Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

The purple and gold was my first one, then i did the orange and black. The orange and black i actually didn't thin anything out, seem to have an easier time getting hard lines that way.

it actually is VERY orange, not yellow, but the color on the camera is being screwy :(

jayp5150

Barcode, those are both stinkin' awesome!

I meant to say it in my last post, but every pedal on this post is pretty freaking sweet.

Man, when I get my tax return, I'm going parts shopping lol. I'm down to one enclosure...  :icon_eek:

GREEN FUZ

I like they way you`ve done the switches pravudh. Was it difficult to achieve?

This thread is going to need its own forum soon. Dragonfly has created a monster. :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Here's my second try. I'm not that happy with it but it's close to what I wanted.
A little too jaged and chaotic. Getting that organic liquid swirl is tough, for me at least. Granted this is my second try..

Here's my first attempt (no clear coat) . A little too Jackson Pollack for me... Very chaotic!

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Barcode80

i found most of my chaotic ones (i tried on some cardboard first) came from too much toothpick dragging. food for thought, less is more and all that.

culturejam

Quote from: John Lyons on February 15, 2008, 07:24:35 PM
Here's my first attempt (no clear coat) . A little too Jackson Pollack for me... Very chaotic!

I love this one!

Actually, instead of Pollack, it reminds me of Escher (only a little less ordered). 

Damn I need some acrylic paint!  ;D

greigoroth

If you cross your eyes and stare at this pedal for a while you will see a 3D image of Hendrix... :icon_biggrin:
Quote from: John Lyons on February 15, 2008, 07:24:35 PM

Built: GGG Green Ringer

pravudh

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on February 15, 2008, 03:07:21 PM
I like they way you`ve done the switches pravudh. Was it difficult to achieve?

This thread is going to need its own forum soon. Dragonfly has created a monster. :icon_lol:
it easy  :icon_rolleyes:

Alex C

Quote from: greigoroth on February 16, 2008, 06:43:28 AMIf you cross your eyes and stare at this pedal for a while you will see a 3D image of Hendrix... :icon_biggrin:

I see it!

John Lyons

Oh my god! That's the funniest thing? That hendrix outline is classic, and you can see the face if you squint even without the outline.
I actually washed off the paint from that first try, maybe I could have sold that one on ebay!
To think, hendrix's spirit channelled though me onto the pedal enclosure...and I washed it off..."oh the humanity..."

Yeah, I "over-picked" both of those I think. It's hard to leave it alone and know when to stop.
I need to use more paint as well. The frugal trait in me does not work here.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ambulancevoice

Quote from: pravudh on February 15, 2008, 03:02:33 PM
I just try it. :icon_razz:
Thanks   

my favourite so far

Quote from: culturejam on February 16, 2008, 02:11:59 AM
I love this one!

Actually, instead of Pollack, it reminds me of Escher (only a little less ordered). 

Damn I need some acrylic paint!  ;D

Escher????? really??? Escher???
you have seen M.C.'s work right????
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

tranceracer

Dragonfly

One of these is going to Marc Ford...not sure which one yet though. The copper is HARD to get a good photo of....

Oh...and it looks like other builders are adopting this method.. :)

Very cool.

FUZZBOXWORLD SHIN EI

FUZZBOXWORLD TONEBENDER

;)

cheeb

Quote from: pravudh on February 15, 2008, 03:02:33 PM
I just try it. :icon_razz:
Thanks   

I really like those switches! And the way the paint ran makes the enclosure look round. Very cool.

amz-fx

There are some great looking submissions in this thread. Good work!

I discovered that it takes at least some minimal amount of artistic talent to use this method... which makes me feel inadequate.  Here is my first attempt with the acrylic paints:

I first sprayed the box with a coat of Duplicolor etching primer to give a good foundation for the paint. Let it dry thoroughly.

I did not thin the paint as much as Andy suggested and used the end of craft stick (like a thin popsicle stick) to push the paint around.

I used hot glue to make the stand on which the pedal parts are resting. One craft stick on edge glued to a second wooden stick flat as a base.

regards, Jack

John Lyons

I think that looks pretty good Jack. It is hard to get away from the wispy swirl and get a nice flowing swirl. Yours is better than my first...

I use tin food cans as a base for holding enclosures up. No tape/glue/popsicle sticks need apply.

My two have a pretty bumpy surface that is needing a LOT of top coat. How about everyone else? So far I have 3 THICK coats of brush on poly!

Dragonfly:
Those look killer! Nice work I dig the copper/black one. Knobs on the top/back side?
Why is it that the bottom plates always turn out better than the top? (not your's per se) Murphy's law?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

foxfire

Quote from: John Lyons on February 17, 2008, 08:51:56 PM
I think that looks pretty good Jack. It is hard to get away from the wispy swirl and get a nice flowing swirl. Yours is better than my first...

I use tin food cans as a base for holding enclosures up. No tape/glue/popsicle sticks need apply.

My two have a pretty bumpy surface that is needing a LOT of top coat. How about everyone else? So far I have 3 THICK coats of brush on poly!

Dragonfly:
Those look killer! Nice work I dig the copper/black one. Knobs on the top/back side?
Why is it that the bottom plates always turn out better than the top? (not your's per se) Murphy's law?

John

i used 1 1/2 cans of clear on my first swirl pedal. i did a second one yesterday and let it sit overnight. then i sprayed it with a coat or 2 of krylon matte finish today cause it's all i got and it dries pretty quick. i painted this one before i drilled it so all i wanted was enough clear on it so i could handle it. well when i took off the masking tape i also took off most of the paint. oh well. thought about keeping for awhile but, figured i could use the practice.