Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB

Wow, really nice stuff!

Dragonfly, what brand of craft paint do you feel has the best pigment to thinness ratio?

Thanks,
Steve

Dragonfly

jmdfd415

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 12, 2008, 04:29:54 PM
Ive been using "Anitas" with good results.

same here ive also used some "folk art" brand and they seem pretty much the same the only thing different is the price.  oh and i went to hobby lobby today and they were having a sale on all their acrylic paints  :icon_biggrin:

Barcode80

i did a really good looking swirl of metallic gold and purple, pics soon, just waiting on clear to dry!

sixstringphil

Here's my final product. Learned from a few mistakes on this one, but still very happy with it. It's going to be the final home for my beginner project NPN Boost.

GravityRobert

soggybag

Great stuff. How do finish these, do you use a spray on clear coat?

dxm1

Quote from: jmdfd415 on February 12, 2008, 05:15:06 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on February 12, 2008, 04:29:54 PM
Ive been using "Anitas" with good results.

same here ive also used some "folk art" brand and they seem pretty much the same the only thing different is the price.  oh and i went to hobby lobby today and they were having a sale on all their acrylic paints  :icon_biggrin:

Anita's - 2 oz. for $0.50, 8 oz. for $1.50.

Shipping was $6.50 to CA, so a large order is better. This is about half of what I could find these two brands for locally (shipping included).

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/department.aspx?dep=50&cat=60&subcat=11&IsOnSale=0&IsFeatured=0&IsNew=0&perpage=30&pg=3

sixstringphil

I just used a Krylon crystal clear acrylic spray paint that was in the same section of Hobby Lobby as the acrylic colors. It had a different label that the normal cans of krylon that I've seen at WalMart, but I think it's possibly the same stuff. I started with a light coat, then several heavy coats and sanded in between with fine grades of sandpaper.  Because of some of the mistakes I made (like touching the swirl colors before they were completely dry) I had to use ALOT of clear to get it smooth and even. Then just a little turtle wax rubbing compound followed by a couple coats of car wax.

My colors were probably a little thin. I didn't get the separate color definition that dragonfly gets with his.  But I thought it turned out pretty good for a first run. I'll definately try some more of these.

greigoroth

Quote from: sixstringphil on February 13, 2008, 12:24:48 AM
Here's my final product. Learned from a few mistakes on this one, but still very happy with it. It's going to be the final home for my beginner project NPN Boost.

Holy crap!!!

That is the single best looking pedal I have ever seen.

DFly, you may look upon your apprentices and smile!
Built: GGG Green Ringer

greigoroth

Quote from: sixstringphil on February 13, 2008, 01:31:02 AM
I just used a Krylon crystal clear acrylic spray paint that was in the same section of Hobby Lobby as the acrylic colors. It had a different label that the normal cans of krylon that I've seen at WalMart, but I think it's possibly the same stuff. I started with a light coat, then several heavy coats and sanded in between with fine grades of sandpaper.  Because of some of the mistakes I made (like touching the swirl colors before they were completely dry) I had to use ALOT of clear to get it smooth and even. Then just a little turtle wax rubbing compound followed by a couple coats of car wax.

My colors were probably a little thin. I didn't get the separate color definition that dragonfly gets with his.  But I thought it turned out pretty good for a first run. I'll definately try some more of these.

Which grades of sandpaper did you use? I don't know if it is just the photo, but I think the lack of separation is what makes this pedal a total gem! What colours did you use exactly? I only ask because your pedal is so sweet I want to know every tiny detail!

BTW: I have been thinking about colour coding my pedals - something I've been thinking about for a while, but it would work even better with the swirls I reckon, so that you would get some variation.
Greens: Overdrive/Boost (I have been forever scarred by the association of green with TS9s)
Reds: Dist/Fuzz (red=angry=dist!)
Blues: Modulation effects (blue=watery/washy sounds)

Would make for a cool pedal board!
Built: GGG Green Ringer

jayp5150

Man, every one of these are outstanding... you guys have gotten to me.

I'm building a Sparkle Boost for my dad today, and I'm going to have to give this a shot.

Luckily, my wife's an artist--I've got a closet full of acrylic bwahahahahahahahahahah...

Sorry.

I'm cool now. I'll hit back with results today or tomorrow.

jayp5150

OK, I couldn't wait lol.

Here's my 1st attempt, still drying.

It's black, metallic silver sterling, and metallic aluminum.

Those little boogers/specks are from the metallic aluminum (the lighter silver) being too old, I think. It was way thick, and I just went with it, and thinned it out anyhow. I knew better, but it's cool.

Looks like marble even more now. I'll get finished pics up tomorrow or so.

Thanks so much to Dragonfly for sharing this technique. It's one of those things that's practically impossible to "screw up," but takes tons of practice to actually control, you know?

I'll try not to over-use it, D. lol

PS - yes, that is a Pizza Hut medium hand tossed pan... shhhh.  ;)

sixstringphil

Quote from: greigoroth on February 13, 2008, 07:29:51 AM
Which grades of sandpaper did you use? I don't know if it is just the photo, but I think the lack of separation is what makes this pedal a total gem! What colours did you use exactly? I only ask because your pedal is so sweet I want to know every tiny detail!
Once I started spryaing clear, I used 800 and then 1000 in between coats, but I put a good thick layer on last and didn't sand it. Getting it really smooth before the last coat of clear makes a HUGE difference!
For the colors, I bought an 8-pack of basic colors at hobby lobby. I used blue (can't remember the exact name, but I think it's the standard basic blue), white, and a 50/50 mix of blue/white. I also did a base coat of the mixed blue/white as recommended by Dragonfly.

Dragonfly

you guys are awesome !  BEAUTIFUL pedals.... you make me proud !  :D

Marcos - Munky

Wow, nice stuff. I made another one, but isn't anything near these cool enclosures :icon_mrgreen:. But I'm getting the point. It's drying from the first layer of clear coat right now, so I think I will be able to take a picture tomorrow only. How many layers of clear coat are you guys doing?

Dragonfly

sixstringphil

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 13, 2008, 03:31:28 PM
I went a different route with this one....satin !

Very nice. How does the satin look up close? I've got a can that I haven't used yet.
Also, do you mind sharing your source for those knobs?

John Lyons

Quote from: Dragonfly on February 13, 2008, 03:31:28 PM

That's my favorite one so far Andy! The others are great but I dig the earth tones.
I love those knobs as well. No swirl but here's one of mine with brown "cupcake" knobs.
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/