Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Focalized

I'm thinking the smoother the box, the better the paint goes over the sides? I see it get stuck sometimes and have to push it over the edge. This ruins the look of a smooth flow.

Again thanks for sharing this. It's much more fun than spray painting.

Zedmin_fx

sfx

Quote from: suregork on July 06, 2008, 11:27:42 AM
Here is my newest swirl:

Not very happy about the results, but think it looks ok..

More info here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg553633#msg553633

Where did you get those particular knobs and LED holders from if you don't me asking? :)

sfx

Dragonfly

Really nice work guys... I dig the simplicity of Focalized' "greenish" one... and Zeds latest looks really cool !  Nice colors on Suregorks...would benefit from some sanding and clear coats, but the "artistic design" looks great !

This one I just did is pretty cool "so far".... I still have final sanding and buffing to do in a few days, but it should turn out really nice looking.

GREEN FUZ

:o You`re getting good at this. :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on July 07, 2008, 03:39:05 PM
:o You`re getting good at this. :icon_lol:

Here's another that I just sold... (well...it gets paid for in a couple days... ;) )

GREEN FUZ

Seriously, these are a million miles removed from the one`s (good as they are) you posted at the start of this thread. They demonstrate very clearly how much work you have put into experimenting with and refining the technique. Now I just have to figure out how you did it. ;D

PurpleStrat

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 07, 2008, 03:35:35 PM
Really nice work guys... I dig the simplicity of Focalized' "greenish" one... and Zeds latest looks really cool !  Nice colors on Suregorks...would benefit from some sanding and clear coats, but the "artistic design" looks great !

This one I just did is pretty cool "so far".... I still have final sanding and buffing to do in a few days, but it should turn out really nice looking.

You really have made an art of this!

Zedmin_fx

Dragonfly

Quote from: Zedmin_fx on July 07, 2008, 10:41:21 PM
Hey Andy do you sand your pedals befor clear coat?

only if they need it...so usually not. Most of the time the color coat comes out nice and flat.

ambulancevoice

Andy, i swear, if you got some aluminum sheets and did swirl paintings on them, and sold them, youd be an artist in no time!!!
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dragonfly

Quote from: ambulancevoice on July 07, 2008, 10:58:50 PM
Andy, i swear, if you got some aluminum sheets and did swirl paintings on them, and sold them, youd be an artist in no time!!!

I'm actually thinking about doing some on canvas...just for the heck of it !  :)

gutsofgold

I was going to say, I've tried countless swirls and they never come out looking like Dragonfly's. There's some artistic mojo going into his!

Hey Andy, btw, you have a personal message.  ;D

suregork

Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

Zedmin_fx

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 07, 2008, 10:45:07 PM

only if they need it...so usually not. Most of the time the color coat comes out nice and flat.

OK  Iwill keep that in mind I wana clear coat mine it just got so friggin humid so I cant right now, friggin stupid weather. Also the clearcoat on my 4 inch round (red and black) got a little cloudy do you have any idea why that is? I put a few more coats on and it went away mostly. I am using krylon Crystal clear stuff.

foxfire

Quote from: Zedmin_fx on July 08, 2008, 08:15:33 AM
Quote from: Dragonfly on July 07, 2008, 10:45:07 PM

OK  Iwill keep that in mind I wana clear coat mine it just got so friggin humid so I cant right now, friggin stupid weather. Also the clearcoat on my 4 inch round (red and black) got a little cloudy do you have any idea why that is? I put a few more coats on and it went away mostly. I am using krylon Crystal clear stuff.

humidity trapped in the clear coat. most of the time it will go away though but, not always. rylan

Zedmin_fx

Ok yea then I am going to hold off clear coating them cus its way to friggin humid right now.

SteveB

Try holding it under a lamp right after spraying. It will heat up the air, & most moisture will evaporate before getting trapped in the clear. I've done it a quite few times with model cars. Or, you can hold it in the path of an AC vent. Anything that counteracts the mositure in the air should work.

Zedmin_fx

hmm how hot should the lamp be I think I have a spot light in the workshop that gets really hot!!

Focalized

BYOC ESV Fuzz. Paint only on top. Should try that again. Until I master that side technique.

Green Ringer. Pretty tame.

For BYOC Shreddmaster. I really want to try and get one that looks like flames. The bottom is worth showing. Looks like a different pedal, though. Also, trying to get a top like that with the bubbly look.

Purple beauty for unknown effect.