Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solderman

Quote from: Fuzz Aldryn on January 26, 2009, 11:12:42 AM
Did already posted it in the picture thread but I thought this would be the right place to show off again (self-irony intended):D
guts:

Hi
Absolutely it definitely fits here. You do not have to be ironic, this is a really top nudge job.

What type of chemical did you use for the etch??

//Solderman 
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Fuzz Aldryn

Thanks for you kind words! Before I'm gonna answer your question I have to tell you that I realy admire your A enclosure works. For the etching work I just use plain, undeluted ferric chlorid. Look for the enclosure etching tutorial of markm in the layout galery. That's the way I do my work, except for some minor changes due to some practical issues. First of all I do not use PnP blue, as I'm european (as you are too as far as I know) and it's hard to get it here (and at least there's no use to take that effort). That's why I use the toner transfer methode, printing with a lp on cheap catalogue pages. The next substution I do is that I don't cover the rest of the enclosure with paint but with masking tape you normaly use for painting(or better to cover the parts you don't want to be painted)  e.g. in your flat. That's all!
Hope this was somekind of helpful for you!

Ha det bra!
Helge

Rocket Roll

"Goin' down where Southern cross' the Dog"

solderman

Quote from: Fuzz Aldryn on January 27, 2009, 08:41:37 AM
Thanks for you kind words! Before I'm gonna answer your question I have to tell you that I really admire your A enclosure works. For the etching work I just use plain, undeluted ferric chlorid. Look for the enclosure etching tutorial of markm in the layout galery. That's the way I do my work, except for some minor changes due to some practical issues. First of all I do not use PnP blue, as I'm european (as you are too as far as I know) and it's hard to get it here (and at least there's no use to take that effort). That's why I use the toner transfer methode, printing with a lp on cheap catalogue pages. The next substution I do is that I don't cover the rest of the enclosure with paint but with masking tape you normaly use for painting(or better to cover the parts you don't want to be painted)  e.g. in your flat. That's all!
Hope this was somekind of helpful for you!

Ha det bra!
Helge

Thanks, encouraging to hear. But I have yet to learn the noble art of etching. Thx for the tutorial. Here by the way is a compilation of pictures of my 1590A project so far. When I started I aimed to make a pedalboard with what you would normally encounter on a pedalboard. I narrowed the "need to have" effects down to 5 to shrink to 1590A size. It was

• A booster/OD
  • A Compressor
  • A Distortion
  • A Tremolo
  • A Delay
The list sort of self extracted with a Pase shifter and a two more distortions (i couldn't really chose with one i liked most)

The effects are
Upper row from left:

• The Mini Man, A tweaked AMZ MOSFET booster with FET:s and the choice of MOSFET/NO/Si diodes Clipping.
  • Little Read roaster, A EA tweaked tremolo
  • Small Talk, The Fullton OCD clone with omitted tone controll and switch allways on HP
  • The MXR Phase 45 all stock as from Tonepad (I happen to have a 70:s original and it sound just the same.)
Lower row
  • Little Squeezer,  the Tonpad layout for the DOD 280 Compressor
  • The Red Hot Chili Pepper (The chili is yet to be painted on the box) is a Runnofgroove Double D with common VOL/Gain pots and channel switch.
  • The Wiper Z is a runnoffgroove Thor with the brightswitch allways on

The white gap is saved for the last one, the Copy Cat delay based on the Tonpad Rebote Delay 2.5 . Its allmost finished, the clear coat is drying and its (I am) waiting to put it together.

//Solderman

Tackar, kul med flera landsmän i forumet  ;D
Anders

www.soldersound.com

Fuzz Aldryn

Hej,

Nej, jag kommer från tyskland. So, excuse I do speak only a little swedish, though my name is Helge.;):D
Go ahead, it's no magic etching enclusre. You only need a few cheap materials and some patience. By the way the Thor is one of my alltime favourite pedals, so I would love to put it into a A enclosure as you did to save some space for some other projects on my board. But I leave always th bottom switch on and anly do flick the bright switch from time to time. Should be possible to change that in your layout, don't it?

Regards
Helge

solderman

Quote from: Fuzz Aldryn on January 28, 2009, 07:13:28 PM
Hej,

Nej, jag kommer från tyskland. So, excuse I do speak only a little swedish, though my name is Helge.;):D
Go ahead, it's no magic etching enclusre. You only need a few cheap materials and some patience. By the way the Thor is one of my alltime favourite pedals, so I would love to put it into a A enclosure as you did to save some space for some other projects on my board. But I leave always th bottom switch on and anly do flick the bright switch from time to time. Should be possible to change that in your layout, don't it?

Regards
Helge

Hi OK, I see. I did sprache ein bichen Deutsch aber ich habe alles forgessen  :(
I'll try with eching next encloucher.
You will have no problem to hard wire the bass switch ON, I'll put the DIY layout creator file for the Thor on my site and you can use it if you want. I have plans to do the same my self since i have found that i don't use the bass switch but wold like to be able to switch the bright switch off on low gain.

//Solderman

www.soldersound.com

solderman

Hi
At last, its ready. The Copy Cat, A shrunken Tonepad Rebote Delay 2.5
Here are some pics from the build.

//Solderman

www.soldersound.com

Fuzz Aldryn

Quote from: solderman on January 29, 2009, 04:27:07 AM

Hi OK, I see. I did sprache ein bichen Deutsch aber ich habe alles forgessen  :(

//Solderman

Hej,

kein Problem.;) Glaube mir, mein Schwedisch lässt auch mehr als zu wünschen übrig.:D But that's not what's all about in here.;) As I mentioned before: Just another piece of an "a-enclosure-art".:)

Regards
Helge

flo

The "Copy Cat" is great, really snug fit!  very 8)

earthtonesaudio

solderman

Thx all for all kind words, Yes I must say that I am a littel bit proud of the Copy Cat my self.

But I wount rest my case, Yesterday I started to do a 1590A layout for John Hollis Zombie Chorus. I think it will fit. It's actually not that many components besides the 3 or 4 IC:s, depending on if I'm to use a 2 or 4x OP amp. Personally I don't like the Idea of having the LFO and in-out part on the same IC. Its bound to generate ticking in the signal path. The thing that is holding me back right now is the unhumanly high price on the MN3007.

My second project is a small 1W tube Amp. This is a spinn of idea that i picked up when I was reading stuff about tubes and voltage etc. when I was working  with the tube based Valve caster I did some time ago. It will look like and be the same size as the Zvex micro Amp boy insted of subminis I'm gonna use one 12AX7 in the preamp and one EL90 in the power amp. only volume controll and a switch for treble boost and one for Bass. its gonna be about 200V inside but fead with 12V DC.

//solderman   

www.soldersound.com

Chris S

Hey all love this thread, yet to build one of the enclosures myself. One of my favourite pedals is always the super simple loop pedal where you turn go through the chain of pedals or not. This got me thinking has any one though of making a simple loop pedal but where the in and out jacks are the 6.25mm regular jacks and the loop jacks and then jacks for every pedal on the board are the smaller 3.5mm jacks. I'm sure making 3.5mm patch cables is not beyond anyone here and it would give you heaps more room in the pedal.

Thanks!

flo

small jacks would save space but are not according to the "standard" which decreases its ease of use.

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

danielzink

Mini Phaser...

still have two more 1590 builds coming in the next couple of weeks...... :icon_biggrin:

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

flo

Nice clean Mini Phaze!  8)
Is that a transparent printed label on top?

danielzink

Quote from: flo on February 07, 2009, 07:50:57 PM
Nice clean Mini Phaze!  8)
Is that a transparent printed label on top?

Yep,

I've been doing my labels in Visio lately. Full face clear waterslide - then 2 coats of clear over it.

Dan

solderman

Quote from: Valoosj on February 04, 2009, 05:47:35 PM
Finally finished my phaser!

Hello Yorick, Thats a really good looking little box. i really like how yo have picked up the color of the knobs on the rest.
The ducktape isolation is spot on mean ;D

Is is a MXR P90??

Quote from: danielzink on February 07, 2009, 04:41:04 PM
Mini Phaser...

still have two more 1590 builds coming in the next couple of weeks...... :icon_biggrin:

Nice, I can see that you stick to the sparkly finish. I wold love to see the finished pedalboard with all the effects. I will shine like a new year fire works ;D.
Any gut shots??

What sort of phaser is it??

//Solderman 

www.soldersound.com