Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxfire

Quote from: 8mileshigh on February 27, 2008, 10:52:45 AM
Thanks for the compliments ! My son and I had a blast trying this.  I showed him the tutorial first, then we tried it and got a real kick out of it.  He has wanted to make a complete pedal for some time now but I fear we'll burn himself with the soldering iron.  Anyway, the next enclosure will be 100% his choice of colors, he's going solo. 

Chris

Nice! how old is he if you don't mind me asking?

gutsofgold

Has anyone come across a dark blue acrylic with sparkles in it? Two hobby stores and a Michaels don't stock anything close to it around me!

I'm almost ready to spray the box with regular dupli-color and then add my swirl colors over that, could be a cool effect if the acrylic sticks to the enamel  ??? .

8mileshigh

Hey Foxfire,

He's 9.  He has his own Squire Strat with a little Vox Pathfinder amp.  He's into the Beatles these days, I still like my Cream.  Life is good. 

Chris

[/quote]

Nice! how old is he if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

foxfire

9's a good age to find out what how hot hot is. it'll help him to build up his pain threshold like Chuck Norris.

Dark Fader

Thought I might as well post these in the thread that inspired it!

Thanks again Andy, this would still be unfinished if it wasn't for your tutorial.

chris_d

Quote from: Dark Fader on February 27, 2008, 02:24:32 PM

Thanks again Andy, this would still be unfinished if it wasn't for your tutorial.

That looks totally fantastic. That swirl looks ace on a big enclosure. I wouldn't have thought that to be the case, but that looks great!

-chris

Dark Fader

Quote from: chris_d on February 27, 2008, 02:34:43 PM

That looks totally fantastic. That swirl looks ace on a big enclosure. I wouldn't have thought that to be the case, but that looks great!

-chris

Thanks Chris, it took a bit of doing on a big enclosure for sure. Next time I'll try something smaller!

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: ambulancevoice on February 27, 2008, 03:55:58 AM
eh @#$% it, who cares

You cared enough to attempt to correct my use of the word Nihilism. Seems you don`t have the courage to stand behind your convictions.

Quotei dont wanna get into a big discussion on what nihilism is

There`s no big discussion, you`re clearly out of your depth.

Quotebut you do get a better answer from real nihilist rather than some guy who writes for wikipedia

What makes you believe that? The self-styled real nihilist is merely proferring an opinion when he says "A common, but misleading, description of nihilism is the 'belief in nothing'." You seem to have taken this as some sort of avowal of your tenets concerning Madcap.

Quotesoo! swirls eh??? hows that going?
Just Peachy. Carry on. ;)

Dragonfly

Wow ! That looks amazing !   :o

jefe

Quote from: foxfire on February 27, 2008, 02:23:48 PM
9's a good age to find out what how hot hot is. it'll help him to build up his pain threshold like Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris has never felt pain. Pain feels Chuck Norris.

;)

SteveB

Quote from: gutsofgold on February 27, 2008, 01:03:16 PM
Has anyone come across a dark blue acrylic with sparkles in it? Two hobby stores and a Michaels don't stock anything close to it around me!

I'm almost ready to spray the box with regular dupli-color and then add my swirl colors over that, could be a cool effect if the acrylic sticks to the enamel  ??? .

There are a few acrylic pearls out there, but maybe not metallics. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, checkout Createx paints or Testor's Acryl. They are more expensive than the Anitas & some other craft paint.
http://www.createxcolors.com/airbrush2.htm

Another thing to try would be to mix pearl powder or metallic particles into transparent blue. http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/

ambulancevoice

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on February 27, 2008, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: ambulancevoice on February 27, 2008, 03:55:58 AM
eh @#$% it, who cares

You cared enough to attempt to correct my use of the word Nihilism. Seems you don`t have the courage to stand behind your convictions.

There`s no big discussion, you`re clearly out of your depth.

Quotebut you do get a better answer from real nihilist rather than some guy who writes for wikipedia

What makes you believe that? The self-styled real nihilist is merely proferring an opinion when he says "A common, but misleading, description of nihilism is the 'belief in nothing'." You seem to have taken this as some sort of avowal of your tenets concerning Madcap.

are you insulting me? and why are still going on about this? who @#$%ing cares anymore
courage is bullshit, but i do have the capacity to stand behind my convictions, just that ive done it so much that im over doing it
and what he (Freydis) says his not his "opinion", Freydis is an educator, not some random guy who has opinions
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

dxm1

Oh boy! A totally OT topic, just the thing to derail a cool thread about Andy's technique. You guys mind taking this to the Lounge?

GREEN FUZ

Oh boy! A totally OT topic, just the thing to derail a cool thread about Andy's technique. You guys mind taking this to the Lounge?

You`re absolutely right.
The combination of Ambulancevoices` half-baked arguments plus swirly paint jobs is giving me Migraine anyway. :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

Quote from: dxm1 on February 28, 2008, 12:51:25 AM

Actually, taking this to PM's would be better.

greigoroth

How hard is the finish once all is said and done? Would swirls stand up to some gigging? (I don't say abuse because I think one should be a little careful with gear)
Built: GGG Green Ringer

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

matchless

greigoroth - the swirl pedals I made seem very durable - but time will tell.  I would definitely say that my the finish is significantly more durable than even my best spraypaint attempts, if that helps.

The French connection

Hi! Here's my beginner boost project and my first time with swirl...i'm not a virgin anymore! The photoresistors are for two expression jacks (Inspired by Devi Ever PEEP) that control my Boss PS-3 (cool whammy pitch shift delay effects) and my dynamic filter (FT-2: not quite ''wahing'' but nice hi/low ''quenching''). Gus Booster inside. The Leds have changed between photoshoot.

Thanks Dragonfly for the technics.

P.S. Personnaly, i don't beleive in Nihilism  ;).
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

Timebutt

Nice pedal you have there.
Just out of curiousity: why place your stompswitch so close to the knob? Better pay attention when you want to rock out and hit the switch hard ;)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90