Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The French connection

Quote from: Timebutt on February 28, 2008, 03:08:21 PM
Nice pedal you have there.
Just out of curiousity: why place your stompswitch so close to the knob? Better pay attention when you want to rock out and hit the switch hard ;)

Thanks! You're right but i've realised it once the hole were made, it's my lack of experiences. So i'll play live with my cozy bunny slippers...it should look well on stage! ;D
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

frank

Salut Dan,

This raspberry cheesecake looks really good.  Can I take a piece? I mean the one with the strawberry on the top?
I made my way downstairs. The stairs lead the way down onto the...street. They lead all the way up too, of course, saves me having two stairways. -Chic Murray

aron

Processaurus

Idea for ye swirlers:  Don't know if this has been tried, but what about swirling two paints, both the same color, but one is glossy gloss and one is matte?

lesmondo

Long time lurker, first time poster....

Here's my first attempt at some swirly goodness - a GGG tubescreamer. I thought since I'd done the "expensive boutique mods", I should have a go at an expensive boutique paint job. Not too shabby for a first go I think, not perfect but I'm happy with it.

Lessons for next time: don't stir the paint so hard - you get bubbles (in the dark green), go easy on the clear coat (sags on the side)...

shredgd

Quote from: lesmondo on May 04, 2008, 08:56:35 AM

Here's my first attempt at some swirly goodness - a GGG tubescreamer. I thought since I'd done the "expensive boutique mods", I should have a go at an expensive boutique paint job. Not too shabby for a first go I think, not perfect but I'm happy with it.

Lessons for next time: don't stir the paint so hard - you get bubbles (in the dark green), go easy on the clear coat (sags on the side)...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

Wagster

I just built a BYOC Mouse to MO'D specs and thought I'd try my first attempt at painting.Next time I'll let the paint run more down the sides and do less swirls .I'm pretty happy for my 1st attempt.I wasn't able to capture the true colors with my camera.

Click to view larger pic   http://swirlfinish.blogspot.com/

Wagster

Quote from: lesmondo on May 04, 2008, 08:56:35 AM

That looks amazing.Great job!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Wagster on May 26, 2008, 12:27:40 PM
I just built a BYOC Mouse to MO'D specs and thought I'd try my first attempt at painting.Next time I'll let the paint run more down the sides and do less swirls .I'm pretty happy for my 1st attempt.I wasn't able to capture the true colors with my camera.

Larger pic  http://bp3.blogger.com/_HkIGcOw9saI/SDrmUp2tmmI/AAAAAAAAADE/dFDysAJPozY/s1600/Swirled.jpg

LOOKS GREAT !

The link to the larger pic isnt working for me though....

Wagster

ambulancevoice

awsome
looks like you printed out a famous painting and glued it on your pedal
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

foxfire

Quote from: ambulancevoice on May 26, 2008, 05:39:03 PM

awsome
looks like you printed out a famous painting and glued it on your pedal

i see a ghostly witches face in the blackish smear to the right of the switch hole. nice job, rylan

Wagster

Thanks but that witch thang is starting to freak me out  :icon_eek:

Dragonfly

Quote from: Wagster on May 26, 2008, 07:23:38 PM
Thanks but that witch thang is starting to freak me out  :icon_eek:

Just because your pedal is possessed by the ghost of a long dead witch.....

just kidding !  :D

Monotremata

No pic yet but I just finished my first one couple weeks ago.. GGG Fuzz Face with a nifty black/purple/teal puke mixture on the case..
Was pretty damn impressed at the 'swirling' process and I cant wait to put more together just so I can paint em (already started bugging every guitar player I know 'Hey do you need some new pedals??')..

Now my question.. What are you guys using for your clear coat??? I saw it mentioned here on the forum somewhere or other so I picked up the Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish at the local Michaels.. After probably 5 or 6 sprays (nothing heavy, light spraying everytime, given about an hour to dry each time before the next), and two days of drying..
I go to the studio pick up my pedal, and jabbed my fingernail into it which yep, left a nice big dent in my finish. Stuff is like rubber almost and I bet if I really wanted to I could probably peel it all off and paint the whole pedal over..

Granted I didnt do any sanding in between clear coats, just let it dry and put the next coat on.. This was all done at my studio so just air drying involved.. Since this was just my first kit, I think for the next one Ill be investing in a nice thrift store toaster oven and such..

So what the heck are you guys using to finish off yours??? Im tempted to redo the whole thing anyways cause I kinda screwed up the sides so lets hear some suggestions!!

Wagster

Monotremata

Ahh yeah Ive seen that before in his tutorial but Im one of them impatient folks who got his kit and wanted it done RIGHT THEN AND THERE hehehe.
Had to go to Michaels, I actually cant even think of where a decent hobby store would be where Im at.

It looks like that Krylon Low Odor Clear stuff I used is actually latex.. Which makes sense why I can still jab my fingernails into it and leave marks..
Maybe Ill just redo the whole thing but Ive already taken all the guts out twice and that thing is a PAIN to get off the posts holding it in the case hehe.

Guess its just time to call it a 'history lesson' and build me a new and improved one!!

Oh and with some actual Krylon ACRYLIC clear coat too hehe..
Hmm maybe I can find some fetish model that will let me cover her with the can of latex I got!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Wagster

Dragonfly