon_sad:

Fix that: nail varnish.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: duck_arse on October 26, 2020, 08:58:40 AM
"standing resistors"? what madness is this in ocd land? as for caps, I always face that dilemma of having a value obscured if all are faced same direction.
For caps, I had that dilemma and tried to put all them with visible values. But then I did some build that had like 3 caps in parallel (layout-wise), and any way the value of one of them had to be obscured.

The "standing resistors thing", as much as I try to avoid (also I try to avoid jumpers), are sometimes needed. I'm a 1590A guy, so sometimes this is the only way to fit them. Well, there's the smd way, but I'm not ready for that. My last build (still have to box it, that's why I didn't posted here yet, but it's a Theremin Fuzz from Parasite Effects) have three resistors on the copper side, but I think this isn't enough to trigger my ocd. The one I'm building rn, on the other hand, have a resistor in diagonal direction, which is getting me pissed >:(. But it was that or some giant jumper.

Also guilty... But I also try to use components that all have the same color  :icon_redface:
For stuff that uses film caps, I'm guilty.

davent

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on October 26, 2020, 05:02:41 PM
. The one I'm building rn, on the other hand, have a resistor in diagonal direction, which is getting me pissed >:(. But it was that or some giant jumper.

For stuff that uses film caps, I'm guilty.

Could some creative lead bending, not have at least kept the body parallel to the other components on the pcb, some insulation & camo paint on the leads, you could photoshop the offending leads out before you post a picture, no one will ever know...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Perrow

Throwing stones at standing resistors is a brave thing to do in the 1590A thread.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

ElectricDruid

That looks absolutely stunning. The aesthetics of it speak to the level of care that went into it.

kraal

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 26, 2020, 07:12:29 PM
That looks absolutely stunning. The aesthetics of it speak to the level of care that went into it.

Thank you for this nice comment.  :)

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: davent on October 26, 2020, 06:47:57 PM
Could some creative lead bending, not have at least kept the body parallel to the other components on the pcb
Now you made me think about to remove that resistor and replace it with a new one with some lead bending but so the resistor itself it's in parallel to other resistors :icon_mrgreen:

duck_arse

Quote from: Perrow on October 26, 2020, 06:49:29 PM
Throwing stones at standing resistors is a brave thing to do in the 1590A thread.

hmmm, yes, I realise 1590A is small, but OCD is OCD and rules are rules.

rule number one, don't build in 1590A-sized boxes.
rule number two, no standing resistors.
rule number three, no parts slanty-mounted.

11-90-an

Quote from: duck_arse on October 27, 2020, 09:19:36 AM
Quote from: Perrow on October 26, 2020, 06:49:29 PM

hmmm, yes, I realise 1590A is small, but OCD is OCD and rules are rules.

I think I managed to disobey all of them on one layout... :icon_lol:

Don't build in 1590A-sized boxes? In the 1590A pedals thread!?!  :icon_eek:
flip flop flip flop flip

ElectricDruid

Here Duck, let me help you with the rules:

rule number one, don't build in 1590A-sized boxes, unless you're crazy (You are)
rule number two, no standing resistors, unless you really have to (You do)
rule number three, no parts slanty-mounted, unless you missed the holes you meant to put it in (You probably will sooner or later)

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: duck_arse on October 27, 2020, 09:19:36 AM
What about when you have to use wires to connect something "offboard" but that was supposed to be "onboard"? Like a eletrolytic cap that doesn't fit the space on the board, or a trimpot that ended up in the in/out plug's way because you did a bad job when planning parts' positions?

duck_arse

them's is the rules. I never said youse needs follow them, did I?