Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tharifax

Hiya,

Thanks so much for posting the tutorial, it's an amazing finish :D

This is my first attempt:

I call it "purple haze" and yea it'll be a fuzz when i get some Ge trannies ;)
It came out pretty good, but its far from perfect.
In retrospect I think that i thinned the paint a bit too much (on the sides most of the swirls dripped down),
also i pretty much ruined the clearcoat, cause i had no idea how to use a spraycan properly.
One thing i wanted to ask. I had quite a few air-bubbles in the paint, which now show as the silver/white spots, any idea what i did wrong, or what to do better next time?

Thanks,
Wouter

moro

I posted before that I'm not getting any separation between the colors. This is how all mine turn out:

It's a nice effect, but I'd like to be able to do the swirls with harder edges.

Dragonfly

Thats cool :)  I actually dig that quite a bit !

Try experimenting with the thickness of the paint...thats the key to it IMO.

chris_d

Quote from: moro on February 09, 2008, 08:25:24 PM
I posted before that I'm not getting any separation between the colors. This is how all mine turn out:

I think that looks awesome.

If you don't like it though, i would say that you are using more water than you need, to thin the paint. I personally prefer it like that though.

Depending on the paint certain brands probably won't need any thinning at all to  make the swirl work. I have used various artist and monoprinting paints that are the right consistency right out of the jar/tube for this type of painting.

-chris

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

moro

Thanks, guys. That was my third attempt and I thought I'd gone pretty thick with the paint that time. I'll give it another go with even less water.

Dragonfly

Quote from: moro on February 10, 2008, 06:21:47 PM
Thanks, guys. That was my third attempt and I thought I'd gone pretty thick with the paint that time. I'll give it another go with even less water.

The good thing is that "if" you dont like the way the swirl is going, just rinse the box under a faucet and start over...acrylics will wash right off until they dry / you apply clear coat...

Still, I think that last one was cool  :icon_cool:

ambulancevoice

i realllllllyyyy like this one
perfect colours!
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dragonfly

Quote from: ambulancevoice on February 10, 2008, 07:13:29 PM

i realllllllyyyy like this one
perfect colours!

everyone but Moro thinks its badass !  :D

moro

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 10, 2008, 07:24:28 PM
everyone but Moro thinks its badass !  :D

Lol! No, I like it, I just want to be able to do it the other way as well.

Ripdivot

Here is my first attemp at a swirl job. The pedal is a modded 3 Legged Dog with a pre bass control on the front end and a Baxandall Tone Stack on the back end. It sounds great. The only issue with the finish is that I used Krylon Low Odour Clear Gloss to clear coat and it doesn't seem to get very hard (it's been a week!). What are you guys using for clear coat over the acrylic?

http://.us/my.php?image=97362617ct3.jpg][/img]

Dragonfly

Quote from: Ripdivot on February 11, 2008, 12:09:34 AM
Here is my first attemp at a swirl job. The pedal is a modded 3 Legged Dog with a pre bass control on the front end and a Baxandall Tone Stack on the back end. It sounds great. The only issue with the finish is that I used Krylon Low Odour Clear Gloss to clear coat and it doesn't seem to get very hard (it's been a week!). What are you guys using for clear coat over the acrylic?

Great job !

None of the acrylic clear coats Ive seen harden quickly...2-3 days is FAST for one...I'm using "Crafts Ect" stuff that I get at Hobby Lobby.

Ripdivot

Where do i find out a better way to post my pics? Sorry, I'm new to the forum thing...

chris_d

Quote from: Ripdivot on February 11, 2008, 12:13:28 AM
Where do i find out a better way to post my pics? Sorry, I'm new to the forum thing...

Do you mean how to not post a thumbnail, but the full picture? If that is what you mean, from Imageshack, just paste the web address in the box labeled "Direct" as opposed to the box for "Forums". Then the link will show full-sized.

-chris

chris_d

Quote from: Ripdivot on February 11, 2008, 01:30:15 AM
Thanks Chris, I'll try that next time.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2046/66108769me1.jpg

Just make sure you  post the link inside "img" tags or else it will not show as a photo but as a hotlink instead.

If you type this link as [ img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2046/66108769me1.jpg[/img] but without the space after the first bracket there, you get this:

-chris

Ripdivot

Thanks Chris, I think I get it now. I'll try again Later tonight. Really appreciate your help!

Jeff

Alex C

Quote from: Spikee12345678 on February 08, 2008, 11:34:28 AM
I also tried to do a swirlpaintjob and I must I'm very happy about the result :)
As you should be- that looks fantastic, and the colors work great together.  Welcome to the forum!

This is a great thread, Andy- thanks for sharing this.

On a side note, now I'm pretty sure I have a problem, because even with those amazing finishes, I find myself wanting to see shots of the insides!  :)

-Alex