Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 25, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
While I was mostly joking, yes, all my pedals are symmetrical.
Clipping, too?
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

I'm waiting for 1590A cordwood.  It would mean all resistors standing, by definition.  I don't use 1590A enclosures because I'm not a masochist.  Slanted components help you find your way around the board.

One of my favourite quotes came from a colleague (who had a PhD in physics and an MBA): "If you can't fix it, feature it."

lars-musik

I have to share this. Falling back into old obsessions I wanted an all-mini Board. This is the collection I got and I think, it'll do.

BB Preamp, Varioboost, Pareidolia, The Depth, Decimator G, Clari(not), Ghost Echo, Klon, Electricdruid Tap Tremolo, Mark Hammer AEFEA, Gator, Orange Squeezer and a boost.

duck_arse

Quote from: amptramp on October 28, 2020, 07:00:53 AM
I'm waiting for 1590A cordwood.  It would mean all resistors standing, by definition.  I don't use 1590A enclosures because I'm not a masochist.  Slanted components help you find your way around the board.

One of my favourite quotes came from a colleague (who had a PhD in physics and an MBA): "If you can't fix it, feature it."

previously shown Ustinov's Theory, in a home-made 1590-A-ish sized box. stacked boards, very cordwoodish.
don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

I'm waiting for 1590A cordwood.  It would mean all resistors standing, by definition.

Hang on a minute.  DA is "Captain Cordwood".   ???   Surely there's a mahoosive contradiction here??   :o
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: duck_arse on October 28, 2020, 01:34:18 AM
them's is the rules. I never said youse needs follow them, did I?
We already break rule #1 :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: lars-musik on October 28, 2020, 09:32:58 AM
I have to share this. Falling back into old obsessions I wanted an all-mini Board. This is the collection I got and I think, it'll do.
Awesome!

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on October 28, 2020, 10:12:47 AM
I'm waiting for 1590A cordwood.  It would mean all resistors standing, by definition.

Hang on a minute.  DA is "Captain Cordwood".   ???   Surely there's a mahoosive contradiction here??   :o

two points here, Marc - I always send my cordwood layouts to a guy to check, and he never mentioned any errors on this one - and - resistors laying flat are anchored and supported both ends; resistors strung between the two boards are anchored and supported at each end. same diff.
don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

Your cordwood layouts are a thing of beauty, Captain.  Just gently tugging at one of your hip<->floor interface modules.  :icon_wink:

BTW, we need a different word.  "Layout" is wrong when everything is standing up.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Got to finish this one on halloween, but lots of beers were scheduled for the weekend :icon_lol: and just now I got time for a photo.

This one is Parasit Studio Theremin Fuzz. It's been some time since I wanted to build it, I had some trouble with the layout before, but this time it went kinda nice and quick. It's a very funny pedal to play with. It can mimic some whammy-ish sounds based on playing dynamics.

11-90-an

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on November 03, 2020, 09:30:23 PM
Got to finish this one on halloween, but lots of beers were scheduled for the weekend :icon_lol: and just now I got time for a photo.

This one is Parasit Studio Theremin Fuzz. It's been some time since I wanted to build it, I had some trouble with the layout before, but this time it went kinda nice and quick. It's a very funny pedal to play with. It can mimic some whammy-ish sounds based on playing dynamics.

looks good, i've always loved the sound from the demos (thanks @Freppo!)
Can I see the layout you used?:icon_redface: :icon_redface:
flip flop flip flop flip

Marcos - Munky

Sure! This is the one I made:

I had to put a jumper (red wire) running under one of the ICs and a resistor. The other two thin lines are also jumpers, bigger ones that run under more stuff. The three resistors under the ICs were mounted on the copper side. Not my beautiest layout, but sometimes we have to do these kind of stuff to fit circuits inside a 1590A. And it worked, that's what matters.

I didn't made a pdf out of it, but I can share the files (or maybe make a pdf) if you want to give it a try.

11-90-an

Thanks Marcos!  ;D ;D ;D

since I can't etch, I'm just probably gonna make a perf layout for it...  :icon_lol:
thanks but the pdf prolly won't be needed for me, unless somebody else out there wants...

Thanks again!  :icon_biggrin:
flip flop flip flop flip

Marcos - Munky

Ah got it. I tried to adapt it to perfboard. It's a bit bigger, but it'll still fit a 1590A. All parts number are the same as Freepo's pdf, so you can use that partslist (I removed the values so the image will be cleaner). The resistor near the top IC (which is IC1) is R4. R3, R5 and R6 are mounted on the solder side. The jumpers in yellow and red can be put on the solder side or on top side under the ICs. Those T200K pads are for the trimpot. And now, looking at the layout, I think it's a better idea to move the ground pad on the right side to closer to the out pad, and also move the "blend2" pad closer to "blend1" pad. Hope it helps you.

rutabaga bob

Marcos: here's what I came up with off your layout design.  Not verified yet.  Managed to get the under-board resistors back on top and dump a couple of linking wires.  Part numbers match Freppo's schematic.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmYx4KG3/ther-fuzz1-51pic.gif

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Marcos - Munky

Larry, I took a look at your redesign, and it's supposed to work. I mean, all connections are there, and since mine is verified and you just moved a few stuff around then yours should work. You just mislabelled two resistors (R13 and R15 are reversed), but it doesn't matter anyway since they have the same value.

It's a fun circuit, but just an opinion. If I had to build it again, I'd remove the octave switch and hard wire it to the octave up mode. This is where the fun is, imo. The blend knob is interesting to keep.

11-90-an

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on November 10, 2020, 06:10:37 AM
Larry, I took a look at your redesign, and it's supposed to work. I mean, all connections are there, and since mine is verified and you just moved a few stuff around then yours should work. You just mislabelled two resistors (R13 and R15 are reversed), but it doesn't matter anyway since they have the same value.

It's a fun circuit, but just an opinion. If I had to build it again, I'd remove the octave switch and hard wire it to the octave up mode. This is where the fun is, imo. The blend knob is interesting to keep.

have you tried the 2 octave up mod? if you did, how did it sound (like usable, or something..). Freppo mentioned that mod in the build doc.
flip flop flip flop flip

Marcos - Munky

I didn't tried it. On/on/on switches are pretty rare here, at least the local stores doesn't have them, so I just skipped this mod.

Marcos - Munky

Last one I finished. It's Alex's (CynicalMan) Dimension P chorus with one/two voices and dry off mods. I started with this layout and modded it a bit so it fits a 1590A. It was a tight fit, I had to add some jumpers over the board, 2 resistors mounted on copper side and 4 or 5 caps hanging on wires because they were too tall to fit under switches/pots. Unfortunally I forgot to take a photo of the board itself and I don't want to open it again :icon_lol:.

bluebunny

Very neat build, Marcos.  And completely infeasible.   ;D   I have yet another Dim-P in the pipeline (#4) destined for an altogether larger enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Thanks, Marc! It was indeed a hard one to box, but it wasn't hard to build because I started with a verified layout that was just a bit bigger than needed. Still, I think this was the biggest build I did on a 1590A.

This is indeed a very nice chorus, an awesome choice if you can't get a BBD for a chorus.