Anti-static foams?

Started by jpm83, February 05, 2008, 11:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

What kind of foams are anti-static? I'm looking for an different alternatives you may have in your home or you can buy from local "el-cheapo" store to protect your mosfets and cmos stuff when storing them in bags or in a box.

Janne

dpresley58

I recently picked up a 24x36 sheet and I -think- I got it here. http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=930-0015&SEARCH=&MPN=12250&DESC=12250&R=930%2D0015&sid=47A7A700A6D617F It was cut into strips that fit those tackle boxes and I loaded those with my chips and such. Turned out to be a good solution - definitely a good alternative to fishing around the box of electrostatic bags I -was- keeping those components in.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

jpm83

So there really isn't an alternatives for the real deal?

Janne

dpresley58

I think the whole idea is to get nonconductive foam, which apparently is an item of its own. Either that, or I've succumbed yet again to Madison Avenue hype.  :icon_redface:
I just went ahead and bought the 24x36 sheet and went to work with an Xacto knife. It was reassuring to see it has the same look, texture and workability of the stuff my chip orders come with. Although I didn't think to ask anyone on the forum about it, I probably went through gyrations similar to what you're going through... looking around the shop and checking out packing materials for something that looked suitable. In the end, though, I figured get the "real deal" was probably safer all the way around. Gotta lotta bucks tied up in chips to be risking them on the wrong foam.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

jpm83

Thanks  for answering I just found a electronics supplier here in Finland that sels anti-static bags, so I think have to wait till I got stuff enough to order from them to cover the shipping costs.

Janne