Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

Quote from: rankot on April 03, 2020, 09:28:20 AM
OK, I admit, I'm sometimes stupid! I forgot to solder ground from the PCB to the input jacks, and this thing worked somehow, but was very noisy! Now when another wire is in place (the brown one going from PCB to the jack), everything's fine, no noise at all, just pure DISTORTION! Love it!

what's this you say rankot - a build can be fixed by adding a ground wire? well, I never.

nice yellow.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rankot

Quote from: duck_arse on April 03, 2020, 10:41:16 AM

what's this you say rankot - a build can be fixed by adding a ground wire? well, I never.

nice yellow.

I could call it Yellows?  8)

It's regular Tayda yellow. For some time I buy enclosures only from them, for two reasons: the paint is great, and shipping is reasonable. I used to buy unpainted ones from Aliexpress, but it's really hard to paint them and be satisfied with the result, it's too time consuming and the price difference is negligible. So all qudos to Tayda. Only once they shipped enclosures which were not completely dry before packed, so that protective foil left circular marks on them, but it was gone after one additional layer of gloss spray.

I also figured out that those jacks are really great for 1590A builds, they are really small and I like them more then open type.

And this is another one for today: PhatPhuk. Already built this one, but that one went as a gift to my brother, so I needed one for myself. I tried this build with a switch so output transistor can be Ge or Si (not too much difference, honestly) and I moved bias trim outside, so it became a regular pot (470 Ohm instead of 2k2). Also replaced stock 10k emitter resistor to 22k, which gave me better range control for bias pot.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

I've been building pedals for more than five years, and this is the first fuzz I built! NPN Ge fuzz built on a PCB that I designed to be used in a bigger enclosure, but then decided to put it into 1590A I had at hand, so I had to desolder 3PDT and wire it internally. Works fine!

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

Me again! This time, Harmonic Percolator. Interesting pedal, but it seems that it doesn't have enough gain - volume pot is not so usable and if Fuzz is at less than half, the gain seems to be under unity. However, I like this one, I will wash the PCB with isopropyl alcohol in the morning and put screw the lid. If anyone has an idea how to increase the gain, I'm all ears.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

Hey, am I the only one stuck to 1590A enclosures?  :icon_biggrin:

Electra distortion with a simple tone control.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

Wow, you surely didn't took a break at all lol.

Nice builds, all of them!

bluebunny

Quote from: rankot on April 22, 2020, 09:07:02 AM

Yep!  ;D

I've got a couple on the go, so I'll join you soon.  More nice builds, btw!   8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

rankot

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on April 22, 2020, 11:06:28 AM
Wow, you surely didn't took a break at all lol.

Nice builds, all of them!

Well, I had some of those PCBs populated and tested year ago, but never enough time to make enclosures :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

EBK

I really really really wanted to build this in a comfortable 1590B, but it was designed for a 1590A, and I didn't have any 1590Bs available.

Circuit is a SchuTone Meathook, which is Llama/Platypus-based.  Knobs are labeled with TP brands sold in the US: Charmin, Cottonelle, and Quilted Northern.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ElectricDruid

Is that a uP-controlled relay-bypass we see in there on top of everything?

Cripes!

EBK

Quote from: ElectricDruid on April 24, 2020, 07:26:58 PM

Cripes!
Yes.  Fancy stuff.  :icon_cool:
I got the board for free from Dan Schumaker (Schu-Tone).  I was expecting to have to wire it old-school, but he threw in a pre-programmed chip and steered me toward the proper relay to order, so I had to give it a try.  It made the offboard wiring easier.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Here's the EE Fuzz mentioned in the "what was your first pedal?" thread.

So this is the second one of these I've built, forty-two years after the first lamentable attempt!
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bluebunny on April 25, 2020, 12:38:42 PM
So this is the second one of these I've built, forty-two years after the first lamentable attempt!

Excellent work!

On that basis, I should build a 741 fuzzbox and a Maplin Autowah, just for grins!

patrick398

Quote from: EBK on April 24, 2020, 09:09:43 PM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on April 24, 2020, 07:26:58 PM

Cripes!
Yes.  Fancy stuff.  :icon_cool:
I got the board for free from Dan Schumaker (Schu-Tone).  I was expecting to have to wire it old-school, but he threw in a pre-programmed chip and steered me toward the proper relay to order, so I had to give it a try.  It made the offboard wiring easier.

Been looking into using microcontroller to trigger a relay. I'm using a 555 flip flop at the moment but have just had my first taste of PICs and am hungry for more

rankot

Vulcan OD. For more info find appropriate thread :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

mtk

Operation Cram a Mountainking Megalith into a 1590A-tall was a complete success. No room to spare.  I had to get creative and move stuff around but it fired right up. So much heavy from a tiny box. I'm going back to regular size pedals for a bit now. lol This was fun and all but damn it was a pain in the ass at times. The Megalith is my current doom pedal obsession.

Marcos - Munky

Nice and tight build, mtk!
Quote from: mtk on July 03, 2020, 11:45:03 AM
I'm going back to regular size pedals for a bit now. lol This was fun and all but damn it was a pain in the ass at times.
I know how it feels. But soon you'll be back to 1590A :icon_twisted:

And, to reply to Rankot:
I ordered 5 1590A from Aliexpress. Also, I have one at home that's already etched and drilled, just waiting for me to etch and build the circuit board (yeah, seems strange to start with the enclosure, but it was a 2 board circuit that ended up not fitting the 1590A and I had to redesign the layout, just lazy to etch the board). I don't really need anything on my pedalboard rn, so no clue on what I'll be building (but for the one that I've already started). But hope to go along with you on this topic soon.

bluebunny

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 03, 2020, 03:05:18 PM

It's kinda like childbirth (so I'm told): it freakin' hurts - like 46 on a scale of 1 to 10 - and you swear blind you'll never do it ever, ever again.  But your brain dilutes the memory of the unspeakable pain and you do it again regardless.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER

mtk

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 03, 2020, 03:05:18 PM
Nice and tight build, mtk!
Quote from: mtk on July 03, 2020, 11:45:03 AM
I'm going back to regular size pedals for a bit now. lol This was fun and all but damn it was a pain in the ass at times.

thomasha

Finally finished the astrosim+a clean preamp in a box.
This one only has a headphone output for late night playing or BBD debugging
( my wife hates the high pitched sound that leaks through the delay when I'm testing new filters)