Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

+1
the top swirl job looks damn good
reminds me of Saturn, volcanoes and marble :D

ill try this asap
just gotta find some acrylic paint!!!

oh and damn that iguana!!!!
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

mfergel

While doing things differently yields different results, I personally think the best bet is to spray the pedal with an undercoat of white or another lighter color.  It's going to make the colors pop out more than a dirty color, like the bare aluminum chassis.

Dragonfly

Quote from: mfergel on February 03, 2008, 06:45:12 AM
While doing things differently yields different results, I personally think the best bet is to spray the pedal with an undercoat of white or another lighter color.  It's going to make the colors pop out more than a dirty color, like the bare aluminum chassis.

Honestly, I haven't had any issues with colors not "popping out". :)

there are a couple problems with spraying, but they can be avoided...

1) you'll have to use spray acrylic...not an issue really, just something to be aware of. Mixing different types of paint generally leads to "undesirable" things...though occasionally the wrinkling, crackling, etc can be cool.

2) you need to make sure that you swirly the pedal while the base coat is still wet.

With the past few pedals , Ive been brushing on a base coat of whatever the primary color of the pedal is going to be as a first step to swirling. It has nothing to do with making the colors "pop out" for me...it has to do with making it easier to cover the bare metal on the sides. :)

sixstringphil

I tried this last night, and it looks awesome for a first try! I'll post some pics later. But I did encounter a few problems...

1) I used newspaper underneath instead of carboard, and the paint puddled up at the bottom, causing some of the newspaper to stick to the pedal. Next time, I'll use cardboard, and probably try to raise the pedal with something other than just toothpicks. My wife suggested a styrofoam cup hot-glued to the inside/bottom like I use when spraypainting...

2) The swirls didn't always smooth out. There was some thicker build-up. I'm sure the pain varies by brand, but even with the same brand, mine seemed to vary by color. Dark blue was MUCH thicker than the white. Also, I probably waited too long to get it under the lamp. Is a toater oven an option?

3) I couldn't get the paint to pour very well out of those little plastic containers you used. Any suggestions? I though some kind of dropper or syringe might be helpful.

Thanks again, dragonfly! If you or anyone else has any suggestions on the above, I'd love to hear them!

jmdfd415

I decided to try yesterday and im actually pretty happy with my first attemp.

I used a metallic blue and it really sticks out in person.

Dragonfly

Quote from: sixstringphil on February 03, 2008, 11:14:26 AM
I tried this last night, and it looks awesome for a first try! I'll post some pics later. But I did encounter a few problems...

1) I used newspaper underneath instead of carboard, and the paint puddled up at the bottom, causing some of the newspaper to stick to the pedal. Next time, I'll use cardboard, and probably try to raise the pedal with something other than just toothpicks. My wife suggested a styrofoam cup hot-glued to the inside/bottom like I use when spraypainting...

2) The swirls didn't always smooth out. There was some thicker build-up. I'm sure the pain varies by brand, but even with the same brand, mine seemed to vary by color. Dark blue was MUCH thicker than the white. Also, I probably waited too long to get it under the lamp. Is a toater oven an option?

3) I couldn't get the paint to pour very well out of those little plastic containers you used. Any suggestions? I though some kind of dropper or syringe might be helpful.

Thanks again, dragonfly! If you or anyone else has any suggestions on the above, I'd love to hear them!

You'll get how much water to thin things out with as you experiment more. I put it under the lamp IMMEDIATELY after I get the swirl done...dont know if that helps or not, but thats what I do :) A cup would work great for propping it up.

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmdfd415 on February 03, 2008, 11:19:02 AM
I decided to try yesterday and im actually pretty happy with my first attemp.

I used a metallic blue and it really sticks out in person.

AWESOME looking box !!!

(Hmm...maybe I should have kept this technique to myself ! Soon there will be all kinds of Soulkitchen "look-a-like pedals out there ! ;) )

Seriously though..I'm glad you guys are having success at this...its a LOT of fun, and the results are astonishingly good...plus you dont need Borax !  :D

jmdfd415

I followed the steps you gave except for the drying part.  I didnt have a light or anything so I actually just let it dry over night then put 5 coats of clear on it.

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmdfd415 on February 03, 2008, 11:45:57 AM
I followed the steps you gave except for the drying part.  I didnt have a light or anything so I actually just let it dry over night then put 5 coats of clear on it.

It looks super sweet !

culturejam

Thanks for sharing.

I'll have to say that your process is a whole lot easier looking than I thought it would be.

Now I'm off to the craft store to get some acrylic paint and clear coat!

moro

I tried a few enclosures last night. Unfortunately, it's raining here today so I can neither do the clearcoat or take pictures. :icon_neutral: I still haven't worked out the right amount of water, though. What brand are you guys using? I'm getting A LOT of bleeding between the colors, through capillary action, even with a very high paint to water ratio. It looks cool, but I'd like to be able to get that really crisp border between the colors as well.

Dragonfly

If you have a container.... 1/2 paint ...1/4 water ....so the container is 3/4 full...that seems to be about right for most colors, at least for the acrylic that I'm using. :)

jmdfd415

Ive noticed with a few colors that I have that some need less water than others.  I have containers and I add a little bit of water then shake it up and if its too runny just add a little more paint and shake it back up and check to see how runny it is.

moro

Quote from: sixstringphil on February 03, 2008, 11:14:26 AM

Cardboard tends to curl when it's wet. I used a sheet of clear acrylic that I had lying around. Foam core might work too.

Quote3) I couldn't get the paint to pour very well out of those little plastic containers you used. Any suggestions? I though some kind of dropper or syringe might be helpful.

Hold a toothpick vertically and touch it to the lip of the cup as you pour. The paint will flow down the toothpick instead of the side of the cup.

sixstringphil

Quote from: moro on February 03, 2008, 03:46:26 PM
Hold a toothpick vertically and touch it to the lip of the cup as you pour. The paint will flow down the toothpick instead of the side of the cup.
Brilliant! I'll try it tonight after the Super Bowl!

jmdfd415

I just repainted my big muff and im really excited about this one ill post some pics after it drys  :icon_biggrin:

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmdfd415 on February 03, 2008, 07:39:47 PM
I just repainted my big muff and im really excited about this one ill post some pics after it drys  :icon_biggrin:

I'm looking forward to seeing it !

dickwiewy

Quote from: jmdfd415 on February 03, 2008, 02:42:08 PM
Ive noticed with a few colors that I have that some need less water than others.  I have containers and I add a little bit of water then shake it up and if its too runny just add a little more paint and shake it back up and check to see how runny it is.
Just for encouragement, Luci of Lucibox told me she's spent the better part of a year getting the viscosity correct for her boxes. You know, painters[classical not house] do spend an awful long time perfecting their craft so expect a few "clown barf" boxes in your quest folks. :icon_cool:
Manic dangers lie hidden in hobbies thatsimulate mental detachment, causing bookworm dementia when out-of-body psyche, when in a state of libidoless ectasy, trips the trigger that springs a parallel dimension nerd snare-Robt. Williams

Barcode80

I've discovered that 4 q-tips with the cotton pulled off make great legs to stand the enclosure on when they are stuffed into the screwholes of the box.

mfergel

I do a lot of scale model building so I've tried a lot of different paint brands, techniques, etc.  If you guys plan on doing this on a regular basis, I made a holder for painting car bodies.  Take a piece of wood and drill four holes about the diameter of metal coat hangers into it that are just slightly smaller than the size of your boxes.  Drill the holes at a slight angle outward.  Then, take an old metal coat hanger (or two of them) and cut it into 4 equal lengths (about 3 to 4 inches) and bend small 90 degree hooks into the end of them.  Place the wires into the holes with the hook ends facing outwards.  You can now slip your box around the ends of the coat hangers and the bent ends will help it grip the inside of the box.  I'll try and take a picture later of the one that I made.

As far as mixing paint types, yeah, you have to be careful.  I've had really good luck with using Duplicolor clear over lacquer and acrylics (do not use it over enamels).  Just make sure to spray several light coats and not one heavy coat.

.....and sorry.  I don't want to make folks think I'm trying to come across as a know it all or anything.  Just trying to pass some info along of stuff I've learned.