AKM factory fire

Started by amz-fx, October 31, 2020, 02:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

The semiconductor maker AKM had a massive fire at its factory that essentially wiped it out.

How does this impact fx pedals? AKM audio codec chips are widely used in high-end digital effects pedals. The AK4556 is one such chip.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry

There is going to be a disruption in the supply chain of many of the bigger pedal companies that do not have stockpiles of AKM chips.

Best regards, Jack

willienillie

Less digital?  I'm okay with that.

Mark Hammer

I always look forward to your posts here, Jack.  This one, however, did not bring me joy.

iainpunk

at least no one got hurt during the fire.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Alright, 2020, we get it! You are pissed off. What's next? Zombie uprising? A meteorite impact with years of global winter? How a bout a global pandem... Oh. Wait. Right. Damn.

I really wonder what historians will have to say about this year in a few decades. 2021 will really have to step up if it's going to outdo 2020. That's it, I'm starting a Strategic Scotch Stockpile now.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

amz-fx

I pulled the back off an EHX Bass9 to look inside. As I recalled about the 9-series (which are all the same circuit) there was an AK4556VT chip next to the Analog Devices processor. I will post a shot of pedal guts in my Instagram.

I hope EHX has a stockpile of these chips or the 9-series may be in short supply for a while.

regards, Jack

Rob Strand

I wish them luck getting the factory back up and running but it's not going to happen over night.   The article mentions outsourcing to other FABs which is probably a good move but it takes time getting all the test systems in place and verified.   Companies like AKM have people who can make that happen.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

anotherjim

AKM converters have been standard in pro and semipro digital audio products for a long time. Others such as Crystal more known for cheap consumer converters have actually caught up, but it seems the MI industry prefer what they know.
So that digital mixer, that multitracker, that soundcard, that ADAT preamp, that digital synth... the list goes on.

11-90-an

Quote from: Fancy Lime on October 31, 2020, 05:17:41 PM
Alright, 2020, we get it! You are pissed off. What's next? Zombie uprising? A meteorite impact with years of global winter? How a bout a global pandem... Oh. Wait. Right. Damn.

I really wonder what historians will have to say about this year in a few decades. 2021 will really have to step up if it's going to outdo 2020. That's it, I'm starting a Strategic Scotch Stockpile now.

Andy

I feel sorry for the schoolboys 5,10 years from now that would have to memorize all the catastrophies in 2020...
flip flop flip flop flip

Mark Hammer

Quote from: amz-fx on October 31, 2020, 05:52:01 PM
I pulled the back off an EHX Bass9 to look inside. As I recalled about the 9-series (which are all the same circuit) there was an AK4556VT chip next to the Analog Devices processor. I will post a shot of pedal guts in my Instagram.

I hope EHX has a stockpile of these chips or the 9-series may be in short supply for a while.

regards, Jack
Well if Mike Matthews retained those habits formed when he was purposely shut out of Matsushita BBDs, thirty years back (which led to EHX trying to buy up the world's supply of MN3005 chips in order to keep the Memory Man line going), then EHX may be in decent shape.  On the other hand, with so many of their products having migrated to the digital domain, I wonder how much beyond the 9-series might be compromised.  I'm sure EHX have decent inventory, but that inventory only stretches so far when so much of one's ever-expanding catalog is digital.

High hopes for the employees, and fingers crossed for the pedal industry.

PRR

> memorize all the catastrophies in 2020...

This is not the first in this field. March? there was a fire in a DRAM plant. What, are they washing tools with ether while smoking crack? There are other DRAM plants so that was a blip not a panic. But apparently "ALL" the "GOOD" (studio grade) DA/AD chips were coming from AKM. There are other brands more in the consumer-products class. (Which frankly could include 90+% of pedals, where price is more important than 33-bit rosin-sound.)

> so much of one's ever-expanding catalog is digital.

Have you heard the word? Digital is out of style. All the hep-cats have switched to reissues with the newly groovy ANALOG sound! Which will be massively available (at new fire-prices) real soon (soon as we schlep all these half-built digi-products to storage and train workers about parts with only 3 legs).
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

QuoteAlright, 2020, we get it! You are pissed off. What's next? Zombie uprising? A meteorite impact with years of global winter? How a bout a global pandem... Oh. Wait. Right. Damn

Ya, could be one more in the USA on Tuesday that will have an effect not just here but the whole planet earth. Could be the biggest catrasophy ever.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 31, 2020, 04:14:11 PM
I always look forward to your posts here, Jack.  This one, however, did not bring me joy.

Absolutely Mark, I hope nobody was hurt. Sad also that folks will probably lose their jobs.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Phend
Could be the biggest catrasophy ever.
Way to jinx it, man! You know that that's what the dinosaurs said said about the new Cretaceous Park road weight restrictions, right? Massive meteor strike in 3, 2, 1...

I'm so getting drunk alone in my bathtub on New Years. Oh wait, I have to comfort the dog, who's still afraid of fireworks. Dang.
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Phend

Not to worry, long way to 2525....

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

willienillie

8)