Author Topic: Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)  (Read 89306 times)

Auke Haarsma

Re: Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)
« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2008, 04:46:39 AM »
My swirl that got a bit out of hand (key learning point: know when to stop).

It used to be a real swirl...but I thought 'let's try this colour also.... and finally I ended up adding metallic spray paint (not water based at all...).

The texture is really rough, but I like it (and the guy I build this for too :) )

jayp5150

« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »

It used to be a real swirl...but I thought 'let's try this colour also.... and finally I ended up adding metallic spray paint (not water based at all...).

The texture is really rough, but I like it (and the guy I build this for too :) )

I dig that.

It looks like you just grabbed it out of a time capsule, or something.

Rough those switches up, too  ;)

I like the beat-up thing sometimes. Nice one.

dickwiewy

« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »
Nice "happy accident" patina.
It looks positively "off planet"! 8)

If the switch tops need to match;
Invert the switch heads in a shallow tray of muriatic acid
to take some of the gleamin' chrome down a notch.
Best to make a jig so those switches can't topple over first.

So you started w/ acrylic paint first, then introduced the metalic? What brand?

Is that how you got those rupturing bleebos to issue forth? The textures
remind me of this 2 volume set of Dermachromes I have. Positively
stomach churning.
But in the good way!
Manic dangers lie hidden in hobbies thatsimulate mental detachment, causing bookworm dementia when out-of-body psyche, when in a state of libidoless ectasy, trips the trigger that springs a parallel dimension nerd snare-Robt. Williams

Auke Haarsma

« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »
haha, thnx guys ;)

It started as a 'normal' one-colour spray-paint box. nice off-white. Really neat. Then I bought three colours of acrylic paint (green, yellow, blue). Just to try it once.

Applied the acrylic over the (dried) white-paint. The swirls were nice, really. But I everytime I saw some place which could be better. So I added some more paint...ruining the swirls I had (yeah, I learn by doing....). Then I just grabbed a red spray-paint, to see how it would react with the acrylic. What happens is that it eats away the acrylic. In a weird way. So I applied again some more acrylic. Then I let it dry for a couple of minutes.

Next I sprayed the gold/copper metallic paint from several angles in different spots. Finished it by baking it in the oven ;)

Here's another shot from the side, shows the texture a bit more:

deaconque

« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »

I LOVE IT!!  I'm going to have to do some experimenting now.  Great work.  BTW, what brand of paint was the mettalic copper?

suregork

« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
more swirls:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:03:45 AM by suregork »
Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

Focalized

« Reply #286 on: July 21, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
These are nice. GGG 808 and what will be some one knob fuzz. Maybe a Colorsound.

Dr.Pain

« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
Can someone please re-up or do a recap of the process for me because the original post does not have it anymore.  :icon_frown:
From what I understood you first do a coat of primer, then use a toothpick with slightly diluted acrylic paints and then use an acrylic based clearcoat. Right?  :icon_question:
Help me out please.  ;D Thanks.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Dr.Pain

« Reply #289 on: December 26, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
Thanks a bunch, duder!! Really appreciate that link there.  :D
I will try this out a bit later today and report back.

lightbulbjim

« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2009, 03:02:59 AM »
My first attempt at this. I used a white (enamel) basecoat which I scuffed up with some 220 grit sandpaper before laying down the acrylic. The clearcoat is also enamel, as that's what I had handy. It worked fine except for some lumps and bumps because I didn't do any level sanding. It's pretty rough and ready but it works.

Next time I'm going to try sticking to two complementary-but-not-prime colours, such as red/green or orange/blue and maybe a black or white for accent.

aballen

« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
I just did my first swirl job, me and my son, one each.  It was a fun project to do together.

I have a question though.  The acrylic paint I purchased was a bit thick, so the surface is not level... it is a but like Freddy Kruegers face honestly.  I would like to do a full face label, and then coat with envirotex though.  Is there anything I can do here?  I'm concerned a full face waterslide will not bond well due to the non level surface.

Oh and of course, pics.

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.

Ripdivot

« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
I would build the finish up with a clear coat of your choosing. Then sand it flat and apply your decal. Then apply more clear.

tony grazioso

« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »
shhwirly...what a weird word, huh???

tony grazioso

« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
ooops, so sorry, forgot one..hope ya like.

aballen

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
Those labels look great.   

I tried printing some similar ones, but once I applied the decal, the dark colors from my pedal showed through the label, making in quite illegible.. so I peeled it back off.. any ideas?

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.