Would there be an idea to put temperature stabilation diode to GEOFEX ge tester?

Started by jpm83, February 09, 2008, 02:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put temperature stabilization diode to GEOFEX germanium tranny tester or would it throw measurements off badly?

Janne

R.G.

It confuses the results. A "temperature stabilization diode" works in most cases by removing a proportional amount of leakage current from the base of the transistor. Since the leakage of the transistor you're measuring is one of the things you want to know to make a decision on whether the transistor is good or not, the stabilization diode helps cover up one of the things you're measuring.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mac

Math may change.
And given that what you measure today is going to be different in 6 months, I wouldn´t worry.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

jpm83

Thanks for replies. I just tested it by putting a leaky trannys E-B junction reverse to the socket where other tranny was under test and it immediately gave me something like 17mV, so that lead me to the conclusion that it will throw things off.

Janne