Dallas Rangemaster questions

Started by SorrowAblaze, September 19, 2003, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SorrowAblaze

I'm about to start building a Dallas Rangemaster clone, but I'm wondering a few things -

Will I be dissapointed if I use a silicon transistor with the right gain instead of germanium? I'm not really looking for the grind or distortion that the germ. would add ... I really just want the added brightness. Some distortion would be ok, but really I just want more precence for my dark amp.

Also, what should I expect if I use a linear pot instead of audio taper? It should have the same range, but the linear's sweep wouldn't be as drastic ... or am I missing something?

Thanks.

RDV

With the level knob at around 50% on a Ge rangemaster it basically performs as a treble booster without a lot of overall boost. You have to crank one up to get a lot of distortion. Into a completely clean amp, down low on the amp volume you're not going to get that much distortion IMHO.

A linear pot will give you almost all the resistance of the pot in the first half of it's range.

AMZ's Muffmaster is a good Si treble booster. It's in the projects section at AMZ.

AN LPB circuit can be made into a treble booster by reducing the in & output caps to taste. A good place for a basic LPB circuit is General Guitar Gadgets(he also sells PCBs).

HTH

RDV

bwanasonic

Quote from: SorrowAblazeI'm about to start building a Dallas Rangemaster clone, but I'm wondering a few things -

Will I be dissapointed if I use a silicon transistor with the right gain instead of germanium? I'm not really looking for the grind or distortion that the germ. would add ... I really just want the added brightness. Some distortion would be ok, but really I just want more precence for my dark amp...

The RM may not be what you are looking for then. I really think it's worth the extra few bucks to order a Ge transistor from smallbear if you really want to hear the *point* of the Rangemaster circuit. You may want to look at one of the EH LPB2 type circuits. Have you checked your tubes? :)

Kerry M

nightingale

i'll second the muffmaster from www.muzique.com i have a smallbear GE one, and the SI muffmaster. both are very nice in their own way.
hth,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com