Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

Another prototype showed up yesterday... got it populated, and it is super cool.

'67 Dallas Arbiter PNP Fuzz Face (positive ground) for 1590A.

Unfortunately, I have to go to NC in a couple days to bring my mom back to her winter house in FL.  So, I won't be able to complete this for a couple of weeks. 

I still need to figure out some artwork, and make an enclosure to box it.

I'll post pics when I get back to it.

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bluebunny

Aw! Those look real cute!  Can't wait to see the eventual build.  Have a good trip in the meantime.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

Quote from: bluebunny on September 06, 2018, 01:40:03 PM
Aw! Those look real cute!  Can't wait to see the eventual build.  Have a good trip in the meantime.

Thanks... the tranny's stacked on top of the other components perfectly.. should be just enough clearance.  Looking forward to finishing one!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

lars-musik

Usually, I measure to the best of my ability and have to do some heavy filing and generous application of JB Weld putty as a result.

This time, I feel there are no millimeters to give away and not much room for estimates.
So I thought I might try to do it right once...

This is going to be a Tom's Tapflo Tremolo in a 1590a.

italianguy63

I noticed you use the "Lumberg" style jacks... I don't have any experience with them.  I just use opposed "open" Nuetrik jacks...

Can anyone chime in about the pluses or minuses of the "Lumberg" style?  I also don't know of a inexpensive supplier in the US....  ??

MC

lars-musik

I like them, because they are very small. And with a plate sander, you'll even manage to scrape of some crucial tenth of millimeters without compromising the stability. Unfortunately I have no idea where to get them in America but the Type is"Lumberg KLBM 3".

slashandburn

I also like the lumberg jacks. As Lars says, make sure you get the right type. These are both mono Lumberg jacks I bought from different suppliers without paying attention to the part number.  Both good quality parts but you'll notice the one on the left is a lot larger.

italianguy63

Quote from: diffeq on September 07, 2018, 11:43:52 AM
Mark, BLMS seems to have them: https://lovemyswitches.com/1-4-mono-jack-lumberg-klbm-3/

I saw that.. I have to make a BLMS order from Larry.. as I need some 3PDT washers.  But, they are still a bit more expensive than the Nuetrik jacks... But, I will try some.

EDIT:  It is only LMS now.. Larry too has fallen victim to PC.  I need to stock up on surplus BLMS stickers while he still has them.

Thank you!
MC

ElectricDruid

Quote from: lars-musik on September 07, 2018, 05:05:52 AM
This is going to be a Tom's Tapflo Tremolo in a 1590a.

Cool! And also ambitious!

I get the rotary switch (waveform selection, right?) but what does the toggle switch do?

lars-musik

Hi Tom,

once more and first and foremost: Thanks for your designs and the sharing of them. This is really priceless!!!

The toggle (nice of you to ask, because I am not sure I got it completely right) should eplace the multiplier potentiometer with an ON-OFF-ON Toggle that gives me the regular, half and double speed. In the datasheet, you've shown the possibility to use a rotary switch instead of the potentiometer, so in order to understand how the resistor values have to be distributed, jerry-rigged this:

So it seems, that 25K:55K (+5V to 0V) gives half speed, 35K:45K normal and 55K:22K double speed. I wired the switch like this

And hope it'll work!

By the way: I already put one of your Trems in a 1590a. Just with less features.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com

ElectricDruid

Quote from: lars-musik on September 07, 2018, 02:23:11 PM
Hi Tom,

once more and first and foremost: Thanks for your designs and the sharing of them. This is really priceless!!!

The toggle (nice of you to ask, because I am not sure I got it completely right) should eplace the multiplier potentiometer with an ON-OFF-ON Toggle that gives me the regular, half and double speed. In the datasheet, you've shown the possibility to use a rotary switch instead of the potentiometer, so in order to understand how the resistor values have to be distributed, jerry-rigged this:
<snip>

So it seems, that 25K:55K (+5V to 0V) gives half speed, 35K:45K normal and 55K:22K double speed. I wired the switch like this
<snip>

One thing jumps out - the multipliers are the wrong way up - they start at 0V with x0.5, and go up from there to x4 at the higher voltage.
I *think* your solution looks overcomplicated, but I didn't really understand it - you've used a DPDT with a centre off? The important stuff for you is all on page 9 and 10 of the datasheet, and on page 10 there's an example of exactly this (x0.5/x1/x2 range switch):

(Although seeing that now, I'm confused - it looks like I got the multipliers the wrong way up too - check that).

HTH,
Tom

Marcos - Munky

14th build of 2018: Dod FX25 envelope filter. I really liked this one, it's fun to play with it. It was supposed to have purple knobs, but I accidentally ordered pink ones instead of purple ones. So I've ended up with black knobs for this build.

lars-musik

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 08, 2018, 06:12:33 PM

(Although seeing that now, I'm confused - it looks like I got the multipliers the wrong way up too - check that).

HTH,
Tom

OH DEAR!!!!! I never realised that was what you meant with the "Range Switch". It's indeed a bit embarassing, because that's exactly what I was looking for......

Marcos - Munky

15th build of 2018. Pink Jimi Photon's Photon Phuzz. It was supposed to get purple knobs too, but I put the pink ones at least for now. For the artwork, I used a picture of another Jimi and painted in pink, in reference to Pink Jimi :icon_lol:. It's a fuzz with a little bit of overdrive according to the bias setting. Goes from a sweet and fat drive to a little splatty (but not too much) fuzz. And it sounds amazing with the harmonica!

bluebunny

Nice lens flare.  Kinda like a purple haze...

(I'll get my coat...)
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

16th build of 2018. Lastgasp Art Laboratories Rattle Crow. I remember this one got some interest back in time, but then it was kinda forgotten. Reverse etch based on the original artwork.

Marcos - Munky

17th build of 2018: Ugly Face, by Tim Escobedo. The sound of this one is just amazing.

bluebunny

That is quite some factory you're running there, Marcos!   :D   Nice builds.  Aren't all the 1590As driving you nuts?
  • SUPPORTER