Swirl finishes, "Dragonfly style !" (56k warning for pictures !)

Started by Dragonfly, February 01, 2008, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

My swirl that got a bit out of hand (key learning point: know when to stop).

It used to be a real swirl...but I thought 'let's try this colour also.... and finally I ended up adding metallic spray paint (not water based at all...).

The texture is really rough, but I like it (and the guy I build this for too :) )

jayp5150

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on July 15, 2008, 04:46:39 AM

It used to be a real swirl...but I thought 'let's try this colour also.... and finally I ended up adding metallic spray paint (not water based at all...).

The texture is really rough, but I like it (and the guy I build this for too :) )

I dig that.

It looks like you just grabbed it out of a time capsule, or something.

Rough those switches up, too  ;)

I like the beat-up thing sometimes. Nice one.

dickwiewy

Nice "happy accident" patina.
It looks positively "off planet"! 8)

If the switch tops need to match;
Invert the switch heads in a shallow tray of muriatic acid
to take some of the gleamin' chrome down a notch.
Best to make a jig so those switches can't topple over first.

So you started w/ acrylic paint first, then introduced the metalic? What brand?

Is that how you got those rupturing bleebos to issue forth? The textures
remind me of this 2 volume set of Dermachromes I have. Positively
stomach churning.
But in the good way!
Manic dangers lie hidden in hobbies thatsimulate mental detachment, causing bookworm dementia when out-of-body psyche, when in a state of libidoless ectasy, trips the trigger that springs a parallel dimension nerd snare-Robt. Williams

Auke Haarsma

haha, thnx guys ;)

It started as a 'normal' one-colour spray-paint box. nice off-white. Really neat. Then I bought three colours of acrylic paint (green, yellow, blue). Just to try it once.

Applied the acrylic over the (dried) white-paint. The swirls were nice, really. But I everytime I saw some place which could be better. So I added some more paint...ruining the swirls I had (yeah, I learn by doing....). Then I just grabbed a red spray-paint, to see how it would react with the acrylic. What happens is that it eats away the acrylic. In a weird way. So I applied again some more acrylic. Then I let it dry for a couple of minutes.

Next I sprayed the gold/copper metallic paint from several angles in different spots. Finished it by baking it in the oven ;)

Here's another shot from the side, shows the texture a bit more:

deaconque

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on July 15, 2008, 04:46:39 AM

I LOVE IT!!  I'm going to have to do some experimenting now.  Great work.  BTW, what brand of paint was the mettalic copper?

suregork

more swirls:

Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

Focalized

These are nice. GGG 808 and what will be some one knob fuzz. Maybe a Colorsound.

Dr.Pain

Can someone please re-up or do a recap of the process for me because the original post does not have it anymore.  :icon_frown:
From what I understood you first do a coat of primer, then use a toothpick with slightly diluted acrylic paints and then use an acrylic based clearcoat. Right?  :icon_question:
Help me out please.  ;D Thanks.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Dr.Pain

Thanks a bunch, duder!! Really appreciate that link there.  :D
I will try this out a bit later today and report back.

lightbulbjim

My first attempt at this. I used a white (enamel) basecoat which I scuffed up with some 220 grit sandpaper before laying down the acrylic. The clearcoat is also enamel, as that's what I had handy. It worked fine except for some lumps and bumps because I didn't do any level sanding. It's pretty rough and ready but it works.

Next time I'm going to try sticking to two complementary-but-not-prime colours, such as red/green or orange/blue and maybe a black or white for accent.

aballen

I just did my first swirl job, me and my son, one each.  It was a fun project to do together.

I have a question though.  The acrylic paint I purchased was a bit thick, so the surface is not level... it is a but like Freddy Kruegers face honestly.  I would like to do a full face label, and then coat with envirotex though.  Is there anything I can do here?  I'm concerned a full face waterslide will not bond well due to the non level surface.

Oh and of course, pics.

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.

Ripdivot

I would build the finish up with a clear coat of your choosing. Then sand it flat and apply your decal. Then apply more clear.

tony grazioso

aballen

Those labels look great.   

I tried printing some similar ones, but once I applied the decal, the dark colors from my pedal showed through the label, making in quite illegible.. so I peeled it back off.. any ideas?

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.

bbr6704

I like to bring such old topics back to life...   :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, here's my first attempt to do some "dragonfly style" swirl!

Not exactly what I had in my mind (It was better to my taste before tilting the box), but I'm quite happy with it.

I made it with the help of my 5 yo daughter, and she was happy too!

I must just say I cheated with the gold : it was disapearing in the other colors, so I put some some minutes after, undiluted, so it could stand out.

To sum up, nice experience, I'll swirl again in the future!

Kevin Mitchell

That looks awesome!

I wish I knew about this thread 7 years ago!
Here's my first completed pedal build from December, 2014. Was on my first debug thread but all my old shared photos dropped. Luckily I still have them in a cloud!
I think it's kind of insane to think it was my first time soldering, 2nd attempt at etching & drilling a PCB and first and only paint swirl attempt. Talk about diving in head first  :icon_lol:

Double dipped EZ Vibe ;D

Edit:
Actually, I kind of recall this thread. Isn't "Dragonfly style" different from dipping? Since the OP photos are gone it's all kind of fuzzy to me.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

cab42

I think the photos are still there. They have just been moved:

https://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/TUTORIALS/HOWTO/

If you by dipping, means dipping the enclosure in a tray with swirled paint (as I have seen in youtube videos), yes Dragonflys method is different, applying the paint directly on the enclosure and using a toothpick to swirl.

I have tried this a couple of times with moderate success.

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

amz-fx

There is a photo of one of my attempts in my Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/amzfx/

regards, Jack

ps: I would have posted the pic here but I don't have a copy on hand.